Broken Silence

Chapter Twenty-Two

"Are you sure you're going to be all right? I heard you pacing downstairs all night long; it seems like you didn't get any sleep at all."

Mrs. Everett kept fussing over Kane, making sure he had food for the road and smoothing his hair off of his forehead. It was such a motherly gesture and it tugged at his heart.

"I'll be fine, Mrs. Everett," he assured her for the tenth time. Then he shifted nervously from foot to foot. "But, in the off chance that this encounter doesn't end well, I'm afraid I must ask you for yet another favor."

Mrs. Everett's eyes snapped up to meet his gaze, a worried frown appearing on her face.

"I know I've no right to be asking you for anything else, but it's about Camille," Kane went on. "She can see to paying back the money you loaned me, if I don't come back. But if that happens, and Mother is...gone, would you please convince Camille not to stay at Briarwood all by herself? It wouldn't be good for her to stay in that house alone."

The silence that descended on the room was so thick and heavy it felt like Kane might suffocate from it.

"Of course we'll take care of Camille," Mrs. Everett said quietly. "But I don't like this sort of talk."

Kane managed a weak smile. "It's best to be prepared for anything," he said. He hesitated before continuing. "Also, about Camille. She's always been prone to sleep-walking. And night terrors. I fear her time at Blackbird is going to make them worse for a while. If she's just asleep you can steer her back to bed, but try not to wake her. If she has a night terror, it will be best to take her outside in the snow. The cold tends to jar her back to reality better than anything. She'll be in a bit of a state for a while after."

He realized he was talking very fast and snapped his mouth closed. He didn't want to tell anyone about Camille's sleep walking and her nightmares but if she was going to stay with the Everetts, they needed to know. Mrs. Everett lay a gentle hand on his arm.

"I've been known to suffer from nightmares myself from time to time," she said softly. "I'll look after her."

Kane gave her a grateful smile as Mr. Everett wrapped an arm around his wife's shoulders. He sighed and handed something to Kane, wrapped in a cloth. Curious, Kane unwrapped it and found a polished and impressive gun.

"In case you need it," Mr. Everett said gruffly.

"I'm surprised the girls haven't come down to see you off," Mrs. Everett said.

"They're angry with me," Kane sighed. "But I'd rather them be angry and alive than get their way and be killed. My uncle has no shred of humanity or decency in him."

"I'm sure they'll come around," Mrs. Everett said. She startled Kane by hugging him suddenly. "Do be careful, Kane," she whispered.

"I will," he promised. He shouldered the bag of supplies Mrs. Everett had thrust upon him and tucked the gun beneath his shirt. He glanced toward the second story of the house once he was outside; where he knew Malina's room was. He wasn't surprised that she had chosen not to say goodbye, but he was stung that Camille hadn't either. He knew, despite his best efforts to remain confident, that there was a chance he may not survive the confrontation with his uncle. Reuben was going to want him dead, and had no qualms about making it happen.

With a heavy sigh Kane turned away from the Everett house and set off. He was going to go on foot for a while, and then take a train. By now he was sure Reuben knew Camille had escaped and he didn't want to risk being spotted by any of the people Reuben knew in London. He had reached the edge of London by the time night was beginning to fall and he was bone tired and freezing. The sky was gray and the nip in the air suggested it was going to start snowing soon.

He came across a small inn by the shore and briefly considered staying for the night but chose instead to push on. He trekked all through the night, his eyes feeling sore and gritty by the time the sun began to rise. When he came across another small inn tucked at the edge of the marshes he finally procured a room and fell into bed with his cloak and shoes still on.

He was woken in the morning by the sharp hunger pains in his stomach and rolled over with a groan. After fixing his disheveled appearance he trudged downstairs to get something to eat before getting on the road again. He kept to the trees instead of on the open path as he went along, tugging his coat tighter around himself as a flurry of snow began to fall. After a time, he heard a twig snap behind him. He didn't falter, not wanting anyone following him to realize he had noticed. He quickened his strides as evening began, slipping into the shadows of the trees and ducking down.

Kane had heard a few more branches snap, and was sure he had a murmuring of voices. Someone was following him. He stayed hunkered behind his tree, pulling free the gun Mr. Everett had given him.

"Where did he go?" someone hissed.

"He's here somewhere. Trust me."

The whisperers came into view at the exact moment he recognized the second voice. Surprise was quickly followed by a surge of anger and a sharp pang of fear. Malina and Camille came creeping across the snow, bundled up so tightly in their coats their faces were barely visible.

"Do you think he heard us?" Malina asked as they went past his hiding spot. Kane tucked the gun back into his waistband and stood once they were past him.

"For two people so small you make an abundance of noise," he said icily. They both jumped and whirled around with startled squeaks. Kane crossed his arms and glared at them.

"What the hell are you two doing here?" he demanded. Malina pushed her hood back and glared right back at him. Camille looked half defiant and half chagrined.

"We weren't about to just sit back there waiting," Camille said.

"We can take care of ourselves and we're tired of everyone treating us like we're made of glass," Malina added fiercely. Kane felt his jaw clench.

"This is the most reckless thing you've ever done, Camille," he said. "And you dragged Malina into it too."

"It was my idea," Malina snapped. "Camille just agreed to it."

"And what's going to happen if you get hurt?" Kane snapped back, his voice rising. "Your family is going to be worried sick about you!"

"Kane-" Camille began.

"I don't want to hear anymore," he interrupted. He strode forward and took both their arms, steering them through the trees. "I can't very well send you trekking back through the snow so you'll have to come with me," he grumbled. They walked in silence until they found a small house. No one was home; it seemed they hadn't been in some time. Kane ushered them inside and started a fire without a word. He tossed them each some of the food Mrs. Everett had packed for him and marched toward one of the bedrooms, closing the door harder than he meant to.

He slept fitfully and rose early the next morning, finding that Malina and Camille had fallen asleep in front of the fire. The sun wasn't even up yet. Sighing, Kane shed his coat and draped it over them before rummaging around quietly until he found a few blankets and laid those over the coats. Then he went outside and sat on the porch while the sun came up.

He heard the girls wake up and start talking in hushed voices. After a few minutes they came bursting out the front door and toppled over him.

"We thought you had tried to sneak off without us," Camille said.

"It wouldn't be of any use," Kane said. "You'd still follow me. Eat something and let's go."

"What about you?"

"I'm not hungry."

Camille didn't push him, but she did hand him back his coat when they came back outside. "You'll freeze without it," she murmured. Kane shrugged into the coat and stuffed his hands in the pockets as they walked. No one spoke for hours. Camille walked in the middle, occasionally glancing at Kane but he just stared ahead. Malina stubbornly kept her arms crossed over her chest and also stared straight ahead. It seemed neither she nor Kane wanted to be the first to break the silence.

"All right, you two, enough of this," Camille finally burst out. "We can't carry on like this. Say something to each other."

"I have nothing to say," Malina sniffed.

"Neither do I," Kane grumbled.

"Well you should!" Malina snapped, rounding on him. "You lied to me!"

"I already explained that I thought it best if your family didn't know who I was," Kane said in exasperation.

"But we were alone for days on the way to Blackbird! You could have told me then!"

"I-you're right. I could have. But it didn't seem important at the time, what with the ship sinking and all."

"And you said you weren't going to leave me!" she said accusingly.

"I wasn't leaving you! I had to go home and I had to do this on my own."

"We're not helpless!" Malina shouted at him. "You didn't have to go alone!"

"Yes, I did."

"I helped you save Camille, and she already defended herself against your uncle once!"

"Yes, because I wasn't there to stop him!" Kane snarled. Malina jerked in surprise and Camille gasped faintly.

"I already failed to protect Camille from him once," Kane went on. He seemed unable to make himself stop talking. "How am I supposed to live with myself if he hurts her again? How am I supposed to live with myself if he hurts you, Malina? I promised your father I wouldn't let anything happen to you, and you shouldn't have even been mixed up in this mess to begin with. It's my fault, because I couldn't just leave you be. I couldn't stop myself from talking to you."

Malina stilled, going abruptly quiet.

"You can't protect everyone all the time," Camille said finally. "We want to help you."

Kane shook his head, turning away and walking into the trees, trying to clear his head.

"Just leave him be for a few minutes," he heard Camille whisper. Then he felt her hand on his arm.

"It's not your fault," Camille said gently. "We both know the danger involved, Kane. But you've been taking care of my all our lives. I can't let you face this alone. You're the only brother I have. And Malina wants to help too. She wants to prove herself."

"She doesn't need to prove anything to me," Kane mumbled. Camille smiled.

"That doesn't mean she doesn't want to. Come on, we're all going to freeze if we just keep standing here."

So they were off again, though their trek was still mostly quiet. They pushed on through the night, all weary and relieved to find themselves in a town again. Kane paid for three rooms, so no one had to wait to take a warm bath. He was sure icicles must be hanging off of his face by now. The hot water was the best thing he'd ever felt and he sank gratefully onto the bed as he ran a towel over his damp hair. He realized Camille must have accidentally taken his bag and crossed to her room to retrieve a shirt.

She was still in the washroom so he proceeded to find his bag and rummage through it. The door opened behind him.

"Camille, I think I left my shoes in here-" Malina broke off in surprise when she saw Kane standing there. He stared stupidly back at her for a few moments, realizing that he should probably put his shirt on. Malina's face was beet red.

"Sorry," he muttered, hastily shrugging into the shirt and buttoning it. He cursed silently when he realized the buttons were all crooked.

"I've seen you without a shirt before," Malina said, and if possible her cheeks grew even redder.

"Yes, well." Kane scooped up his bag and tried to edge gingerly around her to get out the door. They stepped in the same direction and Malina ran smack into him. They both tried to fumble apart and Kane dropped his bag. He bent to retrieve it, wanting to kick himself. He stood up hastily, nearly sending Malina flying into the wall. He caught her as she stumbled, and wound up more or less embracing her with one arm while the other held his bag. She nervously tucked a strand of hair out of her face.

"Sorry," they said simultaneously. Malina let out a breathless, nervous little laugh and Kane realized his arm was still wrapped around her waist. He supposed he should let go of her but she wasn't moving away so he stayed where he was, holding still in case he moved too suddenly and shattered the moment.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you who I was," he said quietly. "And I'm sorry I didn't make it clear to you that I had every intention of coming back. I felt I needed to face Reuben alone, because I can't stand the idea of you or Camille being hurt. But I was going to come back, Mouse. As soon as it was all over I was going to come straight back to London and I was going to tell you everything. But I should have told you sooner."

Malina bit her lip, not answering right away. Finally she asked, "before, you said you couldn't resist talking to me. What did you mean?"

Kane stared at her. "Haven't you figured that out yet, Malina?"

He bent his head and kissed her, softly at first, fearing she's pull away from him. But her hands lifted to rest on his shoulders and he tugged her closer, letting go of his bag so he could wrap both arms around her. He lifted his lips from hers and left a trail of kisses across her jaw and to her neck. She made a startled little noise and he instantly pulled back, letting go of her waist and grabbing her hands.

"I'm sorry," he said softly. Malina opened her mouth to reply but was interrupted by someone clearing their throat. Malina's face went scarlet as Kane whirled around to see Camille leaning in the doorway of the washroom.

"You two may want to consider at least closing the door," she said mildly. Kane felt his own face flush. He shot Malina an apologetic look before grabbing his bag and mumbling goodnight. Then he escaped back to his own room and leaned against the door, trying to get his head to stop spinning.