Broken Silence

Chapter Seven

“Do you really think Uncle Colt’s ghost really lives in the house?”

Malina stared up at the starry night sky from her spot sitting on the roof, while Scamp lied back against it and messed with a slingshot he'd made earlier that day. He glanced up to give her an odd look at the completely random question.

“Mum says she saw him,” he shrugged. “Makes no sense to me, though. I'd say that his ghost would be in the same place he died.”

There was a soft snapping noise behind them, and Scamp suddenly shot upright, looking over his shoulder. His vibrant blue eyes, which he'd in fact inherited from his Uncle Colt, were wide as saucers. Percy often told him that with his blue eyes and the rest of his darker features, he looked almost exactly like his Uncle. He was the only one who actually inherited the blue eyes. The rest of them had their mother’s golden brown, and their fathers dark, nearly black brown eyes.

“Relax,” Malina smirked. “It's like you think he'll hurt you.”

Scamp relaxed slightly, though he remained sitting upright.

“How was Jacob’s boat?” Malina asked.

“I didn't go, either,” he admitted. “I met with a friend instead. I don't know why anyone would want to listen to Jake brag about his wealth and success.”

“Was is a friend, or a friend?” Malina asked.

“I had her up against the wall and her housekeeper walked in on us,” he said flatly.

“Scamp!” Malina scowled. “Why would you tell me that?!”

“To remind you not to ask questions you don't want the answers to,” he snapped.

“You're disgusting.”

Scamp rolled his eyes and carefully started inching down from the roof, swinging around the edge and through Malina's open bedroom window on the second floor. She followed after him, nearly slipping on the way.

“You know, Jacob’s boat sounded really nice,” Scamp said slowly. “Maybe you should just try it. It won't even leave the docks-”

“I don't want to, Dudley.”

Scamp shut up immediately. No one called him by his real name, rather than the nickname he had since he was a toddler, unless they were completely serious or angry with him. He gave her an apologetic smile.

“I'll just go to bed,” he said, snapping the unloaded slingshot in her direction to make her jump. “Good night.”

Malina didn't respond to him, sitting on the edge of her bed and listening as he closed her door behind him. She sighed and crawled under the covers, pulling it over her head and sitting in pitch black darkness. Of course it was fun on Jacob’s boat. The problem wasn't the boat. As she fell asleep, she could almost feel cold waves washing over her head.

.::.::.::.::.


Malina could barely keep up with all the people trying to get her attention around her, waving empty mugs around and yelling rather rude things in hopes she'd service them.

“I'll be with you in just a minute,” she called to one of the men at the bar, struggling to carry all the dirty dishes in her arms.

She turned and yelped softly as she slipped on a spilled drink and fell, everything her her arms crashing down around her. Luckily, nothing broke, but she felt herself turn red knowing that everyone was staring. To top it all off, the pink ribbon tying her hair back had come loose, and her hair was falling in her face.

“Here, let me help you with that.”

Someone knelt down in front of her and helped her pick everything up. When she looked up, she realized it was Kane. She nearly dropped everything again as she stood back up, unsure of what to say.

“Oh, um, thank you,” she stammered, turning away.

“You can't carry all that on your own,” he said. “Let me take a few plates.”

“No, I can manage,” she reassured him.

The wobbling stack said otherwise, and he took about half of it from her despite her protests. The charming smile he gave her shut her up instantly. She quickly led him to the back where the rest of the dirty dishes were, setting everything down with a soft sigh. Kane followed suit, smiling at her.

“You work hard,” he noted.

“I do,” she said with a nervous, tired laugh.

“I suppose a person does what they must for the money they need,” he said.

Malina blushed again, looking down at her feet. The truth was that she didn't need the money. While she did dress modestly when she would come to work at the tavern, Malina had never wanted for anything in her life. Anything she wanted, her father would have it in her hands in an instant. She didn't like being spoiled, but she had to admit that as the only little girl in the family, she'd always been the princess. And here was Kane, who fought on the streets in exchange for the little money made from the gambling. Despite how cultured he may have sounded, she doubted he did the fights for the fun of it.

“Yes,” was all she could say.

“May I?” he asked, holding out his hand and glancing at the ribbon Malina had taken out of her hair.

She cautiously handed it to him, and he surprised her when he suddenly put his arms around her to firmly tie her hair back and out of her. She was so close to him, she felt she could see the flecks of brown in his blue eyes. Here was the blush again, betraying her when she tried to remain calm. He tied the ribbon in a nice bow, then brought his hands back to rest one on her shoulder and tilt her chin up with the other.

“That might help,” he said quietly. “Forgive me if I've overstepped my boundaries.”

Malina wanted to say that it was alright, but only a weak little squeak came out of her. He chuckled and stepped back.

“Like a little mouse,” he said, moving away and breaking the moment. “May I ask you something? Do you have a brother? If so, I believe I may have encountered him.”

“Which one?” Malina grimaced.

He seemed a little confused by her already embarrassed expression.

“Well, he's quite tall, and he has black hair, like yourself.”

Well that narrows it down to all of them, Malina thought, praying no one had embarrassed her. She wasn't sure why she cared so much, but if it was someone like Scamp, he surely would have said something to make her look bad.

“He had a young boy with him. I believe it was his son. Unfortunately, his name escapes me.”

Malina sighed in relief, making Kane a little more confused.

“Isaac,” she said, relieved it was her only truly mature brother.

“Yes, Isaac,” Kane nodded with a grin. “He had come to visit Lionel.”

“Lionel?” Malina frowned. “What were you doing at Lionel's workshop?”

Kane's smile disappeared, and he stiffened a little bit. Malina suddenly realized how personal of a question that might have been, and bit her bottom lip to keep from saying anything else. Her head snapped up when the door to the back room opened, and Catarina walked in. She stopped and looked between the two of them with a raised brow.

“Lina, darling, I need your help in the kitchen, please,” she said slowly, eyeing Kane suspiciously.

“Yes, Aunt Cat,” Malina said. “I'll come in a moment.”

Cat nodded and glanced at Kane once more before leaving the room again. Kane just gave her another charming smile. He waited until they were alone before speaking again, lowering his voice a bit.

“I'd like to see you again,” he said, surprising Malina.

“You would?” she squeaked.

“Perhaps when you're finished here tonight,” he suggested. “You know where I will be.”

“Really?”

“Of course,” he nodded. “You are my lucky charm, after all. I need to keep you on my good side.”

“My father will worry if I come home too late,” she said quietly.

“Tomorrow, then?”

“Tomorrow,” Malina agreed, without realizing it.

“Good,” he grinned. “I will see you then, Mouse.”

He winked at her before he left, leaving Malina stunned. She went to the kitchen to help her Aunt with the cooking, pretending to be sick until Luke finally sent her home and told her not to come back the next day. She pretended to be upset, but was a little relieved. At least she wouldn't have to worry about sneaking away from work to see Kane. She had trouble sleeping that night, only getting a few hours in before leaping out of bed and getting dressed early in the morning. She made sure to powder her nose and apply rouge to her cheeks and lips, which she didn't often do to go to work. Rather than a simple dress, she wore something a little bit nicer, and put on some pretty pearl jewelry her father had given her for her birthday. She hurried down the stairs, but Percy stopped her before she could dart out the door.

“Where on earth are you going?” he asked her, eyeing her outfit suspiciously.

“Work,” she lied.

“Dressed like that?” Percy asked. “Malina, I thought you knew better than this. You're going to get harassed.”

“I can manage,” she told him.

“Lina, go change,” he said.

“But this is what I want to wear!” she whined.

“Who are you trying to impress?”

“No one!” she half-lied. “Can't a girl dress up just to feel pretty every now and then?”

“You can play dress up to go anywhere but The Smokes,” Percy said sternly. “Go change.”

“But I-”

“Malina, don't make me ask you twice.”

She pursed her lips and stormed back up to her room to change, grumbling the entire time. As much as she didn't like having to change into something simply and common again, it couldn't have been worse than making her father ask twice.