‹ Prequel: Untangle Me
Status: Active

12 Years of Secrets

Back to Hogwarts

The next few days spent with Harry passed quickly and it wasn't long before Ron and his family arrived back from holiday in Egypt and Hermione arrived. Before I knew it, it was time to go back to school.

The train was packed full of students and it seemed as though every compartment was full as we walked down the train. Eventually Hermione halted to a stop and pulled open a door that had a sleeping body in.

"This is the only free one, come on guys." she said and took a seat opposite the sleeping person.
"Wonder who he is?" asked Ron curiously.
"Professor R.J. Lupin." Hermione answered instantaneously. She pointed up to his trunk in the holding compartment when Ron looked shocked and impressed. "It's on his suitcase, Ronald." she said with a roll of her eyes.
"So d'you think he'll be our new Defence teacher?" I asked.
"Most likely, he's got to be better than the last one though, right?" Harry replied.
"Well since the last one would have happily modified our memories and left us with the brain capacity of a slobber worm, I think anyone is better." I nodded.
"Reckon he's really asleep?" Harry asked eyeing the sleeping figure suspiciously.
"He seems to be, why?" asked Ron.
"I have to tell you guys something.."

Harry recalled to us what Mr Weasley had told him this morning before we left for Kings Cross. Sirius Black had escaped from Azkaban to come after Harry. To find him and to kill him.

"You really can't catch a break can you?" I sighed. Harry shrugged.
"They'll catch him though, won't they? I mean everyone is looking for him." Hermione asked looking scared.
"Sure," replied Ron, "except no one has ever broken out of Azkaban before and he's a murderous raving lunatic."
"Thanks, Ron." Harry grimaced.

We talked more in hushed voices about Black and what Harry could do to avoid being potentially murdered.

"Reckon they'll let you go Hogsmeade even though they know it's you he's after?" I asked.
"Even if they could, I doubt they would." He replied grumpily.
"Why not, mate?" Ron asked.
"Well I sorta blew up Aunt Marge before Uncle Vernon got a chance to sign my permission slip and there was no chance of them signing it afterwards." shrugged Harry.
"That's unfair! McGonagall knows how they treat you, I'm sure if you spoke to her and asked she would let you go." Hermione suggested.
"Yeah, maybe.." Harry replied.

Just then the train shook to a stop and I was almost thrown from my seat next to Hermione. The lights of the train flickered on and off and an eerie silence seemed to stretch on for miles.

"What's going on?" Harry quizzed.
"We can't be there yet, it's too early." Hermione said. "I'll go check the corridors."

Hermione slid open the compartment door and looked both ways. The voices of other students all asking the same questions filled the air.
Ron who was sat next to the window, had his face pressed against the glass and was staring out with a look of fear etched upon his face.

"Guys, I think there's something moving out there, and it's coming aboard.." he whispered.

The train jolted again and the lights flickered. I searched for Hermione's hand and squeezed it so tight I heard her whimper but she never let go. The four of us watched in fear as the compartment door swung open and a long skeletal hand reached in. A large, hooded black figure floated in. Whatever this was smelt like decay and the sickly sweet flowers that people used to mask the scent of death.
I felt as though I'd never be able to crack a smile again. The compartment was freezing and all I could see was the clouds of breathe that rose as Harry, Ron, Hermione and I panicked.

The figure spotted Harry and turned to him with its mouth opened wide. I watched in horror as Harry passed out and fell to the floor. I wanted so badly to help him but I had no idea what I was dealing with here.

The sleeping figure that was R.J Lupin rose with his wand drawn towards the black figure. Whatever spell he cast caused a brilliant, blinding white light that seemed almost ethereal and made the hooded creature retreat. Once out of the compartment, the man bent, picked up Harry and lay him along the seats he had previously occupied.

"This young man is Harry Potter."

It was more of a statement than a question. Hermione nodded in response.

"Yes, sir." she confirmed.

Now that he was not hidden by his cloak, I was able to get a full view of the man who had been sleeping in our compartment. He was tall with blue eyes and blonde hair that looked limp and was greying before his time. His clothes were shabby and looked old. This man couldn't have been much older than my mum but he looked at least twice her age and twice as tired, due to the scars that littered his face.

The shabby man woke Harry who looked pale and dazed as he came to. I handed him his glasses which he accepted graciously and slid onto his face.

"What happened?" he asked as he sat up straight. "What were those things?"
"Dementors. They guard Azkaban usually but they were searching the train for Sirius Black." Lupin explained.
"And did any of you lot, y'know, pass out?" Harry asked and his cheeks flushed.
"No," answered Ron, "But I felt like the happiness had been sucked out of my body."
"Me too, now I finally know how sour grape Snape must feel all the time." I said.

I could have sworn I heard R.J Lupin chuckle but when I looked at him all traces of a smile were wiped from his face but in his eyes I still saw the twinkle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Some bits are taken from the film, others the book. I don't own anything that's obviously not mine, Ezra, Odell for example.
Doing this story with as much detail as I can so expect it to be quite long. Hope you enjoy it!

X