‹ Prequel: Untangle Me
Status: Active

12 Years of Secrets

Start of Term Feast

The Sorting was always an interesting occasion, watching who became the new Gryffindors and I remember how not so long ago it was me up there. It wasn't as fun however without Harry who had been forced to see Madam Pompfrey, much to his dismay obviously.
It wasn't until after The Sorting that Harry returned with McGonagall that Dumbledore stood to make his usual speech. As he reached the podium, the deafening chatter of The Great Hall died down instantaneously. He looked over his half moon spectacles and smiled down at us, pausing at Harry and I only momentarily.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious," Dumbledore said gravely, "I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..." he finished in a much cheerier tone.

"As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business." he explained, "They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds, and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission." he said knowingly with a small smile at Fred and George who caught my eye and gave me a thumbs up, both of them wearing identical grins.

"Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises - or even Invisibility Cloaks." Dumbledores eyes flickered in Harry's direction. I felt Harry shift uncomfortably next to me. "It is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the dementors," Dumbledore said with a tone that said this was final, "and remember, happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times. If one only remembers to turn on the light."

"On a happier note, I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

Three houses clapped and their was a few scattered claps from the Slytherin table.

"As to our second new appointment, well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."

Harry, Ron, Hermione and I all cheered and whooped loudly as Hagrid waved somewhat awkwardly but cheerful none the less down at us.

"Well, I think that is everything of importance. Let the feast begin!"

Food appeared on the plates in front of us and I laughed as I watched the first years faces lit up with amazement. Hogwarts really was everything everyone said it was. Magical.

"I can't believe they've got that hairy buffoon teaching classes now!" Draco's voice carried loudly over to the Gryffindor table.

I spun round with a flash, my temper rising quickly. "And I can't believe your parents didn't sell you in Diagon Alley when they saw your face after you were born, Malfoy."

"How dare you, filthy blood traitor! Better be careful, your Daddy might get to Harry before The Dark Lord does." Malfoy sneered.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" I snapped.

"Oh, don't tell me you don't know! Mind you, I wouldn't want to know either if he was my dad. Thank Merlin I come from a higher caliber of Wizard."

"Shut your mouth, Malfoy!" Harry said dangerously.

"Ignore him, Ezra." Hermione said grabbing my arm and turning me back to the table.

Ron had grabbed Harry and turned him back towards the table too where he was breathing heavily and stabbing his potatoes rather violently.

"What was he talking about, when he said 'daddy'?" Harry asked.

"I don't know, he couldn't have meant my dad. My dad died before I was born." I said obviously.

"But why would he say it then?" Harry snapped.

"You know what Malfoy is like, Harry. It's not Ezra's fault. It was her he was having a go at." Hermione said gently.

"Right. Er, sorry Ez."

I nodded at Harry and didn't speak to him for the rest of the feast and he made no effort to speak to me. I knew it was because he felt awkward and bad for snapping at me. The truth was I was just as clueless as he was about whatever Malfoy meant.

Once the feast ended, the four of us went up to Hagrid go congratulate him on his new post. Feeling annoyed at Harry still, I bid them all goodnight and job quickly to catch up with Fred and George and were leaving the Great Hall.

"Good evening, Ezra." The twins said in unison.

"Hi boys. How are my two favourite Weasley's?" I asked smiling up at both of them. They stood a good head and shoulders above me. Damn that tall Weasley gene. Even Ginny was catching up to me.

"Stupendous." They said together, once again.

"That's good to hear." I replied, "You two seem awfully mischievous tonight."

"Let's just say, Ezra my love, Filch has got his first day cut out for him." Fred laughed and produced a series of multi-coloured balls that looked like large marbles from his robe pocket.

"What are those? I asked reaching for one but Fred closed his hand quickly and held it in the air out of my reach.

"Ah ah," tutted Fred, "eyes only!"

"They're prototypes, very delicate, very important." George explained.

"It's a work in progress, we worked on them over summer but now that we're back to school, we have to make some sort of effort." continued Fred.

"Which means more pranks than potions." finished George. "Next summer though, we're going to have a full line ready for the start of term to sell to students."

"You boys sure do dream big!" I laughed.

Before I knew it we had arrived at Gryffindor tower.

"Well, Ezra.. This is where we leave you." Fred said.

"We have some pranking to do." George said with a cheeky smile.

"Right, well try and be careful. Goodnight boys."

They each wrapped an arm around me and pulled me into a hug. I hugged them back and when they released me, Fred placed a kiss on my forehead. I pulled away looking nervously at the ground.

"Goodnight, Ezra." They said together and turned down the corridor, talking in hushed voices.

Once they had turned at the bottom of the corridor, I entered the Gryffindor common room which was still reasonably empty and made my way up to my dormitory. I found my bed that was furthest away from the door and opened my trunk that was sat at the foot of my bed. Stifling a yawn I pulled out a pair of pyjamas and quickly got changed. I was asleep before Hermione came up to bed, today hadn't been as great as expected.
♠ ♠ ♠
For every chapter I write, I'll post the previous one and start another. I'm just too excited for this story!
Ezra is like a sassy, female version of her dad. And I mentioned Fred and George having early ideas for their joke shop but no money to fund it so their prototypes are all home made from Molly's spice rack with a few left over ingredients from potions.
Hope you're liking it so far.

X