Explosions

I love it how I can't resist the way you are.

After a big road win over the Raiders in week two, the team was hyped up. J.J. couldn’t stop smiling for almost three days, despite his workouts and everyone on the team poking fun at him. Charlie had massaged his shoulders when he came home every evening, and in return, he’d cooked dinner for her. He was exhausted, but he loved her and appreciated her.

Charlie was hard at work on her next project, beginning marketing Christmas ideas. She had rolled her eyes when George had given her the task, but as she was reminded, it was never too early to start thinking about Christmas. So now she was burdened with asking people about Christmas.

“Where the hell do I ask people about Christmas when it’s fucking September?” she sighed over a bowl of teriyaki chicken and rice.

“You could call my mom,” said J.J. “She loves Christmas. And she loves you.”

“Well, I need more than just your mom’s opinion,” said Charlie, “even though I love your mom too.”

J.J. grinned and asked, “How’s dinner?”

“It’s delicious, honey,” said Charlie. “Thank you.”

“No problemo,” said J.J. “Hey, just wanted to let you know that Ryan’s coming over tomorrow.”

“What for?” asked Charlie.

“Not much, just bro time,” replied J.J. “Video games or whatever.”

“This has nothing with you trying to assert your dominance over him?”

“No? Why would I try to do that?”

Charlie crossed her arms.

“Look, I’m not afraid he’s going to steal you away,” said J.J. “I just think it’s important for us to bond. We’re on the same team, and I don’t know a ton about him. Plus, now that this thing is out in the open, I don’t want people to think I’m shutting him out.”

“No, I think they’ll be thinking you’re trying too hard to prove something,” said Charlie.

“Prove what?”

“I don’t know. I just…” Charlie shook her head and took J.J.’s hands. “Do you remember when we went to Pewaukee, and we ran into your old girlfriend, Kelly?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay, and you remember how your mom thought it would be a good idea if she came with us to lunch? And she kept telling me all these things about you?”

“Yeah, I guess so. Why?”

“Well, she told me all these things that were about you when you dated her, but you weren’t the same person anymore. She had given me all of this information that was no longer valid.”

“And you’re afraid Ryan’s going to feed me some false information about you?” J.J. inquired.

“Not necessarily afraid. Just more concerned.”

“Charlotte,” J.J. said. He leaned in almost so their noses were touching. “I’ve been dating you for two and a half years now. I think I know you pretty well. Whatever he knows about you, it’s not the same. You were what – 21? You’re 27 now, babe. That’s a little bit of time.”

“I know, but”-

Charlotte. What could he possibly know about you that I don’t already know? Okay? Plus, he’s not coming over here to talk about you. He doesn’t talk about you in the locker room. He doesn’t talk about you at lunch. He doesn’t talk about you because he knows it’s not his place. It’s standard bro code.”

Charlie laughed and said, “Bro code?”

“It’s real. Please, don’t worry about me. Don’t worry about him.”

He kissed her lightly on the lips, and she smiled.

“Okay,” she said. “I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have to be sorry,” said J.J. “And, you know, maybe you could ask him about Christmas stuff.”

Charlie playfully smacked his cheek and said, “Sure, I’m sure he’ll be thrilled.”

“Then call my mom! I swear, she will help you.”
J.J.’s Saturday call from his mother came right on time. He put his feet up next to him on the couch and answered it.

“Hey, ma,” he said. “How’s things today?”

“I’m great, everything’s great, we’re all great,” said Connie. “You think I called to tell you about some crap here in Wisconsin?”

“Well, I don’t know,” said J.J. “That’s why you usually call.”

“I wanna know about your girlfriend!” replied Connie. “Can I call her that now? It’s Charlie, right? You haven’t said much about her.”

“Well, it’s official now,” said J.J.

He held the phone away from his ear as his mom let out an inhuman screech.

“I’m so proud of you!” she shrieked.

“Mom, she’s the most incredible person I’ve ever met,” he replied. “She went to Harvard.
Harvard. She’s so smart, and she’s so beautiful.”

“When do we get to meet her?” asked Connie.

“I was thinking of bringing her up on our bye week. It’s in October, and we’ll both be free, I think. I haven’t asked her yet. Are you and dad coming down for a game soon?”

“Yes, I think we’re coming down in two weeks. Should we expect an introduction then?”

“I would be prepared for it, yes.”

“Justin, you’ve sounded so much happier these last few weeks. I mean, you were always happy, but it’s just different.”

“She makes me feel so…I don’t know. I feel like a completely new person with her.”

“Well, I can’t wait to meet her,” said Connie.

“Mom…I think I’m falling in love with her,” said J.J.

“Oh, Justin.”

“I know we’ve only been dating a month or so. And I know it sounds like I’m being this, like, high school romantic, but she just makes me feel so…so…amazing? I don’t know, there isn’t a word for it.”

“Well, when you know, you know.”

“Did you know?”

“Yes,” replied Connie. “Your father and I had been dating a few months, but I knew.”

“Ma, I can’t wait for you to meet her. You will love her.”

“I’m sure I will.”

“Well, listen,” said J.J. “You just tell me when you want to come down, and I’ll make it happen.”

“Justin, I”-

“No arguing, Mom. Maybe you won’t get to meet her. We’ll see.”

“Okay, okay, okay.”

“I’m going to go now. It was good talking to you, as usual.”

“I love you, J.J.,” said Connie. “Stay healthy.”

“Love you too, mama,” said J.J.

He hung up the phone. He heard light footsteps coming down the hall, followed by a small yawn. He stood up off the couch. Charlie was wearing an old Badgers shirt of his, and J.J. couldn’t help but smile at her.

“Who was that?” she yawned.

He put his hands on her waist and said, “It was my mom. She wants to meet you. The whole family does.”

“Okay,” said Charlie. “I want to meet them too.”

She smiled and put her arms around his neck. She stood on her tiptoes and kissed him. He put a hand on the side of her face and returned the kiss, this time deeper. She giggled as he picked her up, and she wrapped her legs around him. His heart skipped a beat. Suddenly, he was swept up in her again. He loved it.

It was around ten when June called Charlie. She was just getting into bed when her phone rang. She wasn’t going to answer it, but when she saw who it was, she decided otherwise.

“Hello?” she said.

“Hey there, Char,” said June. “Have you been online lately?”

“Not really,” said Charlie. “Why?”

“You’re apparently a big hit,” replied June.

“What?” said Charlie. “Where?”

“Everywhere. The video is from NFL’s website. Go look.”

“Video?” said Charlie, grabbing her computer. “What video?”

“Of J.J. at the post-game press conference. I saw someone post it on my Facebook.”

“Jesus, no,” sighed Charlie. She rolled her eyes as the headline came across her screen.

Drama in Houston? Watt, Fitzpatrick Lady Troubles.

“Who the fuck does this?” said Charlie. “This was like a week and a half ago, and J.J. clearly said that everything is fucking fine.”

“I just thought you should hear it from me, darling,” replied June.

“I know,” said Charlie. “Thank you.”

“Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. Still a little weird, but it’s fine. Apparently, J.J.’s hanging out with Ryan more now. Some sort of bro code? I’m not really sure. He told me, but I don’t get it.”

“Well, that’s great that nothing’s affecting the team, right?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

“You think so?”

“I just think it’s a little weird that they’re hanging out together, don’t you?”

“No. They’re guys. They’re on the same football team.” June paused. “You’re over-thinking things again, aren’t you?”

“Probably,” Charlie groaned.

“Okay, well you deal with that,” said June, “and I’m sorry again about this shit with your little love triangle scandal – if that’s what you could call it. I just wanted to call and warn you.”

“Thanks, June,” said Charlie. “Call again soon. This time, no bad news, okay?”

“Can’t promise it,” laughed June. “Bye, Char.”

“Bye, June,” said Charlie.

She hung up and scanned the article in front of her. Elliott, a graduate of Harvard, dated the quarterback during her college days. Though currently dating Watt, an awkward air hangs around NRG Stadium.

“Hey, what’s going on?” J.J. asked.

Charlie looked up and handed her computer to him. She watched his eyes navigating the page, but he shook his head and handed it back.

“Just ignore it,” he said.

“But they think”-

“It doesn’t matter what they think,” J.J. cut in. “You, Ryan, and I all know how it is. That’s all that matters. They’re just trying to get under your skin. Don’t let them. Okay?”

“Okay.”

She shut her computer and set it aside. She fell asleep staring at the ceiling, despite J.J. telling her every few minutes to relax. She just couldn’t.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy New Year, everyone! Here's to a bright and beautiful 2016, filled with football!

Title Credit: The Way We Touch | WE ARE TWIN