Status: I have a bit written but need to look it over

Diaries of the Man Upstairs

Sick Like a Dog

March 30th

Dan's still sick!
I thought it was just a small 12 hour thing but he's even worse today than he was yesterday by a lot!

Poor kid!
He's miserable.

He's hotter than yesterday.
He's only been awake for an hour total all day.

I'm worried.

4:15pm

Phil

I walk into Dan's room- well... our room but I slept in my room last night after he fell asleep. It's his room till he's better, unfortunately.

"Dan, do you want dinner," I ask.

I hear him groan really loud. I sigh, walking over to his limp body.

"I got you a baby cactus," I say, setting it on his bedside table.

"What?... oh... thanks." He reaches out to my hand but he misses it. I sit on the floor, grabbing his hand in both of mine.

"Feeling any better," I ask. He groans again, his way of saying no.

"It's time for medicine. But only if you eat... can I fix you something? Let me correct myself, what can I get you?" I kiss his hand and he pokes me on the nose.

I smile. "I love you, Dan. I really do. Now, I love having you right here and the ability to take care of you and give you all my attention. I do. But I cannot wait for you to get better! Not that you're hard to take care of or anything... I really miss you..."

"I love you too... can-can I have a sip," he asks. I grab the sippy cup of Sprite and help him drink. I put it in a sippy cup I found in the cabinets upstairs so it wouldn't spill all over him. He seemed pretty excited about it when I brought it in.

He squeezes my waist when he wants me to stop. I hadn't even noticed his arm around my waist.

He pulls me on top of him. I put my head in his neck, hearing him whine really loud.

"I hate this," he whispers and kisses my head. "I shouldn't be kissing you... or letting you kiss me... don't want you to get sick."

"I don't care," I whisper. I feel his hand slide lower on my back.

"What if I'm still sick when you get sick? We'd have to call my mum! I don't want my mum to meet you like that! I want her to meet happy little Phil." I kiss his neck. I feel him breath under me. Slowly. He must be drifting to sleep.

"I don't get sick very often. I have a tough immune system." I pull I thread off of his sleeve. He lets out a small whine.

"Mine is crap. Like how I feel! I'm hot, babe."

"Do you want me to get off?"

"Nooooo," he groans. I take off his tee shirt and put my head on his chest.

"Better," I ask. He nods. He slowly falls asleep, lightly snoring when he does. It's rare Dan snores but when he does, it means he's had an emotionally hard day or he has had a physically tiring day.

I can't tell which one it is today...

Earlier, I walked in on him crying... he never said why.

But when you are sick, you also become physically tired.

'He's so cute...' I look over to see him.

"Stay away from him," I whisper, stumbling up to protect Dan.

'You're killing him, Phil.'

"I gave him a brew, I have him meds, I take his clothes off for him, carry him so he doesn't have to walk even though it's exhausting and I have no muscle, I run him a bath, I fix his hair so he won't complain, I get him the paper and the remote and-"

'His doctors appointment is in an hour and you're letting him sleep.'

"CRAP! DAN WAKE UP!"
I roll off of him, onto the floor and start to dig for his jeans.

He wakes up, just to vomit, making me cringe because I'll have to clean it.

"Don't go back to sleep!" I throw his jeans at him.

"What's going on," he asks. I run over, kissing his neck.

"You've got a doctors appointment in an hour! We've gotta figure out how to make you a little less miserable... still spoiled like this if I can but better because I'm so tired of cleaning vomit!" I continue to kiss on his neck while he plays with my hair. He tugs on my hair when my tongue touches his skin. I giggle, giving him a big hickey. I feel his breathing change, making me smile.

"Babe! Are you done?" He pushes me off, making me frown. I pull on his pillow, kissing the mark I made and pulling off of him. "I'm sick, babe!"

"I know that but I don't care. I don't mind being sick. But you need to get your scrawny butt to the doctor! You can't eat and you're already tiny enough! You're running out of pants that'll fit you! And I want to kiss you on the mouth and you kiss me!" I start to put his shirt on him while he groans. I laugh.

"What underwear do you want, babe?"

"None. Sleep." He pulls the cover over him, pulling his legs to his chest.

"Okay but somethings gotta cover your bum when your trousers start to sag." I put a pair of black underwear on him and then his jeans.

I dig for some socks and his shoes, putting them on. I pull his jumper over his head.

"Bin! Bin! Bin!" I grab the bin for him, he nearly misses.

"That was a close one. Okay, I'm gonna hop in the shower because I smell like a certain someone and I'm sure the doctor doesn't want to think about that. Carry you to the couch?"

"Let's talk about this carrying thing, since when?" I smile really big.

"It was supposed to be a surprise... plus you're not that heavy... but your health comes first. Come on." I pick him up, carrying him to the couch.

"Hobbit hair, baby," he whines. I laugh, kissing his hair.

"It's okay. It's adorable. You get a hug and I'm off." I hug him, kissing his ear and pulling a blanket over him. He pushes it off with a frown.

"Take me to the bathroom! I need my protector near me!" He reaches for me like a baby. I hug him but he climbs on top of me. "Take me away!"

I carry him to the bathroom since I have no choice whatsoever. I set him gently on the floor by the toilet.

"Let me grab a towel," I mumble. He gets comfy and I hand him his tooth brush.

He grabs my hand. I search the cabinet- with one hand- for a towel. I kiss his nose and start the shower.

"I gotta shower baby," I start to undress myself but he doesn't let go. When he does to let me take off me shirt, he grabs my ankle with the other hand. When I take off my pants, his hand goes back to mine.

He holds my hand the whole time I shower.

I didn't bother to wash my hair.

He hands me the towel and let's me dress.

When I'm done, I help him get up and walk with me to the door.

We have to take the trolley because it's too far and Dan is far too sick to walk. There's only one seat left, which I let him take. Even though I'm the one standing, he's still leaning on me, taking a small nap on me until we get there.

I wake him up when we stop, helping him off of the bus and into the doctor's waiting room.

The doctor calls him in and checks up on him. He wouldn't go in without me though. So I went.

Waiting for results was stressful... what if it's cancer or something?

He must've been able to see my nervousness because he pats the seat beside him.

I take it. How could I refuse his puppy face?

The doctor comes back to see Dan leaning on me and holding my hand.

It feels awkward having someone know. I could tell he knew it was something. He points to a picture in his wall of him and some man.

"That's my husband," he whispers. I blush. Dan is barely awake. Defiantly not paying any attention.

"You must be very happy," I smile. He smiles bigger, nodding.

"Good news, it's not contagious. We couldn't find a thing. I asked doctor Casey about it, she thinks it must be something in his head. Something that's making him nervous or scared. Or maybe it's food poisoning. But I wouldn't be worried. Just keep doing what you're doing. You seem to be taking great care of him."

I bump Dan's leg for his attention. He shoots up, almost falling off of the seat.

"It's not contagious. Are you okay?" I brush hair out of his eyes as he snuggles back into my shoulder.

"Cold," he whispers. I kiss his head.

"I know but you need to stay awake so we can get home."

He ignores me, burying his face as deep as he can get it in my neck.

"Thank you, doctor Kingston. I was worried." I get up, making him fall and me laugh.

"No problem. Good luck, you two..."

"I have a quick question, is it obvious," Dan asks. The doctor shrugs.

"The love in both of your eyes is not friends. I took a couple body language classes."

I know it's obvious. Anyone can see it. Anyone but Dan.

"That's okay, baby! Can I have a small kiss?" I push him off of me to try to get him to wake up more but he doesn't. He puckers his lips.

"Loser," he whispers. I squeeze his hand, jumping up off of the seat and kissing him, gently.

"Doctor thinks we're cute," Dan mumbles. I pull him up with me.

"I know, baby!" I help him out of the doctors office.

When we get home, he's happy. Way happy. I like it a lot.

He sleeps on the couch, I get the bed.

All together, it was an okay day.

He's happy.