Status: I have a bit written but need to look it over

Diaries of the Man Upstairs

Secret Santa

PHIL

December 25th

Woke up, fully clothed.
Stood up, automatically regretting it.
Made a rush to the toilets, barely getting there in time.
Hangover.
Bad hangover

When I got done puking, i went for a glass of milk and some aspirin.
I came back for this beautiful book right here so I could find out what happened last night.
The fireplace seemed like a nice place to do that.
So when I went into the living room, there's a tree set up.
A real one.
Pine and everything.
Decorated.
Underneath, presents sat and wrapped perfectly in beautiful golden, sliver, and white paper.
I looked around, my keys are put right where I left them.
No one else was here but me.
Dan was here last night.
We did something.
I'm trying to remember it.
I remember him crawling on top of me... does that mean he had made the first move?
Does he like me...?
No... no you like the guy at Starbucks. That's why you keep going back.
Yeah he always messes up my order and it tastes terrible every single time but it's adorable. You like him a lot.
Dan's not here.
No one has any other key to this place.
Dans gone. I remember showing him out.

I think

Where did these gifts come from? Especially at this time.
Who came so early?
How did I not hear?
They're all marked to me.
Should I open them...?
They're quite beautiful.
I think I'll try one. Just one.

6:59/7:00am

DAN

After falling asleep at 6:30ish, and remembering it pretty well... considering how much I consumed earlier that night.

i wake up. Clock says 6:42 pm.

I get up, careful not to wake Phil.

He looks so naive. He couldn't kill a fruit fly if he were to get that peeved at one in the first place.

I remember Phil saying something about Santa not coming. I decided he needed a cheer up. And I can do that... maybe.

I get up, grab phil's keys and take a walk.

I'm pretty sobered up at this point. Not sure what happened.

As I go for a walk, I reach town. I wanted to head straight to the video game store but something caught my eye at the antique store.

They were closing up but I can't help darting to the door.

"STOP! I NEED THAT! ILL BE QUICK I PROMISE!" I reach the door, just in time.

"I just need the little thingy in the window please," I say as I gasp for breath. I'm not used to this work out.

I get it, get a few more little things, and some wrapping paper.

I take the stuff to my place, wrapping all the stuff I've gotten.

The only problem is Phil doesn't have a tree... I know what... I do.

I undo my tree, moving it as quietly as I can down to Phil's place.

I put it all back together. I hear Phil moving and I dash to take cover.

He walks in, very obviously sleepwalking. He walks to the kitchen.

I watch him.

He takes a drink of milk, puts it back, and hobbles back to bed.

I go unnoticed. Luckily.

When I am absolutely positive he's in bed, I put the gifts under the tree.

I put the keys exactly the way they were and slip back out. Phil's automatic lock door clicks behind me.

I've done it. I made a mans Christmas.

With pride, I stumble back to my place, feet heavy and tired. Running around had put a lot on me. I just turn on the tv till I fall asleep.

I think all in all, today was quite a success. I hope Phil can say the same.

PHIL

I put down the book, picking up the first one.

I shuffle it in my hands a bit  before going for it.

I rip open the gift wrap.

There's a box.

Unopened.

A keurig.

What the heck?!

I pick up the next one. It's marked 'best for last'

Confused, I set it back down.

The rest were little things like coffee cups and boxers.

But the one.

The best for last.

That one I left, untouched.

I don't trust it.

I fit it in my coat pocket, saving it for later.

As the morning goes, I start with my daily routine.

Jog, Coffee (in my new Brewer), cereal, shower, dress, straighten hair, brush teeth, go for a walk around town to see the weather, come home for a nice hour or so of tv before being bugged by just sitting there and not knowing what's in that box!

Luckily, there's a knock on the door.

I jump up to answer, but no one is there.

"Whoa! Sorry! I hit your door. I was moving furniture." Dan smiles at me, moving a couch with an older man who nods at me.

"Did you...," I ask. He looks at me confused.

"Did I what," Dan asks.

He didn't. He doesn't look like he could've.

"Never mind..."

"Are you sure? Hang on, dad can we wait for a second? Thanks." He jumps the stairs and runs over to me.

I pull him in my place.

"We need to talk," we both say at the same time. "You first."

"Okay, I will... do you need me to pay you back for all of that be-"

"NO," I yell. I cover my mouth. "No," I correct myself.

"Good cuz I am so broke! Sorry!" He sighs in relief.

"Did you see... anyone stop by last night," I ask. Dan shakes his head.

"Nothing. No one. Well... my mom came. That's all. Why?" He scratches his neck.

"Nothing... just thought I saw something. Sorry. Carry on." I stare at him for a minute, debating on wether I should ask him or not. I decide yes.

I go and grab my coat.

"Don't you think you're a little... dressed down for the subway,"Dan asks, watching me.

I roll my eyes, taking the box out of my coat pocket.

"There's a Christmas tree inside my home. There are mysterious gifts I have no idea where they come from. There's this that I am too scared and curious to open. Tell me you know where it comes from."

Dan shakes his head.

"Christmas spirit. I vote you open it. Don't you believe in a little Christmas magic?"

He smiles at me. His brown, messy hair and the silver/gold fairy lights bring out the golden sparkle in his chocolate eyes.

Last night, we made out. That's the last I remember. Did we make out and make love or was it all just me or did we really just make out... did he mean it? Do I mean it? Of course I do, he's standing in my flat with crazy shower hair and I still think he's perfect... are we ever going to talk about it?

Judging by his actions, the answer is no... to most of that...

I tug at the pretty Royal blue bow, pulling the ribbon off.

"People aren't just generally nice... are we sure it's okay," I ask, nervously.

Dan nods.

I gently pull off the paper, cautiously. I open the tiny box and push away the tissue paper to reveal an old, silver pocket watch.

It had the name Phillip engraved in it but it's a little scratched up.

I shuffle it in my hand, opening it up to find it the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

The numbers were Roman numerals, it had a second clock, minute, and hour clock and you could see the gear turning through a little section in it. The hands were very detailed, along with the beautiful, navy blue numbers.

I close it, playing around a little more.

The back was engraved with the most beautiful design. It was already set. Synchronized by the second exact.

It must've been a fortune for whoever this came from. It was so astonishing. I open it back, examining the scratches and marks on it.

That's when I realize it all.

"You... you... how," I ask, looking up at Dan.

Dan blushes, hard.

"I felt like you needed one last Santa visit..."

"This, itself must've been a fortune. Not to mention everything else... how did you afford all of this?"

"University fund... dropped out... I uh... I was hoping you'd ignore it and just accept the gifts."

I smile at him, biting my lip.

"you...-"

"You deserved it," he whispers, leaving me to myself to be with my pocket watch.

I place it, carefully on my keychain. It was beautiful. I've never had a happier Christmas.

Who needs mum and dad?
I have Dan... my new man upstairs... my man...?