Status: In Development

His Secret to Tell

Chapter 1

"Paige…"
"Don't." She took a step back.
"Paige, please, let me explain." I pushed.
"I just don't understand. How could you do this? Why did you lie to me?" She yelled, tears staining her red cheeks.
"I don't know. I just did. I don't know how to explain it."
"You lied to me about who you are, about who you really are! A normal person wouldn't do that!"
"I wished I knew how to explain it but I can't. I'm sorry. Paige, I'm so, so, so sorry!"
"I…I can't even look at you." She ripped the ring from her finger, throwing it at me. I tried to catch Paige's arm as she stormed past me but she shrugged away. The slam of the door echoed in my ear, Paige's tears imprinted in my brain. This is the worst thing I could have done to anyone, especially someone I loved so much. She didn't deserve this treatment. Paige was everything to me, is everything to me. I have to fix this. I just wish I knew how.
I knew once I met her she was something, I just didn't expect her not to know who I was. Paige had no idea I was the captain of the Chicago Blackhawks. She had no idea I was a professional athlete. And I never told her. I lied about who I was, what I did. I never thought I'd find someone who didn't know who I was. But I kept up the lie…for three years! I never thought that would happen! But at the same time I made sure she never would find out. I can't explain it. I didn't want her to know my career, my real life. But I have to find a way to explain it to her, to seek her forgiveness. Or I'll lose her forever.
I through my things on the floor, not caring anymore about tidiness. Breaking the love of your life's heart takes a lot out of you. And trying to come up with a way to win her back is twice as hard. We've been together for three years. Three years. Time has flown by so fast. To think it’s going to be four in August. And I just threw it all away, and for what? To watch her fly out my apartment with tears of hatred I've never seen. Sadness and upset tears, yes, but that hatred, that betrayal stream of tears was too much. We've had almost fours years of amazing memories and the only thing that I see when I close my eyes is the moment that happened mere minutes ago. I tried to think of something else, anything, but it all came back to her.
I went to my bedroom, stripping down and climbing into bed. I needed to sleep this day away. Or wake up from what I hope is a nightmare. I wish I could go back in time and fix everything. I wish I had just told her the truth. Ever since we first met…

If I didn't need this suit by the end of the week, I would have gone to my normal tailor, but apparently he couldn't quite make an acceptation for me. I can't be mad though, he's a good tailor for a reason. I had to ask around to find someone else to fix my suit for me. Most of the guys use the same tailor as me so they weren't very useful. Others didn't have one; something about my oversized backside being abnormal. Google was my last hope, there were a few places in the city that were okay but they're ratings said otherwise. The top ranked place was about 45 minutes outside the city but it had five stars ratings, great reviews about quality and timing. It was enough for me.
What's the Stitch, was where I was heading, way out of my way but I needed this suit fixed as soon as possible. I was surprised to find myself in a small town. My directions had my destination at a house; very homey. The sign out front pointed me to the back for parking, the only door there with the business name on it. Walking in, a bell rang signaling my arrival. No one immediately should up which allowed me to look around. Many pictures lined the wall of different people, mannequins modeled prom dresses and a costume, I think. They were very good.
"Hi, can I help you?" A female voice startled me from behind. When I turned to greet the woman, I paused, having not expected this type of person to show up. I expected an old woman who sewed clothes since the first American flag. She was certainly from this century. And beautiful.
"Um, yes, I was hoping to get my suit fixed. It's kind of big."
She smiled, "Of course. If you don't mind changing into the suit and I'll take a look at it." She pointed me to a changing room and told me where to go once I finished. I did so and walked over to the three-way mirror. The woman was getting together some things and smiled at me once she was ready, "You're right, this is huge on you. Why would you buy something that's not your size?" She teased.
"I tried on the next size down but it didn't fit right either. The sales guys told me to buy a size larger so it's easier to tailor."
"He's not wrong." She circled me, picking and pinning at me, "There are certainly a lot of changes that need to happen."
"Will I make it worse if I said I needed it by Friday?" I asked, nervous she might call me crazy. Her eyes said unrealistic, but she replied differently.
"That shouldn't be a problem. I'll need you to come back probably sometime Wednesday just to make sure I'm going in the right direction with the measurements. Depending on how that goes, you'll get it Thursday or Friday morning. Does that work?" She asked looking up at me. God, her eyes wee beautiful and….purple?
"Yeah, yeah that's perfect."
"Awesome. Now I'll just need you to hold still so I don't poke you. I'm going to pin the sleeves and the waist of the jacket, maybe a little on the shoulders. The pants need the most work," The strength I had to have at this very moment was beyond anything I had to do. A beautiful woman kneeling in front of me poking and pulling my pant legs, moving up the inseam. I had to look away, anywhere but at her. I can't think about her tight jeans or her off the shoulder sweatshirt showing a very colorful bra strap…"So you didn't have any other suits for your thing?" She asked.
"It's kind of a big event, thought I'd wear something new."
She laughed, "I totally understand."
"Are you making fun of me?" I asked, keeping my serious face on.
"Oh, no I'm sorry. I was just joking." She stammered.
I smirked, "I know. You're not the only one that can joke around."
"You had me so nervous. You have a very serious face."
"That's what I've been told."
"I'm Paige, by the way."
"Jon, nice to meet you." She stood up and held out her hand to shake. When I went to shake her hand, I was stabbed in the shoulder.
"I told you not to move." Paige giggled. Wasn't that a sweet sound. Paige moved to behind me, pinning in the right spots until everything correctly. "Alright, that's everything. You should be able to get out of that without hurting yourself too much." She allowed me to change back which I did without too much trouble. I handed her the suit and she gave me a slip of paper, "So it'll be around $100. Something like that is usually less but it's a lot to do in such a short time."
"Are you kidding me? That's nothing compared to what my usual guy does."
"Why did you come here if you've got a usual guy? If you don't mind me asking."
"He couldn't get it done in time. The internet said you were the best."
"Oh well that's good to know. I'll let me sister know she's done a good job." I know I gave her a confusing glance so she continued, "I'm clueless on the internet. My sister created my website which has helped. That's how most people hear about me."
"Well I'll certainly make sure people know you fixed my suit."
"I appreciate it." Her pale cheeks gave away her blush. She cleared her throat, "So, if you can just come back Wednesday anytime, we'll check out the suit. Then we'll go from there."
"Sounds like a plan. Thank you very much, Paige. Have a good one."
She waved me good bye and I as I walked out the door, I found myself looking forward to Wednesday.
♠ ♠ ♠
Work in progress. Let me know what you think. I'll certainly continue if enough enjoy it.