Status: Going back to my roots

Tomorrow Never Knows

Chapter 2

"You have to try a full Yorkshire tea, it's nearly as good as a Devonshire one", said George.

"All right, I just hope it won't be a bunch of old ladies", said Ringo as they entered the hotel restaurant.

The duo sat near a window that looked out onto the moors, just as the sun began to set. George ordered the full afternoon tea and glanced around, seeing mostly older women having their tea. A slow smile formed on his face when he saw a young woman seated nearby reading. Her wavy-jet black hair hung loose around her shoulders which contrasted with her milky pale skin, not unlike a fairy princess. She looked in their direction and her eyes were the darkest shade of brown, almond-shaped and intelligent. She has beautiful sloe eyes, he thought.

"Not a bad-looking bird, she don't look English", said Ringo.

George put on a smile and walked over to her table, sitting down opposite her. "Hello, mind if join you?", he asked.

The girl put down her book and looked at him with her dark eyes. "Y porque, senor?", she retorted.

"You're Spanish, huh?", he asked.

"Si, my father is Spanish and my mother is French Canadian. I am Dahlia Torres", she said.

"And I'm George, a beautiful name for a beautful lady", he said gallantly.

"And I was told Englishmen are cold, verdad? Papi no dice verdad", she laughed.

"What does that mean?", he asked.

"It means my dad was wrong, he did spend some time in England before going back to Madrid", she said.

"What brings you to Yorkshire, are you having a holiday too?", he asked.

"Sort of, my friends and I graduated from Uni and this is our little vacation", she replied.

"Nice to meet you, Miss Torres. I'm George and I'm from Liverpool and I'm in a band with my best mates", he said.

"It was Skye's idea, she's English and she loves Yorkshire even though she is a Geordie", she said.

Dahlia followed George to the table and pulled out a chair for her."Ritchie, this is Dahlia Torres. Dahlia, this is my mate Ritchie", he said.

"Glad to meet you, Miss Torres. George, this is our first day here and you already got yourself a nice Spanish bird", he teased.

George blushed. "Don't mind him, his mum dropped him on the head when he was a lad", he joked.

Dahlia laughed. "I am not a bird, but he means well. How do you like Yorkshire", she asked.

"We just got here, maybe tomorrow we can go hiking", said Ringo.

A young blond woman wearing a Newcastle United scarf came over to their table and embraced her. "I was looking for ya, hinny", she said in a Geordie accent.

"Lo siento. Skye, this is George and Ritchie. This is me amiga Inglesa Skye Armstrong", she said.

"Hello, miss. That is an unusual name", said Ringo.

"I know, me mum is Scottish from the Isle of Skye and me Da is a Geordie born and bred", she laughed.

Ringo held out a chair for her and his gaze lingered on her backside for a moment. Looks like George isn't the only one who might get with a bird, he mused. She was a tiny girl who barely came up to his shoulders, her long blond hair in a fat braid down to her waist and clear blue eyes. She wore jeans and a plain black t-shirt with the black and white Newcastle scarf around her neck, the Magpie swaying lightly.

"So, you girls are here after Uni"?, asked George as a waitress arrived with their tea.

"Si, we all graduated from Uni and I got my bachelor's in French and I minored in literature", said Dahlia.

"And I got mine in Spanish and minored in history", said Skye as the men looked impressed.

"Blimey, you are clever birds. All I know is English", joked Ringo.

"I grew up speaking French and Spanish, but Canadian French. It's sort of like the difference between British and American English", she explained.

"How did French people wind up in Canada?", asked Ringo.

"Quebec was settled by the French in the 1500's, then the British took over int he 1670's. They do speak English with an accent, but many of the older folks onlly know French. Vous comprends, mes amis?", she laughed.

"I love when birds speak French, it's a fine language", said George.

"Oui, mon ami Anglais. Et hommes Anglais sont bon", she teased.

"I hope that isn't anything bad", said George.

"It's not, believe me. I know French, but the real French from Frnace, not Canadian French. It's a mutant dialect", said Skye.

"Oh, that sounds like all the different ways we speak in England", said George as the girls nodded.

Meanwhile, Paul cursed under his breath as he pulled the knob on the cigarette vending machine. "Bloody fucking piece of shit", he muttered.

"And I thought us Ozzies had dirty mouths", chuckled a female voice with an Australian accent.

Paul finally got the cigarette box out of the machine and picked it up, turning around and a smile forming on his face. "It is bad manners not to reply, mate", she said.

"I was just distracted, I had no idea we had beautiful Australian fans here in Yorkshire", he said gallantly.

"And I didn't know English blokes could be so full of it. I am Veteema Butler", she said.

Paul winked and kissed her hand. "Glad to meet you, Miss Butler. That is an unusual name", he said.

"Thank you, it's Finnish, my mum is from Finland. And everyone knows who you are, Mr. McCartney", she teased.

"I didn't know we were that big in Australia, Miss Butler. And it's always a pleasure to meet fans, especially beautiful ones", he said.

"You are too full of yourself", she retorted.

"It's the Irish in me, Miss Butler", he laughed.

"You have too much swagger, Mr. McCartney", she huffed.

First day here in Yorkshire and I run across a beautiful bird, he mused. She was just an inch shorter than him with long straight coppery hair and unusual blue-green eyes, wearing jeans and a pale green blouse that accentuated her coloring.

"Can I make it up to you?", he asked cheekily.

Veteema smiled before slapping his face. "I'm not an easy girl, Mr. McCartney. You are going to need to try harder", she said before walking away.

"Looks like your bird is leading you on a chase", said John, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Paul took out a cigarette and offered him one. "Like you have any luck with Jessa, mate. Oh well, if it wasn't easy, it wouldn't be fun", he said.

"We got time", said John.