Status: Active! :)

The Fortune

New city, New me!

I'm new in New York City. I just arrived here from Louisiana and everything was just...It sucked okay. You imagine that living in NYC would be just like living in Sex in the City and you would have this huge apartment across the street from Central park and the big closet and shop all the time. But NO! Living here sucks balls. The rent is too freaking high! The tall buildings make your neck hurt and if you look too long they make you nauseous. The traffic... Don't even get me started and I swear the rats here are the size of nutria rats back home. And the people are the rudest bunch of people I've ever met.
I hate going out but my doctor says I need to be around the people of NYC to get adjusted to the lifestyle so I decide to call up my friend ( my only friend) Amy.

“ Hey Girl!” She answers cheerfully.

“H-Hey Amy, listen I'm starving and I really don't wanna go out by myself. Would'ya mind comin' to eat with me somewhere?”

“Sure what are you feelin''?”

“How bout some Chinese food. The pizza smell from the shop below me is making me sick!”

“Sounds good to me. Be there in five, I know this one spot that is hands down the best in the city.”

“Alight I'll see ya then.”

I get ready and slip on as many layers as I can. When Amy arrives, she looked at me crazy.

“Um... You do know that it's 50 degrees outside right?”

“Yeah and to you that might be fine but to me it feels like its 10 degrees. I'm freezing! “

“Your such a southerner. Alright let's go I'm starving.”

We quickly catch a train to Chinatown and walk 5 blocks until we get to this hole in the wall place called Prosperity Dumpling on the lower east side.

“This place looks kinda grimey Amy. Are ya sure about this one?”

“Yes Bonnie! It's gonna be the best ya ever had. I promise you.”

“Alright. If I get food poisoning I'm blamin' you.” I say as I cautiously make my way into the sketchy establishment.

Looking at the menu, you would wonder how a restaurant could survive on only serving four basic things: dumplings, soups, noodles, sesame pancakes. That's the same thing I wondered until I tried the fried pork and chive dumplings.

“Oh my goodness, Amy these were so damn good.” I brag.

“See I told ya! Now open your fortune cookie and when you've read it say “in bed” right after. I'll go first.” She says chuckling.

She opened hers and immediately started laughing.

“What does it say?”

“Hi there. You've just ate a cat!!” She says, and laughs uncontrollably.

“ Ok, okay calm down. Let me open mine.”

I rip open the package and crack the cookie in half to pull mine out.

Your life is in danger Bonnie. Say nothing to anyone. Trust no one, not even Amy. Meet me in room 402, at The Carlyle on E. 76th St. tomorrow at 7 P.M. Repeat: say nothing.

I must have looked like a ghost at that moment because every ounce of blood left my face. I looked up and around the restaurant, looking for a pair of eyes staring back at me, but saw none.

“Are you okay Bon? What does it say?” Asked Amy, trying to reach for it.

I jerk back from her violently.

“Hey kid, calm down I'm just trying to read you fortune here not take your beignet. What's up with you?”

I shake my head to clear my thoughts and try to shake away the words of the fortune ringing in my head. A Sick feeling in the pit of my stomach feels it may be right.

“Yeah sorry, I'm fine. Just thinking of home. My brother and I used too do this together.” I lied.

“Aww honnie, It's okay. I know how hard it is with no family or friends around ya. Don't worry how bout we cheer you up with some Pinkberry.”

After I arrive home and finally get Amy out of my apartment, I rip my jacket off and grab the fortune out of my hidden mini pocket.

I read the words over:

Your life is in danger Bonnie. Say nothing to anyone. Trust no one, not even Amy. Meet me in room 402, at The Carlyle on E. 76th St. tomorrow at 7 P.M. Repeat: say nothing.

How do I know that this is not some silly joke? What if this person is just a serial killer out trying to lure people in with creepy fortune cookies?

I groan in frustration and stare at a yellow stain on my ceiling obviously obtained from water damage.

How would this person even know my name? How would they know Amy's? And why should I be scared of Amy in the first place? She might be eccentric and loud and a little bossy but she wouldn't harm a fly. Besides she was the first person I talked to at work on my first day. It's going to take a lot more than a creepy coincidental fortune cookie to change my mind about her.

Still the more I think about it the more my curiosity gets the best of me.

I decide that it's all a bunch of hogwash when my phone buzzes. I run to my purse and pull it out.

Blocked I.D.

You should stay in tonight. Don't forget Carlyle, 7 P.M.

What the hell??! How did this person get my number! I Stare at the message and make it up in my mind that I'm gonna go give this person a piece of my mind and end this creepy mysterious person charade thing.

I get ready for bed. Before I hop in, I check every lock and window. I even put a Chair against the door for added protection.

I hurry after work toward the subway, dodging Amy the best I can. I catch a train to Manhattan and after getting horrible advice from a lady that barely speaks english and going down one creepy hobo infested ally, I find The Carlyle.

I must say whoever this guy or gal is he/she must be one rich fellow or lady because this place is ritzy.
I mean I can see myself in the marble floor as I make my way to the front desk.

“Name please?” ask the clerk, whose hair looks perfect and face look like she has had way to much plastic surgery.

“Um....Bonnie Plassiance.” I answer. I become more aware of my accent as she stares at me for too long. Probably trying to figure what a country hick like me would be doing in a place like this.

Well you and me both lady.

She looks at the screen and quickly looks back at me.
“ Sorry ma'am. I don't see any room registered to that name. Perhaps your husband registered it under his name?” She says curtly.

What the 'f' does that mean? I push back my anger and try to think on my toes when my phone buzzes.

Blocked I.D.

Use the name Ruby clause. See you soon.

“Ruby clause.” I tell the clerk.

“Aha! I've found it. Wooow aren't you a lucky girl. Your husband has booked the empire suite. That's the best and most expensive room in the entire hotel.” She says with glee and a little envy in her voice.

I roll my eyes and ask “how much does it go for a night?”

“15,000! it is simplest the best!” she says.

Honestly I think if she could have did a cartwheel to show how excited she was she would do like 1,500.

She takes me to a private elevator and tells me to enjoy my stay before the elevator closes in her face.

I take a big sigh of relief that she is gone. I wanted to punch her in the face so hard.
My thought began to drift to who this person could be and why they would want to keep me safe so badly. As crazy theories form in my head the elevator dings and it opens.

Standing in front of me is a man wearing garb so ridiculous he looks like he is an extra from Coming to America.

He approaches me as I stand in front of the elevator and bows.

“ Hello madam. My name is Talaime. I believe you and I have some matters to discuss. “ Hes says in an African accent.

“Yes I would believe you are correct. For one thing, are you tormenting me with these texts and that creepy fortune cookie? And what do you want?” I asked harshly.

“Yes, sorry for the mystery madam. If you will have a seat, I will explain everything.”

We have a seat next to the massive stone fireplace. The heat begins to shake up the uneasiness I'm feeling about this situation. He begins to explain.

“Bonnie, you are part of a great dynasty of people from Melanesia. These people are strong and proud. Sadly, when slavery started our people experienced a diaspora and we lost our ruler......your 5th great grandfather.”

My breath catches in my throat and I try to process what he's saying. I begin to panic.

“What do you mean? My parents are in Louisiana. They aren't from Africa. This isn't possible. I'm afraid you've got the wrong person sir.”

I stand to leave, when he says something that stops me in my tracks.

“You were adopted by the Plasiance's. They are nice people but they are not your parents. They are just guardians of you. We needed to protect the royal line because you are the last heir. There are those that do not wish for us to rise up and claim what is ours. These individuals are out to kill you. You are our Queen. You alone will bring our people back to glory. That's if you choose to come with us back to our homeland.”

His words make me queasy and I become disoriented and then everything fades to black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone! Iv'e missed ya'll!
Let ne know what you think about this please!
Comment.Rate.Share.Subscribe.
XOXO
g234