Status: C O M P L E T E D | 9-28-16

Give Into Me.

come on, come on.

"Are you serious? We are not watching this again!" Tyler groaned from the corner of his living room holding an armful of prickly dark green Christmas tree branches in the crook of his elbow. I grinned from my seat on the couch my foot propped up on a stack of pillows nodding my head like an excited child, "Oh yeah, we are."

Tyler rolled his eyes as the opening scene from A Christmas Story began to play on the large TV at the front of his living room, "This movie is not that good, Adi. We've probably watched it five times already."

"Twice, we've watched it twice Seguin! Now pay attention, that branch is in the wrong spot." He groaned one again as I averted my attention back to the screen as my all time favorite Christmas movie began to play.

This has been our routine for the last week or so if Tyler didn't have a game he would show up and either join me on my couch or force me outside into his car of choice dragging me to his place. He said I needed a change of scenery considering I couldn’t really do much with my foot in the clunky white boot I agreed with him.

"I don't understand why they wouldn’t give the kid a BB gun, it's not even that big of a deal." Tyler commented his back to me while I rubbed Cash's ears as the black dog laid in my lap.

"It's a movie Tyler, you're thinking too hard."

"No, I'm thinking too hard about this damn tree. Does it look right?" He stepped back rubbing his beard, admiring the almost fully built 6 foot faux evergreen. I had agreed to decorate his Christmas tree as long as he built the monstrosity which was apparently not something he had done before.

"It's color coded Tyler, this is not rocket science." If looks could kill I would be dead, "Okay, sorry it looks great."

"That's what I thought."

"Your daddy is moody tonight," I whispered to the dog in my lap who just perked his head up as if he already knew what I was pointing out.

"Are you really talking to the dog?"

"Yeah, he's a lot nicer than you tonight."

"Yeah, okay. The dog carried you out to the car, watched you eat In N Out and let you pick the movie." The sass is real with this one, maybe we are made for each other.

"Cash you're such a wonderful dog, and I didn’t ask you to carry me! You said I walked too slow." I kissed the top of the black labs head as Tyler sauntered over dramatically flopping onto the couch.

"Whatever, the tree's done."

"You're not so bad either, Ty." I leaned over kissing his temple pushing the dog off my lap to get to my feet. Hobbling over I scoped out the tree and got to work fluffing what I could of the 6 foot tree before getting into the lights and ornaments. As I worked I listened to Tyler and his two dogs playing behind me the sound of barks replacing the voices on the TV except for the occasional "You'll shoot your eye out" being quoted by both of us humans.

"This is definitely a girl thing, I don't even know where to start with all that crap." Tyler sat on the floor leaning back on his forearms near the box of ornaments he had set out for me to use.

"Decorating is not a girl thing, it just takes practice. Can you help me with this? I can't reach the top two tiers." Pushing himself up he snatched the bulb from my hand hanging it off one of the many branches.

"Sure thing, just tell me where." Switching him places I sat down near the box handing him red and gold bulbs each time instructing him where to hang them, when the box was empty Tyler stepped back as I pushed the button turning on the twinkling lights.

"Viola! You're all set, Ty." He turned back to me a big smile on his lips his eyes bright with the yellowish glow from the tree.

"Thank you, it looks great." I shrugged my shoulders as he extended his hands out to pull me off the carpeted floor, when I was upright he wrapped his arms around me both of us staring at the tree in front of us.

"It does look pretty good, not to toot my own horn."

"I think you've missed your calling, babe." There it was again, the word would slide in everyone in a while in place of my name. Neither of us ever acknowledged it but boy did it make my stomach flutter.

"I think professional tree decorating is a limited career," I joked and I felt the weak laugh Tyler let out hit my back as it was pressed against his chest.

"Well, it’s a good thing you're pretty good at your job already then eh?"

"Yeah, I guess so. Do you have anything with sugar in this house?" I asked skeptical of Tyler's diet as I leaned my head back on his shoulder.

He shook his head trying not to laugh as he looked down at me, "I think there's ice cream in the freezer from when I had my wisdom teeth out."

"And when was that?" I questioned.

"About a year ago."

"Gross! Is that all you have?"

"You do remember I'm an athlete right? Or did you hit your head as well." I rolled my eyes and separated myself from his hold heading back for the couch.

"Shut up, not all of us have to maintain 3% body fat you weirdo."

"Tell me you don’t enjoy the 3% body fat?" Smirking he hiked up his t-shirt showing off his abs that obviously I enjoyed but not at the sacrifice of ice cream.

"I like ice cream more, besides I have my own abs I don't need yours."

I caught a faint "Mine are better" as Tyler walked by me towards the kitchen ripping open his freezer door. I heard his rummaging around as I sat back down on the couch scrolling through Instagram as the two dogs curling up around me. While Ralphie and his family began to enjoy their Chinese Christmas dinner I stumbled upon a recent post of @tseguin92 {we're finally getting in the Christmas spirit around here, thankful she knows what she's doing} It was a black and white picture just the side of my face sticking out from behind the tree as I weaved the garland through the branches, it was artsy I had to give him that. I double tapped it and quickly scrolled past the comments section while laughing at the singing men on the TV, I was caught up in the comedy when a cold weight landed on my stomach followed quickly by a spoon.

I leaned my head back to see Tyler standing behind the foot of the couch, "It's froyo, but it's good until March."

"Oooh it's even chocolate!" I ripped the lid off plunging the spoon into the less sweet and healthier option as Tyler wedged himself behind my legs.

"We're watching Elf next." Tyler's voice draws my attention away from the container of frozen goodness.

"And you complained because I wanted to watch A Christmas Story? We should watch something new." For effect I point the spoon in his direction.

"I thought the rule was Christmas movies only?"

"There are hundreds of Christmas movies, Tyler. How about The Santa Claus?!"

"Are you 5?" He countered earning himself a kick in stomach from my good foot.

"No, it's a great movie. If I was 5 we'd be watching Polar Express, what about Christmas with the Kranks?"

"Do you have a Tim Allen fantasy or something?"

"You are disgusting, and for that you can go put this back in the freezer." Taking the cup and spoon from hands I watched him trot back towards the kitchen returning a minute later with a bottle of water.

"Okay, how about Christmas Vacation? You can't go wrong with a classic." He suggests pulling the lid off of the plastic bottle.

"Deal, but while you're up can you get me a blanket?" So maybe I was milking this whole having Tyler at my beck and call thing, but can you blame me? With no sound he walked straight through the living room towards the closet in the hallway returning with a large blanket big enough for the both of us.

Once the TV had been switched from one movie to the other and the lights had been shut off other than the low flicker of the tree Tyler dropped back down on the couch. I settled in as the little spoon laying my head on his arm as it rested on a couple throw pillows my bad foot hanging off the couch onto an ottoman stacked with more pillows. It was barely 9 o'clock but I didn’t know if I would make it through this movie as cozy as I was being wrapped up with Tyler who put off enough heat to be categorized as a space heater himself.

"Is this what your family is like on Christmas?" Tyler asked his cheek laying on my shoulder muffling his voice.

"Pretty close, we're like the Griswold's 2.0. Having 9 of us in one house is a little crazy at times."

"And I thought just having my mom and sister's was bad!"

"It's more fun than it sounds, we don't get to spend much time together so I'll take what I can get. It was better when we were kids though."

"Christmas is always better when you're a kid."

"That's for sure, presents aren't as fun now. Not that that's what's important about Christmas but, y'know they don't hurt." The older I get the more the holiday season begins to mean more to me, it's less about receiving and more about family. But the occasional gift is still pretty nice!

"Speaking of presents, what did you ask Santa for?" Tyler asks turning my body towards him.

"Two working feet."

"No, seriously what do you want for Christmas?" Staring into his eyes with the Griswold shenanigans in the background all I can think is "All I want for Christmas is you" but how cheesy would that be?

"I'm not telling you, you're not Santa." I attempt rolling back over but I'm locked in arms that lift more than 3 times my body weight on the regular.

"You don't know that, spill it red."

"Red? Really how original." I roll my eyes at the nickname I had been hearing since the day I dyed my hair this shade of auburn.

"Babe, seriously tell me something." Dear God, he has got to know that every time that word falls out of his mouth it's hard for me to even breathe let alone fathom thoughts.

"I don't want anything, really. Please don't buy me anything Tyler, seriously."

"A surprise it is I guess." I groan as his grip loosens and I'm free to turn back over, "You're ridiculous."

After fighting over Christmas presents we settle into a comfortable silence the only sounds exiting our mouths are laughs and the occasional yawn. By the time the credits roll on our second film of the night my eyelids feel as if they weigh a thousand pounds and my arm is asleep from dangling off the edge of the couch. "Are you taking me home or am I staying here?" I ask trying not to yawn as I speak, slowly pulling myself upright into a sitting position.

"Do you want to go home? " No, not really but I probably should.

"I will if you want me to, you do have a game tomorrow you should probably be well rested."

"What's on your schedule tomorrow?"

"Mom is taking me to a doctor's appointment, I should be cleared to drive." Hallelujah, praise the Lord! Not being able to drive was like being 14 again and begging my parents to drive me around. Only now I had no where to go unless it was medically related all of my work was being done from the comfort of my couch.

"How about I just drop you off at your parent's in the morning?" Tyler has a sheepish smile on his face knowing he can get me to stay over with little effort considering I like his bed more than I like him.

"Fine by me, can I have a shirt though? I might die if I sleep in this hoodie." The funnel neck of the Texas Longhorns hoodie I had on was cute but felt like it could turn into a death trap if I tried to sleep in it.

"What's with girls and not wearing shirts under hoodies?"

"Layers make you look fatter, nobody wants that."

"Logical, come on let's go to bed." Tyler suggests standing up from the couch but I stay seated waiting on him to catch my drift, he doesn’t and begins walking towards the staircase.

I faked a cough drawing his attention back towards me, "I think you're forgetting something."

"Oh my God, seriously?" He shakes his head as I nod mine with grin on my face, but alas he comes back towards me sliding one arm under my knees and one under my back carrying me as if I weighed no more than a feather all the way upstairs to his room.

The dogs followed after us and hopped onto the bed as my body landed on the right side of the mattress, "Thank you, sir."

"Anytime, princess." I could sense the sarcasm in his voice as he set off for his closet returning with a Bio Steel shirt for me while apparently losing the shirt off his person along the way. I pulled the grey sweater over my head the static cling popping in my ears as it pulled through my messy hair, my body chilled instantly as I exchanged the warm sweatshirt for the cool black tee. The excess fabric settled around my hips and the wide neck pulled to the side revealing the strap of the burnt orange "Longhorns Cheer" sports bra I had worn underneath, looking up I saw two brown eyes staring at me as Tyler leaned back on his forearms on his dresser. He had clearly watched that entire exchange intensely.

"Enjoy the show?" I mocked pulling a hair tie from wrist tying my waves up on top of my head in a half-assed knot.

"Maybe." He sasses sauntering over to flip out the lights before falling into his side of the bed, as he got situated I laid still waiting for his two ink covered arms to pull me over to him. It was a system and I was a big fan of it these days. Just like clockwork Tyler pulled me over to him and I moved in careful not to kick him with the clunky boot on my left foot, I settled my head on his chest and felt him breathe out deeply. "Just so you know, you're wearing my number right now."

"Of course I am," I hadn't looked at the back of the shirt but running my arm over the back I felt the mass of ink and knew it had to read 'Seguin 91', I was getting closer to willingly wearing those two digits but I still wasn’t quite there. As I closed my eyes I thought of the Victory Green jersey hanging in the back of my closet, the NHL tags still on it Tyler knew bringing up marking his territory made my mind wander like crazy. Mind games, we were experts at them by now, "Goodnight, 91."

As Tyler pulled into the driveway of my childhood home the following morning I could see the garage door rising signaling my dad was just about to head into work for the day. As the white overhead door came all the way up it revealed the black Ford Raptor my dad quite possibly loved more than both his kids and my mom's white BMW, I could see my father standing behind the driver's side door as I opened the door to Tyler's Mercedes. Slowly I hopped down from the SUV retrieving my purse from the floorboards as Tyler turned off the engine, "What are you doing? Are you coming in?"

"I'm at least saying hi to your dad, I don't want to be rude. Don't sound so enthused Ads."

"Sorry, come on." I shut the door and walked around the black car meeting Tyler at the front as we approached the garage.

"Good morning, Tyler, Adi Ruth."

"Morning daddy, heading to work?" I asked hiking my purse further up my shoulder and the man nodded looking towards Tyler.

"Game day isn't it?" My father asked Tyler before taking a sip of his coffee.

"Yes sir, big game against LA." It was a big game indeed and I had already sworn to watch it on the way over.

"Well, good luck I'm sure ya'll will be just fine."

"Thank you, if you and Shayla ever want to come to a game just let me know. I'd be glad to get you guys some tickets, I actually have a few for tonight since Adleigh's out of commission if you're interested." Was he really bribing my parents? They already love him, he didn’t need to rope them in with glass seats.

"You guys should go dad, mom would love it! Like date night!" Benjamin didn’t see the humor in my suggestion, giving me a sass-filled side eye; we both know damn well Shayla is anything but a sports fan. Tyler just nodded along not understanding our laughter.

"You ask your mother if she wants to go on a date to a hockey game and get back to me, I've got some work to do." He wrapped his arms around me and planted a kiss on my forehead before shaking Tyler's hand and climbing up into the large truck.

"I see you Seguin, trying to bribe my parents." I laughed walking through the garage to the back door pushing my way in immediately greeted by our dogs Mo and Jude.

"I'm not bribing, just trying to fill up the arena. Whoa, I forgot you have dogs." His hand reached out to pet Mo who sniffed at his pants while Jude pawed at the boot on my foot.

"White one is Jude, grey one is Mo. Mom? Mama where are you?" I pointed out the dogs before yelling down the long hallway towards the kitchen.

"Kitchen, wait Adi? How in the hell did you get here?" My mother's head of black hair peaks out from the opening of the kitchen a skeptical look on her face as she sees Tyler standing behind me. "Ahhh, good morning Tyler."

"Morning, Shayla. Nice to see you again."

"You too sweetheart, I see you're playing taxi this morning." Sounds like it's pick on Adleigh day as I slide around her to pour myself a cup of coffee from the machine on the kitchen island.

"He's also trying to play marketer, how do you feel about date night at the Stars game?" I ask from behind the white Reichman Motors coffee mug.

"Kind of hard for ya'll to go on a date if he's playing and you're in the stands, am I right?" My jaw is slacked open and Tyler's laughing to recover from the awkwardness.

"Not us mom, you and dad. I cant go to games yet and Tyler already has my usual tickets, we think ya'll should go."

The look on my mothers face is priceless as two twenty something's are trying to arrange date night for her, "What do you even wear to a hockey game?"

"Yeah, you two are definitely related." Tyler smiles and I shrug can't argue with him on that one, "I will leave the tickets at will call for you guys, I have to head in for practice."

"Thank you, Tyler. Good luck tonight, I guess we'll be there cheering for you since Adleigh can't." My mom waves at him and the cutest smile crawls on his lips the one reserved for sweet and innocent Tyler not the usual sexy hockey god.

"Well I appreciate it, you'll have a good time I can promise that. Let me know what the doc says Ads, or I'll call you after the game." I agree slipping my arms around his waist to hug him in my parents kitchen as if it's happened a hundred times. I can feel my mom's eyes on us as Tyler kisses my cheek and exits back down the hallway the two dogs following him to the door. When he's gone I turn back to my mom who's got a smirk of her own on her lips eyeing me over her coffee mug.

"So, Adi honey do you wanna talk about that now? Or later."

"Later, much later, I'm going to go shower." I press my own lips to her cheek and attempt to wobble off to my room, but Shayla is faster snatching my arm with a motherly glare in her eyes.

"Still not dating? Or are you just really good at hiding it?"

"Not dating, I promise Mama. If that ever changes I'll let you know."

"Kids these days, I swear no one dates." She huffed letting go of my forearm, I was unsure what she meant but I shrugged it off walking as fast as my boot would allow towards my room still decorated like it inhabited a 16 year old glitter and bow obsessed cheerleader.

Hours later I'm cleared to drive and go back to work with limitations to stay upstairs on game day's and my mom has a hockey arena acceptable outfit laid out on her bed, all is right in the world accept for my parents are going to watch Tyler's game and I'm not. As time to puck drop dwindled I accepted my fate and curled up on my couch with Hannah and Maddie one of my friends from work who somehow had taken interest in hockey. I had a idea that it had to do with a certain #4 but it wasn't my place to pry even if people always did it to my own "relationship".

After Maddie left and Hannah had given up on the game sometime during the third period I nodded off on the couch clutching my cell phone tightly, when it began vibrating just after 10:30 I knew Tyler was out of the locker room. I answered with a deeper than normal "hello" as I swiped the ever disgusting bit of drool from the sides of my mouth.

"You fell asleep didn’t you?"

"In my defense I made it through the whole game, but post game? Yeah I was out." Tyler's laugh filled the line before his voice switched from his phone to being shouted through the speakers of his car.

"Well, have you heard from your parents? I saw them during warmups I tried to throw your mom a puck but I think some kid got it instead" Aww, he was concerned if they had fun! Which of course they did.

"Yes, mom isn't really a fan of the whole getting slammed into the glass thing but she's kind of a no contact sport kind of person. But I think she would go back if we asked. Dad's a closet hockey fan, so he was already going to have a good time." Turning the TV off I wrapped the blanket around my shoulders and made my way towards my own bedroom.

"Good, so you're off house arrest now does that mean you'll be coming back to the AAC? I kind of need my lucky charm."

"We'll see, if I can even handle work first. Besides you're doing pretty good without me, Mr. Third Star." I yawned as my head hit the pillow and the iPhone beeped as it was met with the power cord.

"Thank you, either way I like knowing you're watching even if you're at home." I should just get used to the constant flutter of the butterflies in my stomach if Tyler Seguin is going to be a frequent flier in my life.

"Well, at least you can say you've made me into a hockey fan."

"I'd rather say I made you into something else, y'know."

"If that something else starts with a G, I haven't enough energy to talk about it right now."

"You can't avoid the subject forever, Adleigh." Did he forget what I told him on our first "date"? I run from my problems, and although I cannot physically run at the moment I can still push all my problems into a box labeled "deal with it later".

"Not forever, just not tonight. Or when I'm on pain meds."

"You're difficult." Oh honey, difficult should be my middle name.

"I know, but you seem to like it."

"On that note, goodnight Adleigh Ruth I'll talk to you tomorrow." I closed my eyes and exhaled into the receiver, "Goodnight, Tyler. By the way, sleeping without my favorite pillow sucks." I could hear him let out a dry laugh slash cough and I could only imagine the smile on his face as the line went dead. Two could play the late night clouded thoughts game, and so far he is always winning. It's about time I struck back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Because I can't let go of this story I just keep adding filler chapters and dragging out the impending finale (oops). Not sure how I feel about this but I felt like they needed to just "talk" and well they did, A LOT. Sorry this is later than usual I went to a concert this weekend so I just didn't have time! Look for Christmas in February by Friday :) xoxo -Al