Status: C O M P L E T E D | 9-28-16

Give Into Me.

Early May 2016

"HAANNNNAAAHHH, honey I'm home." I sing-songed closing the door to our apartment behind me, as it clicked shut I inhaled the spicy sent that filled the air.

"In the kitchen!" The tiny blonde replied with a chuckle as I slipped my shoes off flexing my toes who were thrilled to be freed from the confines of the heels I had been running around in all day. Turning the corner into the kitchen Hannah came into view her back towards me, blonde hair piled on top of her head in a bun still wearing her Longhorn orange scrubs.

"What's cookin' good lookin'?"

"Taco Tuesday my dear, and Margs." She pointed the wooden spoon in her hand towards the blender on the counter full of a red liquid with a bottle of tequila beside it.

I nodded to myself, I guess I wasn't the only one who had a long day, "Well, I'm going to go change Senorita, by the way it smells delicioso."

"Good to see those 4 years of Spanish really paid off, Ads." Hannah sassed at my terrible Spanglish attempt, but even I knew I had lost the little bit of the language I had learned back in high school. Once in my room I stripped myself of the black pencil skirt and blue plaid shirt, trading them in for one of Tyler's t-shirts and a pair of Nike Pros, grabbing the fleece blanket from the foot of my bed I wrapped it around my shoulders and headed back for some food.

With plate of tacos in our laps and mason jars full of strawberry margaritas Hannah and I collapsed onto our couch both of us sighing in delight to unwind the day together. Before diving in Hannah held up her jar, "To girls night, may we always have them even when we're all wifed up."

I smiled and clinked our glasses together, "I'll drink to that, although you'll be wifed up long before me."

Hannah swallowed before cheekily grinning, as though she had a secret, "You may be right about that."

"Hannah Jean, do you have something to tell me? Or rather show me!? Left hand check!" Her left hand shot up and to my dismay her ring finger was still bare.

"Luke hasn't asked yet, but I do know that he has his granny's ring now. She gave it to him at his graduation party last week, so uhh I guess I'm just waiting!" Swallowing a large gulp of margarita I nodded as my mind raced.

Ring, engagement, fiancé, marriage, HOLY COW.

"Uh, wow. WOW?! Hannah that's huge, you're getting married!!!"

"No, I'm not even engaged yet! I'm just saying that it's not off the radar anymore, we always said after Luke was done with physical therapy school and well he's done?" She was right, that was always the plan with them. Their so-called "6 year plan" had come down to the last few steps; Luke's graduation, engagement, buying a house, getting married, and eventually having kids.

"So it's time, huh? Wow, this is crazy!"

"I know, I mean I always thought it would be you first y'know?" I stared down at the scattered Mexican cuisine on my plate, I had once thought I'd be the first one to get married too. I also thought I would be chasing the MLB dream not watching hockey games every other night, but things change.

"Yeah, but oh well. It's your turn Han, and you know I'll throw you one hell of a bachelorette party." I winked at her taking another large gulp of the tequila laced cocktail.

"Good, and I'd like to go to Nashville I think you made it sound like fun."

Gathering our empty plates I took mental note of her request, "I think I can make that happen, Mrs. McDaniel."

"Hmm, Hannah McDaniel, it does have a nice ring to it huh?" Hannah asked from the couch as I stood at the kitchen island draining the rest of the blender into my mouth. Wedding talk made me really thirsty apparently, or just really freaked out.

"Let's get you that ring first, Han." I poked flopping back down beside her as another episode of our newest addiction Madam Secretary streamed on the TV.

Sounds of the scandalous television drama filled the apartment as I scrolled through my social media accounts, a few mentions on Twitter prying for updates on Tyler's leg that I wasn’t at liberty to speak on and a hateful teen here or there. As my thumb ran up and down the iPhone I felt Hannah's gaze upon me, "Can I help you?"

"Y'know it's been weeks since we've done this.. Why exactly are you home?" Ouch, Han.

"Well, I do live here y'know?" I clicked my screen off and turn to face the blonde.

"That's not what I meant, you're not babysitting Tyler tonight?"

"Nope, he's on his own. He can put pressure on his leg now and I really needed a night that didn’t involve sulking or the NHL."

"Ahh, there it is." Hannah pointed crossing her legs Indian style to completely face me.

"There's what?"

"The crack, you've finally cracked. I wondered how long it would take, you were so "I'm here for you" and committed to taking care of him 24/7, but I knew all the hockey and his pity party for one would get to you eventually."

"It’s not even the hockey, it's the lack of hockey! I need him to get back on the ice Hannah I cannot do this whole couch game analyst thing anymore he's driving me nuts!!" And there it was, she was right I had cracked and to vent felt amazing. It had been 3.5 months since the accident and Tyler had played one game, and that was a mistake in itself. Every time he watched his team play without him I think a small piece of him died, he was a wreck emotionally and physically. He wanted nothing more to help his team win but his team also needed him at 100 percent to do so, give and take I guess. Watching the Stars barely skate by into the second round of the playoffs killed Tyler, and it drove me WILD.

"Let it out, babe." Hannah chuckled and I shook my head, I was pathetic but this manic episode was much needed.

By 10:30 the two of us were tequila tipsy and laughing our heads off a hundred pins deep planning Hannah's imaginary bachelorette party and ignoring the entire world of hockey. Hannah let out a long yawn and looked at the red numbers on the DVD player across the room, "We should get to bed, leave the rest of this for when I'm actually engaged?"

"Deal," I closed the MacBook in my lap and stood up adjusting the blanket so that I could walk to my room without tripping, "Goodnight, Han."

Hannah clicked the TV off and wrapped her arms around me in the darkness of our living room, "Goodnight, Ads. By the way, I hope you're ready to be my maid of honor."

"Of course, I'd love nothing more than to hold your big white dress while you pee." Letting go of my best friend I smiled as I walked in the darkness towards my room, growing up was weird but I knew that even though she was getting married Hannah was always going to be my other half.

A few days later I sat at my desk squinting my eyes at the thousand requests I had to sift through, deciding who was "worthy" enough of a visit from the Cowboy's newest members. The weeks after the NFL draft were always like this, everyone hoping and praying that the young kids would help bring the Boys in Blue back to the top and everyone wanted a piece of the action. Schools, TV stations, restaurants, hell even other Dallas sports teams wanted the fresh meat to come for a visit and it fell into my lap to choose who got blessed by the player's almighty presence. As I weeded through the weak requests the iMac in front of me chimed with the sound reserved for FaceTime calls, those almost never happen unless it's a conference call from my boss. The number was not saved in the computer's contact list but I accepted the call none the less, the screen went black before Tyler's face appeared large, front and center.

"Tyler! What the hell, why are you calling my office? How'd you even get this number??" I scolded staring in disbelief at my boyfriend through the computer.

"I've got connections, y'know. Plus, I was worried you haven't answered a single text today, nor have I seen you in like three days." Texts? I hadn't even heard my phone ding once all morning. Reaching under my desk I grabbed the bright blue bag I had received on Christmas and began digging around for my iPhone, it was no where to be found.

"I think I left my phone at home." I admitted tossing the leather item back on the floor.

"Figured as much, are you okay? You seem, I don't know off?" Off? OFF? What the hell does that even mean.

Gathering my hair up into a bun on top of my head I ignored eye contact with Tyler, "No, I'm fine."

"That's bullshit and you know it, what's wrong."

"Tyler, I'm at work I don’t have time for this." I huffed not even sure when I became so angry.

"Okay, can I at least see you tonight? Please, babe." Those damn brown eyes shot straight through me, it was like the puppy dog look little kids give their parents.

"I suppose I could do dinner," I cracked a smile, "I do kind of miss the dogs."

"There's my girl, just come over when you get off I'll make something." "Make something" Tyler's code for I'll order in.

"Okay, I'll see you tonight then." I moved the mouse towards the disconnect button.

But Tyler's voice rang through again before I could end the call, "Okay. Hey, I love you."

"I love you, too." And I did, but for some reason I just wanted to strangle him but I guess that’s how love works, it's not all sunshine and daisies everyday.

Before heading to Tyler's I went to the gym, was I avoiding him? No, well maybe I was avoiding the typical 5 o'clock NHL LIVE show but not Tyler himself. But I also really needed to workout, Tuesday's taco and margarita fest came with the consequence of a few miles on the treadmill and 30 minutes on the spin bike. Sweaty but refreshed I turned away from the city and out towards Tyler's neighborhood, windows down and the air on just to combat the June heat. Maybe a dip in the pool would fix the foul mood I seamed to be stuck in? Shutting my Jeep off in driveway I grabbed my bags from the backseat before walking up the cobblestone and straight through the front door, to my surprise not one person greeted me, human or four legged.

Looking around the living room was clear and the kitchen empty, but there was a faint sound of music coming in from the patio doors. Kicking off my Under Armour shoes, thanks to Tyler I had made the switch from Nike and headed for the backyard. As soon as I slid the glass door shut beside me I was hit with the smell of food grilling, music blaring, and two energetic Labs running wild. As I soaked in the environment Tyler called out to me, "Hey, there you are."

Jogging over in swim trunks and a t-shirt, atypical for the man who loves his abs more than he loves me, he wrapped his arms around me placing a kiss on my sticky forehead, "I just left the gym, beware."

"I can tell, we thought you got lost on your way over." I followed Tyler over towards the smoking grill as he talked.

"Sorry, I forgot my phone, remember?" He nodded flipping the pieces of chicken over through the thick smoke.

Waving my hand around to clear the air I laughed at his attempt to actually cook for once, "Y'know when you said you would make something I figured that meant you would order takeout like usual. This is a uhh, pleasant surprise."

"Your lack of confidence in my culinary ability is insulting, Adleigh Ruth." He held his chest in pain.

"Babe, you're burning chicken. You have no culinary ability, hate to break it to you."

Putting the meat onto a plate Tyler shrugged, "I guess you're right."

We ate outside as Marshall and Cash laid under our feet, small talk all around as I worked hard to avoid the topics of hockey, work, and injuries. Which kept us talking mainly about Asher's baseball team who had secured a spot in NCAA playoffs fighting to make it to the World Series in Omaha, a very large accomplishment for UT. My parents and I would be heading to one of the tournaments next weekend to watch one of the few games the Longhorns would be playing in. While Shayla and I would return Sunday, Ben would remain there for the duration of the tournament as usual he tried not to miss the big events in our lives. When our plates were empty I gazed over at the inviting body of water in the middle of the backyard, it had been one of the best parts of spending a lot my days and nights at Tyler's.

"You still have a suit upstairs," Tyler reminded but I had a better idea, bikinis are overrated.

Pulling at the hem of my UT tank top I looked over at Tyler who was watching my every move, "But you have a fence?"

Rising from the metal deck chair I walked out of the black running shorts as I made my way to the pool, at the edge I pulled my sports bra over my head tossing it to the wayside before swan diving into the cool water. When my head popped out of the water I shook the drops from my face, blinking Tyler came into focus standing at the edge of the pool, arms crossed over his chest. Was he mad? Did this pool have a no skinny-dipping clause? "Are you going to stand there all night or join me?"

He laughed pulling his shirt over his head adding to the clothes littering the grass, in lieu of a nice serene dive Tyler opted for the cannonball approach sending water in every which way some even hitting the dogs. "I give that a 7 for style, but I had to dock you for wearing too much clothing."

Ty sputtered in the water making his way towards me, "You're crazy, y'know that?"

"I may have heard that once or twice, what's your point?" I kicked my feet to stay afloat waiting on Tyler to be in arms reach.

"My point," he stopped to wrap his arms my waist pulling us together, "Is that if you're crazy so am I, I know I've driven you nuts lately but you've been so good to me. I don't deserve it, I think you might be crazy for being with me.

He was right about half of that, he had driven me absolutely bonkers lately! But to say he doesn’t deserve me? That's where he was wrong. "You do drive me nuts, but I'd be crazier not to be with you. To quote the great Brantley Gilbert, you're my kind of crazy."

Sliding my hands up his wet arms to his shoulders I pulled Tyler's body as close to mine as I could before kissing him, feeling the love and making up for the last three days of avoidance. Why was I avoiding him again, anyway? "I love you, Ads."

"I love you more." I added leaning my head on Tyler's shoulder as he held my legs wrapped around his waist.

"I don't think that's possible, baby." Was it? We'll probably never know who loves who more, just as long as the love is mutual things will be just fine.

With the soothing water, the slow trace of Tyler's fingers up and down my back I felt the tension dissipate, I had missed this. These little moments where Tyler wasn’t stressed out about getting back on the ice and I wasn’t worried that he was pushing himself too hard, oh the good times.

"So, are you going to tell me what's going on with you now?" Tyler asked just above a whisper, smoothing the wet hair away from my face.

Lifting my head up I knew I was going to have to talk, but what about? Was there anything actually wrong with me? Or was it just a bad day? "Ty, I'm fine it's just been a weird couple of days."

"Girls night gone wrong? You seemed okay on Monday." Girls night had been nothing out of the ordinary, stuffing our faces, horrid TV, boozy giggles; everything was normal except for all the "wedding" talk.

Maybe that had struck a nerve after all.

"I don't know, Hannah kind of dropped a bomb on me. I just wasn’t prepared to have that talk, I guess."

"Care to elaborate on the hot topic?"

"She's getting married." Tyler pushed my slippery body back to get a good look at my face, was I actually serious. Yeah, I was.

"Wow, really? When did that happen?" He seemed just as shocked as I did when she first mentioned the whole situation.

"It hasn’t, well not officially. Luke has his granny's ring, he just graduated physical therapy school, it's time. Or so she says, I mean I'm not so sure."

"So she's half engaged?" I nodded, I guess that was one way to put it, "And you're just thrown for a loop about the whole thing?"

"I sound pathetic, don't I?" Rolling my eyes at my self loathe I tried to escape Tyler's grasp.

Too bad he's like a human vice, I can't go anywhere when his arms are involved. "You are not pathetic, she's your best friend and you feel like you're going to lose her, right?"

"She's been my other half for so long, Ty, before Noah, during, and after that mess, and she pushed me towards you thank God, she's been with me through everything. I can tell her anything, she's my sister, it'll just be weird to not have her down the hall."

"I get that, and I love Hannah too, I owe her a huge thank you everyday for pushing you towards me, but this is what happens when you grow up. We're 24, some people want to settle down, Luke's even older than us, they've got steady careers maybe it is time for them."

I shivered as the sun dipped down into the night as Tyler leaned his forehead against mine, "You're right, I guess. I should be happy for her, I'm the maid of honor, that's like my job to be happy for her."

"C'mon lets go inside, you can be happy for her where it's warm." He kissed me one last time before pulling us to the ladder, climbing out behind him the cool breeze hit me like a semi truck. Jogging through the grass I grabbed a towel from the deck box wrapping myself like a human burrito, soaking in the warmth of the thick cotton towel. Inside as the dogs and my boyfriend settled into the giant couch in the theatre room I took to the large glass shower in Tyler's room. Warm and wrapped in clothes that clearly by their bagginess, don't belong to me I retreated to the dimly lit theatre where NHL Tonight played on the entire wall.

"Noooo way, Ty, can we please watch something else?" I whined flopping down on the massive couch.

"What? They're talking about us, I wanna hear what they have to say."

I groaned throwing my head back, "This, this is what's driving me crazy, Tyler."

"You don't think it drives me crazy too? That this is all I can do? Watch and listen about my team playing without me."

Oh no, here we go.

"Then turn it off! Stop listening, stop throwing yourself a God damned pity party, Tyler! That's why I've been gone for 3 days, I cannot watch you torture yourself anymore!!" Our voices got louder, the dog's ears perking up as we overshadowed the hockey analysts.

Tyler's eyes closed a hand running through his gel-free curls, "That's really what's been bothering you? It wasn't Hannah, it was me. You're mad at me."

"I'm not mad at you, I'm just tired of seeing you pick yourself apart. You can't help your team until you're healed," I stopped yelling, turning my body towards Tyler grabbing his hand with both of mine, "Mentally and physically, healed. Torturing yourself with these shows, reading all the crap online? That's not helping either side."

His fingers reluctantly laced with mine giving my hand a squeeze, "I'm sorry."

"You don't have to be sorry, I'm just glad I got this off my chest."

Tyler's arms pulled me into his chest pressing kisses into my hair, "Next time, tell me? Please don't hold it all in like this, you can tell me anything Adleigh."

"Okay, thank you."

"That's my job, right? I love you, and it's my job as your boyfriend is to listen to you and not stress you out, which I've been doing a lot lately, I know."

I smiled at him in the dim light, "Well, that's true you do stress me out. But, other than that? You're killing it at the boyfriend thing."

Tyler's hand reaches out cupping my face pulling it up level to his own, his lips crash into mine warm and soft, "And you thought I'd be bad at it?"

"I never said that, I was just being stupid. But I will say that I love you, you're kind of the best boyfriend I've ever had."

"From what I've heard I didn’t have much competition."

"Well, you haven't heard about Morgan Elliot, sixth grade was a good time." I joked as Tyler shook his head, rubbing his hand up and down the black fabric of his own t-shirt. Snuggling closer to him with my face buried into his chest I heard the TV change from the NHL network to some reality show, smiling to myself I closed my eyes. Our first "fight" was nothing too serious but there it was, and here we are still happy. As I felt myself falling asleep half on top of Tyler I heard him say one last thing, "You're my better half, Adi, goodnight." It was quiet but I know I heard him correctly, and maybe I felt the same way. Maybe Hannah was only holding that spot until God sent me the man of my dreams?

If that was so, then I had found him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm backkkkk. Europe was amazing but I'm glad to be back in the US of A. While I rode countless buses I mapped out the rest of this story so now I just have to get the words out of my head! So enjoy this little scuffle between the couple, a little Adi freak out, and more Hannah at the request of one reader who was missing the spunky blonde! I'll be back with more chapters soon! Thanks for sticking with me! xoxo, A!