Status: C O M P L E T E D | 9-28-16

Give Into Me.

Late May 2016

What do you do when the season's over, when the lights are out in the AAC, and the Stanley Cup is going to be handed out to a team not named the Dallas Stars? What do you do when all the Canadians start heading back to the Great White North? What do you do when your boyfriend is one of those headed North?

No seriously, I'm asking because I have no idea what I'm going to do with my mopey boyfriend or with myself when Tyler shoves off to Canada for the summer.

The NHL season is over, well at least for the Dallas Stars it is. Their season came to fiery halt when the Stars lost in the second round to the St. Louis Blues to advance to the Western Conference finals. It was hard to watch, painful even to see the boys in Victory Green shaking hands with the Blues, struggling to say good game, good series when I know they just wanted to yell and scream in anger. Hell, I wanted to yell too, but I settled for a few stray tears wiping them away quickly as I sat still as a statue in my seat of the AAC. Tyler hadn't dressed for game 7 so I knew that this loss was going to hurt him deeper than the rest.

It was the final straw, the last glimmer of hope, they needed to win.

But they didn't.

It was almost as if they hadn't even came to play in that game and as the fans still in shock slowly exited the arena I felt like I was going to puke, just thinking about what to say to Tyler when I got downstairs made me nauseas. He would be devastated, angry, probably silent, and I didn't know what to do.

"It was a good season?" No, it was a great season, an amazing season they won first in their division but that wouldn't matter right now.

"You played great?" What the hell Adleigh, he hasn't played in weeks.

"You'll get 'em next season?" Did I have anything that didn’t sound like a damn cliché? No, I had nothing.

Following the line of WAGS down the cold, and eerily quiet hallway we began the waiting game, no doubt the longest one of the season. No one spoke, kids were asleep or being told to stay quiet, everyone's heads turned towards the door each time it screeched open. My phone didn’t get the memo on the silence however, messages of support poured in for Tyler.

Asher: tell Tyler nice season for me, tough loss.
Mom: give Ty a hug for me, love you both!
Dad: don't let him beat himself up, one hell of a season.
Hannah: give him some time and maybe some booze, it was a good run.

He was surrounded by encouragement but I was sure nothing would make him feel better, it would all go in one ear and out the other. Slowly, like zombies men began to trickle out of the locker room, a part of me felt like this was just another loss, they'd make up for it a few days. But the logical other side? She knew this was the end. Looking like someone had just punched him in the stomach Tyler sauntered out of the room, bag over one shoulder a bottle of water that looked like it had seen better days in his hand. He said nothing to me as he approached, only nodding as if to say "let's go", I turned to Abby Sharp gave her a half assed smile and followed after him. Tyler's silence was to be expected but when he tossed the keys to his Jeep at me in the parking garage I was shocked. He always drove, even if we took my car the keys were in his hand.

Tyler clicked the seatbelt of the passenger's seat and leaned his head against the window as I drove out onto the street, rather empty, like a solemn silence had settled all across the city.

"Are you hungry?" I asked already knowing the answer.

"No." Short and blunt, as to be expected.

"Ty," I looked over at him, stopping the Jeep at a red light.

He huffed rubbing his face, "Can we not do this right now?"

It was silent the rest of the way home, the dogs begged for attention but for once Tyler walked right by them and straight up the stairs. I watched him go, one hand rubbing Cash's ears the other patting Marshall's back. "Your daddy's in a bad mood boys, don't take it personally."

After taking the two Labs outside for excessive amount of time to avoid going upstairs, I gave in. Following the silence I wandered into Tyler's bedroom, the lights were on but he wasn't in bed meaning he had to still be in the shower. Only the water was no longer running, pushing the door it opened revealing a broken hearted Tyler sitting on the edge of the bathtub water dripping from his hair and beard onto his shorts. His dark brown eyes were focused on the tiles of the floor but I knew he wasn’t assessing the pattern, he was assessing the season.

"Babe?" Nothing, not even a head turn, "Ty, honey c'mon let's go to bed."

Still nothing, just deafening silence.

Crouching down to his level I leaned my arms on his knees, finally his head tilted up, eyes moving to look into mine instead of the glossy white tiles, "Hey there."

"Hi," Tyler mumbled.

"Tyler, staring at the tiles isn't going to help you any. How about we go sleep on it?"

"I'm not tired."

"Your face says otherwise, you're exhausted and you're depressed, and I get that baby, I do." Pushing myself up off the cold floor I sat down on his thighs, startling him a little. "And you don't have to talk about it, about hockey that is, because no I don't know how it feels to have a season ripped out from under you, but I do know how it feels to be hurt and watch your team go on without you." What I was saying could have been going straight through him as I raked my fingers through his wet curls.

"I could have helped, I was ready to go, I could have played… I just, I could have, I don't know I just feel like I could have helped." There it was, as his head fell against my chest he let go, coming clean of all the guilt he felt. Even though it was all ridiculous, he needed to get it off his chest.

"And maybe you could have, but they did what was best for your health Ty, one game is not as important as the rest of your career. You have so many more chances to win the Cup, I promise you'll hold it again one day."

"Yeah, but I wanted it this year."

Pressing my lips on top of his head I hugged his shoulders, "I know baby, I know."

"We should go to bed, I guess I am tired." Of course you are, I thought to myself standing up to give Tyler's legs a breather. He followed suit grabbing my hands before I could leave the room, "Hey, thank you, for the pep-talk."

"I'm a cheerleader remember? I'm YOUR cheerleader, I'm always in your corner. Remember that, okay?" Holding my face Tyler pressed a few soft kisses on my lips.

"I love you, Ads."

"And I love you right back."

To my surprise Tyler fell asleep before I did, I laid there my head on his chest listening to him breathing beneath me, his heart thundering under my ear. How many more nights did I have like this? How long until Tyler went back "home" to Canada? Would it be next week or next month? All of his friends were there, and I knew he had a lot of training to do before the World Cup of Hockey in September. He would want to come back with a vengeance, training extra hard so did that mean he would want to head back to Toronto as soon as possible? What was I supposed to do, I have a job and with football firing back up and the office picking up pace with rookie camps and training camp right around the corner leaving Dallas for the summer was impossible. My mind raced, why had I never thought of all this before, why did it all hit me right now. Staring at the ceiling fan I watched it spin round and round, our relationship is about to take a turn and only God knows if it's for the worse or the better.

When I woke up Tyler was still in bed his back towards me, I stared at the ripples in his back muscles and the swirls of black ink wrapped around his arms. Was he awake? Who knows, but damn he was so beautiful like this no stress just calm and serene. As I stared at Tyler he began to wiggle around eventually turning onto his side, he blinked his eyes a few time adjusting them open before giving me a small, sleepy smile.

"Morning," he whispered sticking his arms out under the blankets to wrap around my waist.

"Morning, love. How're you feeling?"

"I don't suppose all this was just a bad dream and we have another game tomorrow?" No, unfortunately life doesn’t work that way.

I shook my head, "No, I'm sorry baby."

"Damn." He huffed moving his hand up my side to my arm all the way up to hold my face in his hand, "I'm glad you're here, things would be a whole lot worse if you weren't."

"What's going to happen to us?" Before I could stop it the words were out of my mouth, I hadn't meant to open that can of worms so early in the morning but the can was popped and things were about to get serious.

With a confused look on his face Tyler tilted his head, "What do you mean? I thought we were good, great even?"

"No, babe that's not what I mean, we are great, perfect it's just you're leaving and I need to know what's going to happen while you're not here." Pushing upright I leaned back against the headboard spilling out all the things that had been rushing through my mind since last night.

"Adi, how long have you been freaking out over this?"

"Not long, I mean I've thought about it, but it all just hit me last night. The season's over and you always go back to Canada, and I don't know if you know this or not but Canada and Texas are a long way apart."

Tyler gathered both my hands that had been knotted in my hair, pulling them into his lap, "Yeah, I know Texas and Toronto are a long way away from each other, but there are these things called airplanes they make this kind of stuff a little easier."

"I can't go to Canada Tyler, I have work and it's almost football season, I'm going to be swamped at the office, Hannah's on engagement watch, and, and, I'm.. Dammit I'm going to miss you, Ty." I had cracked once again, teardrops began sliding down my cheeks as a sob croaked out of my mouth.

My hot tears dripped off my face onto Tyler's bare chest but he didn't even flinch, he just held me there against him rubbing circles on my back trying to get me to stop crying but both of us had no more words. No answers to the big question, what were we supposed to do? There was no guidebook to this kind of relationship, ours was unique he was here from September until June-ish and then I would be alone trying to make long distance work something that had failed me in the past.

But I'd be damned if I let that happen again, I knew Tyler would never hurt me like Noah, he had seen the aftermath, the way I had broken down, he didn’t have that kind of meanness inside him.

That was one thing I was sure of.

"I can stay here until July, if you want I know you love the fourth of July more than any other holiday, then there's your birthday that week too so that gives us almost two months. After that there's always weekends, I don't care how much it costs I'll send a plane for you every weekend just to see your face." Tyler explained with his chin digging into the top of my head.

"Don't stay here just because I'm here, if you need to go Ty, then go. I get it, I do and I knew this was going to happen, I just , I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon I guess." It was true, I had thought we'd have so much more time. After all they had had one hell of a season, I like most Stars fans thought this was the year they would win the Stanley Cup keeping Tyler in Dallas most of the summer but I was wrong.

"Adleigh, what do I have to do to get you to believe that I would do anything for you? If I could I'd stay here all summer, I'd love nothing more to wake up to you every single day right here but we both know right now that's not going to happen. I'm never going to ask you to put my career above yours either, so this is what I'm offering you; half a summer with me and countless weekends in Toronto parading you around the city I grew up in because I love you and I want you to see the city that made me, me."

"Okay." I sniffled flipping my eyes up from the spot on the bedding that I've been staring at to look at Tyler.

"Okay, that's it?"

"I don't know what else to say, Ty. You just always have and idea on how to fix things, and I'm a mess all the time, I wouldn’t blame you if you wanted to go to Canada tomorrow just to get away from my basket case ass." I had to laugh at myself as I wiped the tears from my sticky face before Tyler's hands were holding both sides of it.

"I don't always have the answer, baby, trust me I'm a mess right now too but I meant what I said. I'll do anything for you, to prove to you that I'm all into this you and me thing, we're going to make this distance thing work, 'cause I'll be damned if this Is my only summer with you. I want so many more summers with you, Adleigh." The tears? They were back full force but for other reason, I was still internally freaking out about Tyler leaving but for now I was drowning in happy tears over how much he was willing to work for us. Tyler's thumbs swiped under my eyes catching the drops before they even had a chance to run down my cheeks.

"Have I ever told you how much I love you?" I sniffled trying to smile at Tyler.

"A few times, but I don't mind hearing it every once in a while." He winked giving me that signature smirk.

"I love you, Tyler Paul, I really, really do."

"Good thing, 'cause I'm kind of head over heals in love with you too."

The tears dried up and the constant buzz and dinging of Tyler's phone eventually forced us out of bed, it was time for him to face the music. I showered as he called his mom back who had left a few voicemails, got dressed and went downstairs; just because the Star's season was over didn’t mean we both got the day off. I had scheduled a few personal hours this morning knowing that I would be up late either celebrating or consoling Tyler and I was thankful for them right now, going in at noon was a godsend. Tyler sat at the bar in the kitchen his back towards me, phone pressed to his ear as he leaned on his elbow, I could hear him talking and I presumed it was still his mom once I heard him explaining our newly hashed summer plans.

My heels clicked on the hardwood of the kitchen as I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, taking a drink of it I turned and face Tyler he smiled and spoke into the phone, "She's right here mom, do you want to say hi?"

I knew Jackie would want to talk before he even asked so I held out my hand, when the iPhone landed in my hand I pressed it to my ear, "Morning, Jackie."

"Hi sweetheart, how's he taking it? It's like talking to a brick wall on my end."

Flicking my eyes over I scanned Tyler who was zoned out on the wall of cabinets behind the stove, "He's okay, just disappointed I think. Locker clean out will probably make it more real than it is now."

"Oh, my poor boy. But he's in good hands with you, I know that. Anyway, Ty tells me you'll be visiting here soon? The girls and I can't wait to show you the city!"

I smiled and leaned against the counter, "I'm looking forward to it, too. Just hoping it's not as hot as Dallas, it's blistering down here already."

"No promises on that, honey. Well, I should let you go Ty said you were headed to work."

"Yeah, I was just on my way out the door. I'll talk to you soon, Jackie." This woman, just like my own mother had a way of dragging out conversations.

"Alright, have a good day at work sweetie! Love you!"

My lips curled into a smile, "I love you too, here's Ty." I handed Tyler back his phone pressed a kiss to his forehead and said goodbye, I couldn’t be late to my already half-a-day of work!

Noon to five dragged on for what felt like an eternity, I worked through my lunch break and smiled as genuinely as I could at every person who stopped by my desk to offer condolences on the abrupt end to the Stars' season. To be frank the day sucked, and each time I muttered a "Yeah, they'll get 'em next year" or told the person that Tyler was fine even though he was extremely lost I wanted nothing more than to go home to check on him. But I also didn’t want to suffocate him, so when the workday was over and my head was clear thanks to a good workout I headed towards my parent's house instead of my own or Tyler's.

I needed someone to talk some sense into me for a change.

"Oh come on Ump, you know that was a strike!" It took no more than 4 steps into the house to figure out where my parents, or rather my father was hiding within the large house. Grabbing a drink from the kitchen I shuffled my socked feet across the cool wooden floors until I got to the hallway that split into my old bedroom on the left and the den on right. Hanging a right I leaned against the doorframe my eyes met with the brightness of the TV playing the ESPN-U broadcast of UT vs Georgia, where the Dawgs were up 4-2 on the Longhorns.

"Looks like the boys are strugglin' today," I commented as my dad's head snapped over still grumbling something about the strike zone.

"Just a little bit, now what's my little girl doin' here?"

Waltzing into the dark room I flopped onto the old leather couch, "Can't a girl just come visit her daddy?"

"She can, but my girl doesn't unless she's got something on her mind. Somethin' eating at you kiddo?" Oh boy was it.

"Hold that thought, our boy is up." Averting our attention back to the screen as number 12 stepped into the batter's box, Asher tapped his bat in a square formation wiggled his hips like he had been his whole life then jacked the second pitch to deep center field right over the outfielders head. A triple after the fielder bobbled the ball in the sunlight bringing in one run to keep the Horns in the ballgame.

"Looks like they just needed their favorite cheerleader, huh? Now back to you, Ads, what's going on?" Ben gripped my kneecap as I turned on the couch drawing my legs Indian style underneath my body.

"Tyler's leaving, or he should be and I just don't know what to do. He said he'll stay longer if I want him to, but can I really make him stay?"

My dad and I never really talked about boys, or boy I should say as the only one that ever made it home was Noah and after that shit storm went up in flames I stopped talking to anyone but Hannah about the opposite sex. Until now, since it's apparent that my parents love Tyler almost as much as I do it seemed like the right thing to do. Not to mention my mom's at a conference in Tulsa, so he's the only person available to listen to me rant.

"Oh so its boy trouble, we haven't had one of these chats for awhile."

I smiled at the grey headed man, "Well it's not one of those chats, daddy. For the most part everything is fine, but am I supposed to be freaking out like this? I knew he would leave eventually."

"Honey, I know you love that boy and he's great, really your mama and I like Tyler a lot but y'had to know that the Canadian has to go back to Canada eventually."

"Trust me dad, I totally get that part. I guess I just need someone to tell me if I'm being crazy? Do I ask him to stay here just for me? Or do I suck it up and wave goodbye next week?" Taking a sip of the bottle of tea in my lap my father thought good and long about his response as the Longhorns tied the game.

"I've been married for almost 30 years sweetheart, I know better than to call a woman crazy. But to answer your question, I think you should let him go, let him get away from Dallas, Adi. Sitting here in the city where the season went to shit isn't going to help, he needs to breathe, have some fun, he may want to stay here for you now but what happens when you're at work 5 days a week?" The real adults always have the right answers, even if they aren't what you want to hear sometimes, parents are usually right 95% of the time.

"I've been thinking about that, I have a real job that keeps me in the office or around Dally 5 or 6 days a week, training camp is about to start if I asked him to stay here he'd be by himself. I can't make him stay, I want to… But I can't." I sat up putting my feet on the carpeted floor.

"Y'know I think you had your mind made up before you came here, Adleigh Ruth."

"Yeah, I had a lot of time to think today at work and at the gym. Dammit, did you see that? If they're going to swing at balls like that they're askin' to lose!" My dad just laughed at my lost train of thought, "Sorry, but I uh y'know dad I think there's someone else I need to go tell my decision to."

He nodded and stood from the couch wrapping his arms around me, "You can do it baby girl, just be strong. He knows you love him, but if you love someone you have to let them go, right?"

"So I've heard, daddy. I love you, thanks for listenin' to me."

"Anytime sweetheart, I love you too. Now, get outta here before the Horns start battin' again." Ben kissed the top of my head and practically pushed me out of the den, before I knew it I was back in my Jeep headed a few streets over to Tyler's. I would make this short and sweet, tell him how I felt and go home. Staying the night would make things worse, the more time I spent in his arms the harder it was going to be to let him go.

In front of Tyler's dimly lit house I put my Jeep in park letting my gaze settle on the front steps of the house, the black light box was on making the glass in the door twinkle. In every movie I'd ever seen the couple either A.) broke up on the front porch steps, B.) made out in the pouring rain, or C.) either the girl or the guy poured their heart out in the middle of the night just hoping the other felt the same way. But our love story has always been different, and I think that's why it's my favorite.

Eventually I got out, took a deep breath, straightened up my ponytail and as confidently as I could walked up to the big wooden front door. As I stood there I realized that in all the time I had been to Tyler's house I had never knocked, he either met me with the door wide open or I waltzed right in on my own. By knocking I knew Tyler would get that this was serious, and to me it was. I was letting him go, I was showing him that I cared enough about him and his happiness that I would let him live his summer the way he always did even if that meant that it didn’t involve seeing me everyday.

Closing my fingers into a tight fist I knocked, hard for two reasons, 1. because I knew Tyler was probably in the media room upstairs, and 2. to get the dog's attention in case Tyler didn’t hear me banging outside. Just like clockwork I heard the two labs inside going haywire as I continued to knock, the longer I waited I could hear Tyler's voice telling them to calm down and for whoever it was outside that he was coming. I took a step back when he got to the entryway, as his hand turned the doorknob my stomach tightened, it was time.

Tyler looked absolutely shocked to see me on the other side of the door, he stared open mouthed for a second before he finally spoke, "Hey.. Uhh the door wasn't locked? What are you doing out here?"

"I uhh, I wanted to talk? But it's going to be fast." Cue the confused puppy dog head turn.

"Are you okay? Ads have you been drinking?"

I shook my head sliding my hand up to grab my neck, " No, I've just been thinking. Which is just as dangerous I guess, but there's something I need to tell you and I want you to know that I love you, a lot. Okay?"

"Babe you're scaring me.. Y'know I love you too, are you breaking up with me?" Tyler stepped out of the doorway closing the door behind him.

"No, God no. I just, I've decided that you should go, home.. I mean you should go to Canada whenever you want, don't sit here all of June just because I'm afraid to let you leave. I have work and it's petty of me to have you sit here in the city while all of your friends are somewhere else." I felt my chest fall after all the words were out, this was how I really felt and Tyler needed to know.

"So instead of staying here until July you want me to leave sooner? You want what exactly? Adi, I was staying her for you." I took a step forward grabbing at his hand to try and explain myself further.

"I want you to be happy, I want you to have the summer you always do even if that means we can't see each other. I have to work babe, and I would feel horrible if you were all by yourself everyday. Canada is your home, and I'm going to visit, a lot like my passport is going to be so worn out by the end of the summer, but I can't in good faith keep you here just for me." Tyler and I stared at each other, my green eyes were like crystal clear lakes compared to his dark brown holes.

Tyler's shoulders loosened, "Where did this come from? This morning you wanted me here, and you liked the July thing? Or I mean I thought you did."

"I've been thinking all day and I went to see my dad after work, I guess I needed a man's opinion? So, I saw it from his point of view and I was being crazy to keep you here. I know you love Dallas, it's your home away from home but when there's no hockey here it's not the same. Your friends and your family? They're in Canada and it'd be incredibly rude of me to hoard you all to myself all year round."

"But I love Dallas too, it's kind of hot sometimes and all but it has you, and that's kind of my favorite part these days." Tyler added lacing our fingers together.

"And you're going to be my favorite part of Canada, but we need to do this. You've gotta train and I've gotta work, but they just need to be done in two different countries. We've made it through two leg injuries, crazy ex-boyfriends, and my stubbornness baby, I think we can handle a little separation anxiety."

Tyler shook his head and brought me into his chest, "Y'know most girls want their boyfriends to be around all the time."

"Well, lucky for you Mr. Seguin I'm not most girls. I'm YOUR girl, and she wants what's best for you. And if that means I have to ship you off to the Great White North, then I'll do it because I love you and your happiness is very, very important to me."

"Y'know I might be biased, but I think I'm the luckiest man in the world?" Tyler whispered leaning his head down, lips hovering over mine.

"I'll be biased too and say you are," He smiled and connected our lips.

"I love you Adleigh Ruth, and I'm going to love you for a very, very long time."

Smiling I pushed up on my tippy-toes, "I'm going to hold you to that very promise, Tyler."

"I'm countin' on it baby, so you coming in or what? It's a little warm out here."

"Y'know, I think I'm going to get a jumpstart on getting used to sleeping alone. You've got an early morning anyway, move out day." I didn't want to bring that up but it was happening tomorrow whether Tyler liked it or not.

"Okay, yeah, I should probably get to bed soon anyway." Tyler raked his fingers through his hair before stuffing both hands into the pockets of his shorts.

Putting my hands on his hips I looked up at him, "Smile pretty for the camera's baby, and don't forget "it's not goodbye, it's see you later"."

With that he cracked that award winning grin, "Kiss me and get outta here, you're like a walking cliché."

As I was told I kissed the boy in the low light, squeezed his hips and followed the path of stones back down to my car. I had done it, I said what needed to be said, I didn't chicken out and Tyler saw the light, agreeing with me that going home was the best idea. I'd cherish these next few weeks or however long Tyler hung around in Dallas, but I would also look forward to going North to see how the other side lives. After all, it is the place that my love calls home so it can't be all that bad.
♠ ♠ ♠
"If love someone, set them free." how very strong of Adi to tell Tyler it's okay to go without her (: but how long will she last before running up to Canada herself?!

sorry for the long break! I went back to work and it's taken up a lot more time than I anticipated :/ xoxo- Al