Complications

Ainsley

"Ainsley, are you listening to me?" Her mother's concerned voice drifted to where Ainsley was sitting at the kitchen table while her gaze and mind were out the bay window, longing to be elsewhere.
"I'm fine, mom."
"That's not what I asked honey."
Ainsley shifted her pale face to stare at her mother. She was a stunning woman with long blonde curls that framed a beautiful angled face, and big grey eyes that were filled with confusion at the moment. Her tall, slim figure was leaning on the counter top clutching her coffee cup that read "World's Best Mom".
"I need you to watch your sister tonight. I'm going out with a friend from work, it should only be for a couple hours." she took a sip out of her mug, "I'll leave you some money for takeout."
Ainsley rolled her dark eyes and let out a long sigh, "I already had plans tonight."
"You can't reschedule?"
"Can you?"
"I've dedicated my youth taking care of you, feeding you, being there for you and you won't do a little favor for me? What's so important tonight that can't be done tomorrow?"
"Fine." All Ainsley could think about was how pissed off her boyfriend, Allen, was going to be when she had to reschedule their anniversary dinner.. for the third time in the last week. He hates it when she has to change his plans, something that happens quite often with a mom who loves to guilt trip as much as possible. Just two days ago, Ainsley had to call him an hour before their big date night to pick up her nine year old sister from ballet since their mother forgot. Or when she had to leave Allen's birthday party early to rescue her drunk mother from getting arrested for attempting to fight some bartender downtown last month. With every excuse for leaving him, his grip got tighter, his voice got louder, his touch caused a intense amount of pain.
"Thank you, sweetheart." Her mother's plump pink lips curled up into a devious grin, "See, it doesn't hurt to help out your mother, does it?"
While tugging at the long sleeves of her cardigan Ainsley let out another long sigh, unable to ignore the irony in her mother's recent words and the message on her coffee mug.
"Sure, mom.'