Status: active

Human Errors in New York

Back Home

Georgia walked slowly and deliberately. Each step she took consumed too much of what little energy she had left from when she got off her plane. Gravity seemed to increase and pull her body down but she couldn’t stop walking. Her momentum was painstakingly slow but if she would choose to stop or increase her pace, she was sure she would break. The moment her plane landed fifteen minutes ago, Georgia was sure that these next few hours were going to be difficult for her –not just physically but mentally and psychologically as well.

She couldn’t stop thinking of what she had left behind. She couldn’t stop thinking of who was waiting for her back there. Small glimpses of the memories she had made there came flashing back at her one by one. Little details like the smell of bread, the color gray and Amala’s laugh made her miss the past few months she stayed in New York. But there were a few memories she made that she would like to forget. One such memory involved someone that she would like to erase from her mind but at the same time keep it there as well because she knew that no matter how much she wanted to let go, she just couldn’t.

She hopped into the cab and told the driver where she wanted to go –home. Georgia started envisioning what would happen when she would open her front door. Her parents would be surprised for sure because she was two weeks early from her expected arrival. They would hug her, hold her and tell her how much the house felt so lonely with her absence. Afterwards, they would ask her why she came home so early and so unexpectedly when they knew that this trip meant so much to her. These questions were questions that she could not answer. She would have to make up a lie and convince her parents that something came up but everything is fine.

The vehicle stopped in front of a white picket fence and Georgia stepped off after she paid. The driver offered to assist her in bringing out her luggage but she quietly refused. Her palms were sweaty and she started getting anxious again. Another foot in front of the other and repeat. This was what she did in the airport. She mimicked her past actions once more until she reached for the front door and unlocked it with her key.

The stairs was the first thing that greeted her. Benjie came rushing to see who came in to see if there was an intruder but instead the St. Bernard saw his owner after a very long time. He jumped on her and licked her all over. Whimpers followed to show that he missed her just as she missed him.

“Where’s mom, Benjie?” Georgia asked.

The house was quiet when she came in but as soon as Benjie started making noise, the stairs started creaking from the weight of two people coming down from upstairs.

“Who’s there?” a familiar voice prodded. It was Georgia’s parents coming down. Streaks of white hair started showing but the same loving smile was still there on both their faces.

Her parents’ face showed all the feelings their daughter expected to see. The next few scenes were exactly how Georgia played it in her mind. There were gasps, hugs and kisses from both parents. Georgia’s father pulled away her luggage and set it aside. The mom on the other hand, held her daughter and led her to the dining room to be seated where they could talk. During all these, their daughter smiled the sincerest smile. She missed them terribly and for first time since she came home she actually felt happy although she knew that this feeling would last for a little while.

Because in a few moments, she would be up alone in her room, going over everything that happened and what she wished had happened and come to the conclusion that there are just a few things in life that don’t really go the way anyone plans them to be.