Status: This is a completed story that I'll be uploading into a few separate chapters

Love Against War

The Meeting

It was a cold spring day, and dew glazed the grass of Northern Ireland. The sun was still working its way up into the sky gently kissing her skin. Grace O'Conner loved this time of day the most and she often took long walks just to clear her mind, and plan for the day to come. Very seldom did she come upon a villager on her walks, but from time to time a local would appear and nod hello. Grace of course being respectful would say hello in return, and that was usually the extent of the conversation, a simple hello and occasionally a goodbye. But today was a special day a day where the person she met on her walk would change her life...forever.
She slowly worked her way up the hill. The mountainous climb seemed like it would never end. Grace was breathing fairly heavy when she reached the top. There she stood over looking a small village that was just coming to life, the sun had just peaked over a distant hill, and it was now shedding happiness upon the people. She knew she had chores to do and animals to take care of, but she wanted to feel the bliss of the sun. It lit up her exuberant green eyes; they were the shade of summer grass, with just a hint of gray. The gentle wind blew her long, red, curly hair and danced in her dark blue dress. The whole of it made her smile a radiant smile.
"What was that?" Grace thought suddenly, as she spun around, away from the peaceful scene. She had heard a faint noise that was somehow familiar, but she couldn't figure out where it had come from. She ignored it, and continued her relaxing walk. Then there came the noise again, this time it was much louder.
Abruptly out of a dark green bush popped a small, grey and white sheep dog, he had clearly been the source of the noise. He wasn't growling but signaling that he wanted to play. He was an extraordinary cute and happy looking dog. But where was his master? "Hey little fella, and just where might your owner be on this lovely morning?" she said, squatting down, scratching the mutt behind his ears. Her thick, rich Irish accent flowing marking her as a true native of the Irish land she stood upon. The dog then licked her face, and merrily trotted off. She decided to follow him, after she wiped the saliva off her cheek. She didn't have to be back at the house for a while; the chores could wait. She wanted to take part in the little adventure of following the dog. The green grass seemed to be glowing under the bring, warm sunshine and she greatly enjoyed dancing in the beams while following him. For being such a small dog, he was surprisingly fast. He made a sharp left turn, and Grace followed blindly, running straight into a tall sturdy something, or someone.
There, in front of her stood a man. He looked about her age, maybe a year or so older, and certainly wasn't hard on the eyes. His hair was short dark and engrossed in curls that all seemed intertwined with one another. His eyes were as green as an emerald, and his facial expressions were warm and friendly. He was fairly tall maybe about 5'11" but to her almost everyone was tall in comparison to her 5'2" tiny frame.
"Good morning miss. I'm sorry if Max bothered you any." the man apologized with an expressionless face. His voice was soft and gentle and could lull a dragon into a deep slumber, especially with his comforting, rich Irish accent. "Oh no he's fine, I actually enjoyed his brief company," she replied smiling. He smiled in return; even his smile was breathtaking, sparkling white teeth against his sun kissed complexion.
"Do you walk often?" he asked as he threw a stick that had been lying on the ground. Max again slowly trotted off to go and find it; he was obviously in no hurry. "Yes I do, I think it's a great way to start the day. My name is Grace by the way," she answered, still smiling as Max came back up the hill, to be with his friends wagging his tail vigorously the whole time. Max dropped the now very slimy stick at her feet.
"Yet indeed it is. The is a lovely name, Grace. My name is Shane, Shane Flannigan," he said as he continued to smile dazzlingly. He offered his hand, Grace took it and they shook politely. She just couldn't stop herself from smiling along with him. Her heart was pounding and she could feel herself already blushing.
Grace beat Shane to the stick, Max looked up at her as if she was worth worshipping. She then threw it with remote effort but it went surprisingly far; she herself was surprised by its distance. "Wow nice throw!" Shane said enthusiastically, laughing lightly.
"So would you do me the pleasure of walking with me on this fine morning Miss Grace?" he asked, his smile having subsided only a little. Grace had just met this kind man but it felt like they had been friends since infancy. She felt so complete and whole while walking alongside him.
"I would like that very much," she replied.
At that the two, three including Max were off to continue their morning stroll, filling in the quiet budding morning with introductory conversation.
"So you're Irish obviously," Grace started.
"Yes my mom is Irish, and my father is English. What about your parents?" he added.
"Well my dad is Irish, and my mom was part Russian, part Scottish," she answered hoping he wouldn't realize she used the word "was" when she mentioned her mother. She really didn't feel like entering that long and dramatic conversation.
"Oh, wow! You're a combination of a lot of good things then," he said. there was something in his face that suggested he knew what she had meant when she had said "was", however he knew not to bring it up.
"Yeah I suppose I am. You have a very rich accent, even with English blood," she commented.
Then it hit her, their countries were in a war against each other as they spoke. It was the year 1916 and the Irish Revolution had begun earlier that year. To make a long story short there were people in Ireland who wanted to continue to be rule by England. Grace belonged to the opposing force, the side that wanted to be independent, her father did as well. The most horrible thing about the entire situation was Grace's father was an assassin against Northern Ireland, and England. It was his job, and his specialty to kill as twisted as that seemed. He had been in the Irish military since the age of 17 and had never wanted to leave.
Grace was certainly happy her dad was so pleased with life and that he was good at such a respected job. Frankly though she couldn't think of a worse or more dangerous job. It was the last thing on earth she wanted her dad to do. Go out day after day killing the enemy and anyone else who got in the way. Grace was unsure of whether or not to tell this to Shane. She really like him and was almost certain he liked her equally but she knew that telling him this, especially since she just met him it would almost certainly guarantee complications. She knew he wouldn't want to talk to her after such a statement so for now she chose to keep it to herself.
"Yes I suppose I do, I think it has something to do with living among people who also have a strong accent," he replied, grabbing her hand to help her over a log that blocked their path. They went on talking for three whole hours pausing every now and again to throw Max's stick or to stop and admire the scenery. They occasionally would take turns telling short stories from their childhood memories. Grace had never been so comfortable sharing. She felt as if she was literally laying her life out in front of him, and it was his choice as of how to respond. The even wound up conversing about Grace's mother, a topic she usually tried to avoid.
Another thing Grace realized while spending time with Shane was that he was absolutely the best listener she had ever met. He listened intently with a constant look of interest on his face. Nodding occasionally, laughing when necessary and smiling his heart melting smile whenever she wasn't saying something sad. He acted as if her life was the most interesting thing, even though she knew it certainly wasn't. She too listened intently; his life story, while rather uneventful was still very interesting.
They had walked back past everything they had walked by once before. Max was still trotting in between them, occasionally stopping to smell the ground. They eventually came to the noisy creek in front of her house. Grace wasn't too concerned about her father seeing her and who she was with, he more than likely wasn't home. Not wanting to part just yet they sat next to each other on a nearby log.
"So what will you be doing tomorrow?" Shane asked, still smiling.
Grace stopped and thought for a moment and no plans came to mind.
"Nothing more than some laundry, why do you ask?" she replied, having a good guess as to what he was going to say next.
"So you'll come horse-back riding with me then?" he asked. While talking earlier he had gathered that she absolutely loved horses, she couldn't possibly resist his offer.
"Yes I would love to get away from my chores for a while," she answered smiling.
"Great, I'll meet you at the stone bridge at dawn." He said. He jumped to his feet and took her hand in his gently and gave it a warm soft kiss.
"Until we meet again Miss Grace," he added with a flicker or light in his eyes. He then lightly jogged away with his faithful companion by his side. Grace watched him until his figure faded into the distance.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please please comment, I would more than appreciate it :)