Status: Ongoing

When Worlds Collide: Book Four, Air

One

The blue world around me was comforting after a long day at my grandparents. The crows and squirrels paled in comparison to the creatures that surrounded me now.

Aang sat across from me, his legs crossed, and a stick in his hand. He drew in the dirt idly, giving a loud sigh.

"Maybe you're wrong," he said. "Maybe the portal is here in the spirit world."

My immediate reaction was to push the thought away, to find another answer because it wasn't. I didn't feel it, and I felt that I would. I had been through it twice. Surely I'd be able to at least sense the stupid thing.

But I had to explain that the to Avatar, the reincarnation of every great and wonderful person to step foot on land.

"If that's the case, how did Ozai banish Ursa here?" I asked. "He can't enter the spirit world."

The monk sighed again, and pressed the heels of his hands to his eyes. "We've been at it for weeks," he said, and not for the first time, I noticed how much older he was. "Maybe if the library hadn't of sank. Maybe if our world had even the slightest bit of order..." He stopped there, giving himself a moment to breathe. "I've searched all of the temples. We've chased down every lead. Sam, I don't know what else we can do."

I didn't move for a moment. I didn't want to lose hope, but if the Avatar had lost it, what was there to hope for?

"Ursa said the night of her banishment, they never left the palace," I reminded. "Maybe we're looking too far away. Maybe we need to stay close to home."

"Did you look at the bridge, where you first crossed over?"

He was ignoring the question.

I sighed. "Yes," I nodded. "Ursa and I checked it out after one of my check ups. The bridge itself is totally normal, but the water... It's different. Every other time I try, I can't bend. It's impossible in the world. But there, at the bridge... It... reacts. It moves, and ripples, and... it's alive."

"Maybe the portal opens from your side."

"But how?" I asked. "In your world, there's bending, there's magic, there's hope." I stood, running my fingers through my hair, and beginning to pace. "In this world, there's nothing. False hope, that's it."

Giving a forced chuckle, Aang said, "Katara would hate it."

I tried to glare at him, but I couldn't. "Do you remember back in Ba Sing Se," I started, stopping my pacing and wringing my hands together. Shaking my head, I started again. "Do you remember when Azula sent me that letter, making me believe that I could see my family again?"

He nodded, looking at me curiously.

"Back then, I was so sure that nothing could change my mind. Back then, I knew that I wanted to spend my life in your world." Crossing my arms and staying at the horizon, I sighed. "I came back, thinking things would be like before. I thought... I thought my life would pick up where it left off, you know? I thought I could be happy knowing that I helped play a part in winning the war.

"But here, I can't talk about it. I can't go down memory lane with these people, because I took a detour. And now you guys are stuck cleaning up the mess, and I can't help. Just like during the comet, I'm useless."

"You weren't useless," Aang snapped. "Because of what you said, the people of the Fire Nation are helping us rebuild the world. Uprisings end before we even get there because purple you talked to were able to calm people down. Sam, you helped more than you know."

My eyes watered, and I quickly looked down, crossing my arms. "I want to go home," I said. "Home, with you, and Katara, and Sokka, and Sukki, and Toph, and... and Zuko."

It was the first time I admitted it out loud, that my world wasn't home anymore. From the shock on Aangs face, he hasn't expected me to say it.

New determination set in his eyes, and leapt to his feet, rushing over to hug me tightly. "We'll fund a way, Sam," he promised. "We'll get you back. Zuko's been so worried, and this will definitely help him relax. Well, maybe. He might just work even harder than he already has to find the portal. And Katara-"

"Aang," I giggled, "breathe. Take your time. We have until the end of the summer. That's two months. If anyone can do it, it's you."

The monk smiled brightly, nodding his head. "I promise."

A brightness started to take over the world, and I frowned.

"It's time, isn't it?" Aang asked.

I nodded, pulling away from the hug. "It's time to get up. I have an appointment today, so Ursa and I can take a look at the river again. If there's anything there, well find it."

"Be careful."

/////\\\\\

Nan and Pop had a rooster on their farm, but it was lazy. It didn't crow until mid-morning, meaning I woke up the sun. Well, sometimes.

Most mornings, like this one, I woke up to a body jumping on mine.

"Sam!" Danny shouted. "Sammy, wake up! Your eyes were glowing again. Do my eyes glow? Nanna said I ima- image-"

"Imagine," I prodded.

"Yeah, imagine-in."

I grinned, pulling my little brother down on to the mattress and tickled his belly. He shrieked in laughter, kicking his feet, and trying to push me away.

When I let him breathe again, he gave a mock glare. "Nana says you have to eat breakfast so we can see Miss Ursa."

My heart skipped. "Okay," I nodded. "Yeah. Let's visit Miss Ursa."