Status: Stories do not intertwine, will go on forever.

Unfortunate Souls

Black Feathers

I prefer to do my work at night, surrounded by darkness and accompanied by the stars.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way. Sometimes the sun is so bright it's blinding, and sometimes it's raining so hard it knocks me out of the sky.

Today is sunny with the promise of a beautifully clear night. The hospital is bustling with activity, and families sit quietly, either waiting for news, or waiting for visiting hours to begin.

I let my feet drop to the floor, my dark wings folding behind me. My eyes scan the area, searching for the room of my next victim. It's at the end of the hallway, and I don't bother walking. With a blink of an eye, I find myself standing next to a small bed, where a girl is sleeping. Her head is bare, and her face is sickly thin. Her breath is shallow, and the tubes plugged into her nostrils don't seem to be any help.

The room is deathly quiet, save for the slow and steady beeping coming from one of the many machines.

Loud voices from the hall remind me of my task, and with a sigh, I lean forward and gently touch her shoulder. At first she's still, but then, like a drowning man suddenly reaching the surface, she gasps, clutching at my arm, her eyes searching desperately.

I shush her, carefully cupping her face in my hands.

"You're alright," I tell her. "Hush now, you're fine."

"I was dying," she states.

It never fails to shock me how the dying seem to always know. I hide it, though, and nod.

"Yes," I say, "you were dying."

"But I'm alive?" she asks.

Unfortunately, the dead are hopeful.

"I didn't say that," I tell her, shaking my head. "You were dying, but now you are dead."

I watch the thoughts flicker through her dull eyes and her cheeks pale - from fear or just because of the fact she's dead, I'm never sure.

"No," she finally whispers. "I mean, I knew it would happen, but..." She stops and looks me up and down.

She sees pale skin, eyes swimming with lost souls, and massive wings sprouting from my backside.

"You're an angel," she breathes.

"Of sorts," I nod, "to some."

"Did you kill me?" she asks.

I shrug, having answered this a thousand times in the last year alone. "I suppose I did, though I'm just doing my job."

In her eyes, I see monster. But when I take flight and offer my hand, she only hesitates for a moment.

We disappear through the window, and time resumes around us. Doctors rush in the once occupied room, surrounding a chilling body, and the girls parents curse my name.

My job is done.
♠ ♠ ♠
As much as I pretend to hate it, this is probably my favorite so far.