Calliope

one

"I want to go home," Roy muttered in my ear. I felt his hand on my back but then he moved it towards my thigh, conveniently in a spot my dress couldn't cover. I knew what he was thinking and I gave him a look; we couldn't do that here.

There was a clinking noise and I gently nudged him. He sighed in disappointment and we focused our attention to the stage, where Evan was standing with a glass of champagne in hands. He was grinning at us.

"Welcome, everyone," he spoke into the mike. "We all know why we're here, because on this day, one year ago, my sister married an, ugh, Patriots fan." Several people, including Roy, laughed. "All joking aside, I remember when Calliope first told me about him. As her younger big brother, it was my duty to make sure that whoever decides to love Cal knows how much of a slob she is. And that she hogs the bathroom for two hours in the mornings." There's more laughing and I rolled my eyes. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I did go to see Roy though, when Cal told me that she was insanely in love with him–her words, not mine. I asked him if he knew how great my sister was and he said that he knew even before he ever spoke to her. That every time he saw her stopping to smell the flowers outside of Flo's Florals on his morning route to work, before they officially met, he knew that my sister was a special girl. That's when I knew that I didn't have to use the macho brother act on him because he didn't need it. My wonderful, intelligent sister found someone just slightly less better than her. And that still holds true today. So, happy first anniversary you guys!"

I felt myself grinning really big and everyone held up their champagne glasses. Roy turned my head with his hand and placed a kiss on my lips. I smiled into it, feeling happy.

"Oh, and uh, shout out to Flo's Florals for being the reason Roy ever approached Calliope in the first place and for doing the arrangements tonight," Evan said, before walking off the stage again. This caused a few laughs.

Evan came down and joined us at our table. I pulled my baby brother into a hug and said, "That speech was so beautiful!"

"It really was," Roy agreed.

"I know, I know," Evan chuckled. I rolled my eyes and pretended to push him away.

The rest of the night, people kept approaching us to congratulate us and take photos for their Instagrams. I knew Roy was getting annoyed; he just wanted to go home. I was tempted to grab his hand and sneak out of there, but Roxy, my sister-in-law and the one responsible for throwing such a party, would've been crushed.

Eventually, the night did end, after more people we didn't really care about asked to take photos with us and some dancing on the dance floor. Roy and I waited outside for the valet to get our car.

"Come on," he muttered, impatiently.

I took his hand and said, "Baby, why are you in such a rush?"

He pulled me close to him and he had a devilish smile on his face. "Just all the things I want to do to you tonight."

I giggled and pulled him down to kiss me. He wrapped his arms around my waist but let go suddenly. I was taken aback until I saw a boy in a red vest standing in front of us. I glanced at Roy, he looked angry.

"My wife and I have been waiting here for twenty minutes. Where's our car?" he asked.

"I'm sorry, sir, a lot of people used our valet services tonight and we only have a couple people on staff. It'll only be a few more minutes," he explained. He genuinely sounded sorry and I felt bad. It wasn't his fault they were backlogged.

"Well, I'd prefer it if you brought our car around first," Roy said, staring at the kid.

I looked between them and after a moment, he nodded his head. "Yes, sir."

"We could've just waited, you know," I muttered, realizing what Roy did.

"Trust me, my love, you don't want to wait any more for tonight," he said, smiling. I stared at him but then I smiled back. Roy never let up on a promise. Even if it was wrong that he controlled the mind of that poor kid, I couldn't resist.

He came back with the car and I got into the passenger seat as Roy held it open for me. He closed the door and handed the valet $5 and said, "You should hire more people."

"Yes, sir," the kid replied, stalking off. I realized Roy did it again. Was he going to go hire people now?

"Ready, baby?"

I looked over at Roy, who got inside the car, and he leaned in to kiss me. When he pulled away, I said, "I'm more than ready."
♠ ♠ ♠
idk how I feel about this
it may be rewritten
this is meant to be a short story, but I'm excited about it!