Calliope

two

Evan didn't know the real story of how Roy and I met.

He was right about the flower shop and about how Roy would see me every day, but he didn't know the part where he mind controlled everyone to be where they were so that he could meet me. He told the shop owner to have every beautiful flower he owned out that day. He told all the pedestrians walking around to watch him ask out 'the most beautiful girl in the world.'

I didn't know what was happening of course, I assumed he set the whole thing up and got people in on it. I thought it was the sweetest thing anyone had ever done for me.

"See?" Roy breathed, resting his head in the crook of my neck. We were naked and had spent the last three hours that way. "I told you I was gonna do a lot of things to you tonight."

I laughed, closing my eyes. Roy kissed my neck and I murmured, "I love you."

"I love you more than you know."

We laid there for what felt like ever, Roy occasionally kissing a part of my body. I was almost asleep when my phone suddenly rang, vibrating against the bed stand and startling both of us awake.

"Who the fucking hell is calling you this late at night?" Roy asked.

I checked the Caller ID and I didn't recognize it. I answered it anyway.

"Hello?"

"Calliope!"

"Mom?"

I looked at Roy, who raised his eyebrows.

"Calliope, please, you have to help me–" My mother whispered, sounding panicked.

"Mom, what's going on? Why are you whispering?"

"I'm scared, Calliope. Come to the house, please."

"Scared of what? Mom, it's four in the morning–"

"Calliope, I'm scared for my life, please hurry!" And then the line cut off.

I stared, confused. My heart was suddenly beating very fast.

"What happened?" Roy asked.

"It was my mother," I said, standing up. "We have to go."