Wherever You Are

Chapter 1

I thought of you when Easton kissed me that night.
He took me out on a date, the first I had been on in a long time. It was like something straight out of a movie, a picture perfect first date. First we went out to dinner, then a movie, then he drove me home and walked me back to my dorm. I could feel the butterflies creeping back into my stomach, butterflies I hadn’t felt in a long time.
Before the night was over and we said our goodbyes he kissed me. Once again, it was picture perfect. I looked at him and was about to say what a great night I had had when he grabbed my face and kissed me right there in the hallway of my dorm building. My heart stopped and my head swirled, but still I couldn’t help but think of you.

Three years earlier…
I grinned ear to ear when I saw Carter’s old maroon Taurus pull up in front of my house. I ran across the room and took one last look in the full length mirror mounted on my purple bedroom wall
I was wearing a new flowy tank top and dark skinny jeans, was it too much?
Shit. I thought to myself, I forgot to brush my teeth. I breathed into my hand in an attempt to smell my breath and couldn’t really tell so I decided to pop in a piece on gum just in case.
Okay, you can do this. It’s just a boy Allie calm down. But she couldn’t calm down. Every since she and Carter started talking on facebook (which soon lead to texting and snap chat) Allie couldn’t get him out of her head. They’d hung out a couple of times with friends, but never alone and Allie’s nervous level was on high.
With one last squirt of Bath and Body Works Sweat Pea body spray Allie heard the door bell ring and bolted down the stairs.
Carter was from Benton, a near bye town, so Allie didn’t know him very well yet. He was also two years older, which for some reason made the whole ordeal just that much more nerve racking. What Allie did know was that he was 6’3”, had perfectly shaggy blonde curls, gorgeous big brown eyes, and when he smiled he had a dimple on his right cheek. Allie had to fight back the urge to squeal like a little girl just thinking about it.
Allie had known of Carter for quite some time. Being from small town Nebraska, usually weekends consisted of getting together with friends and since the schools were pretty small, that meant hanging out with people outside of your town. But you see, there’s a big difference between knowing OF something and actually knowing them, and Allie had been admiring him from afar for quite some time now.
Which was why she was in complete and utter shock the day that she heard her Facebook ding with a message from none other than Carter Turner. The Carter Turner that she Instagram stocked with her best friends countless times, the Carter Turner that she once sold popcorn to at a high school basketball game and got so nervous she spilt half of it on the floor in the process.
“Hey” was all the message had said, but man did it make her heart soar.
When Allie opened the door she felt that same heart soaring feeling.
“Hey”, he said.
Wow was that the only word he knows or is he as nervous as I was right now? But holy shit he looks amazing in Carolina blue. I felt the cool April air wash into the living room, bringing me back down to reality.
“Oh hey!” I replied, trying to keep it cool and stepped aside so that he could walk in. My house wasn’t very big and impressive and I suddenly felt really self conscious about it. I should have cleaned more.
My mom was working and my older sister Brooke was out with friends so I had my house to myself, Carter and I had made plans to watch some movies. I had rented Cabin in the Woods and Avengers earlier that day, because Carter had said once in a text that he likes horror and action movies. I’m a big horror movie fan too, so this was OBVIOUSLY meant to be!
Carter sat down on the old green couch in my living room and I walked over to start the DVD. While the credits were going I made some popcorn and even managed not to burn it. I offered it to Carter and he have me the cutest grin that just about made my heart explode into nine thousand tiny little pieces.
I sat down and my leg brushed up against his perfectly faded BKE jeans and it sent an electric shock up my body, not knowing what to say I just ate my popcorn and by that point the movie was at the title screen and ready to be played. I was glad for this because I had no idea what to say to him. Talking to him over that phone was so easy, why was I freaking out now?
We didn’t say much during the movie, just a couple jokes about the cheesiness of the special effects.
Time went bye and by the time we were on the second movie we had still had no real conversation yet, get your shit together Allie, if you don’t seem interesting soon he’s going to loose interest.
But then it happened. Carter went in for “the move”. You know when you pretend to yawn to get your arm around a girl? Yeah, that move. Only, it wasn’t very well executed. He smacked me in the face with his elbow and immediately I was fighting back tears.
Ow, ow, ow, that REALLY hurt. Don’t you dare cry!
“Oh my God, are you okay??” The look on his face and the concern in his voice was the cutest thing I think I’ve ever seen, OMG why did he have to be so adorable?? This would be way easier if he was average looking.
I nodded my head before letting out a shakey “no…”.
He pressed his fingers against my nose and gently rubbed.
“How bout now?”, he asked with a grin on his face making his dimple stick out, I saw that he had the slightest gap between his two front teeth that I never would have noticed if not for our close proximity.
I shook my head no, probably just because I wanted him to touch me again. Again he rubbed my nose and with an even more playful grin asked, “How bout now?”.
Enjoying the little game we started, I shook my head no again and what happened next I wasn’t expecting. He calmly brushed a piece of hair out of my eyes and tilted my chin upwards. It was the first time I had looked him directly in the eyes and at that moment I knew what was about to happen. He leaned in for a kiss, and I’m not talking a little peck, I mean a full on “kiss me like you mean it” kiss. I could have stayed in that moment forever, if the feeling when I saw him earlier made my heart soar, this feeling was the equivalent of a small shuttle launching.
Finally, Carter pulled away and with the biggest smile on his face he repeated, “How bout now?” Not gonna lie, that was pretty smooth. Two can play at that game. So again I shook my head no and grabbed him by the shirt collar and pulled him in for another kiss, this one just as amazing as the last.
To say that I was on cloud nine by the end of the night would be a gigantic understatement. I felt like the kid in the “David After Dentist” YouTube video saying “Is this real life?” because at this moment I wasn’t so sure.
After he was gone that night I collapsed into bed with a huge smile on my face and what was left of the butterflies Carter gave me fluttering around in my stomach.

To be continued…