Wherever You Are

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I awoke the next morning in my dorm room to the sound of my roommate, Erica, loudly snoring. I was used to this at this point, but annoyed all the same. I got along with her alright, but we weren’t exactly friends. I blindly reached for my phone on the night stand, knocking it on to the floor. Groaning quietly, I sat up, picked my phone up and checked the time… 7:34 A.M.

When my feet hit the cold linoleum I got a sudden tingle all the way up my spine that sent shivers through my body. It was December, and Erica had left the window open again. I seriously can’t wait for Christmas break to sleep in my own warm bed again, I thought to myself as a walked across the room to my dresser to get ready for my 8 A.M. class. Who the hell signs up for 8 A.M. classes anyways?...
The day went slow and I kept remembering the feeling of Easton on my lips, which was amazing and wonderful and everything I could have hoped for… But the memory of my first kiss with Carter still came crashing back to me like when you wake up with a hangover and the punishment for the night before just hits you like a train.

Although the thought of Carter and all the good memories brought a smile to my face, I guess you just never truly get over your first heartbreak. But how could I simply forget and move on, when he gave me so much to remember?

“Allie!” Carter’s voice on the other end of the phone made my heart skip a beat, “What are you up to?” I could hear music and the sound of people chattering loudly in the background.

“Oh nothing, just got out of the shower. Why, did you have something in mind?” I was getting antsy at the thought of seeing him again.

“Well I’m driving around with some of the guys and was wondering if you wanted to join, maybe? I mean if you don’t have plans for the rest of the night!”

Driving around was what we did around here on the weekends a lot of the time, there wasn’t a lot to do in small town Nebraska, so naturally we had to make our own fun somehow.

“Sure! When will you be here? I need to change yet.”

“Look out your window.”

I grabbed the towel tight around me and took a peek out of my bed room blinds, sure enough a big red Chevy pickup was sitting outside of my house, I assumed it belonged the one of the “guys” Carter had referred to.

“Be right down!” I said before hanging up and rushing to my closet in a mad rush to find something cute. After scattering multiple options on the floor and making my usually tidy room look like a mini tornado just tore through it I settled on a light blue v neck and dark wash jeans, mom did always say my eyes popped in blue, and hopefully Carter thought so too.

I threw on my white converse, grabbed a hoodie just in case, and headed out the door. The sun was just setting and clouds looked particularly pink
.
I opened the truck door to see Carter and a couple Benton guys I recognized but had never met. One with short dark hair in the passenger seat turned around and offered me a Busch Light, I wasn’t much a drinker but I took it anyway.

“Hey, I’m Max.” He said with a friendly smile, “And this is Aaron.” He gestured toward another dark haired boy in a backwards new era cap in the driver’s seat.

“Hi, I’m Allie.”

“Oh we know; we’ve heard quite a lot about you.” Said Aaron, shooting Carter a teasing grin.

“Shut up and drive already!” Carter replied, smacking him playfully on the side of his head knocking his hat off.

We took off into the night and Max cranked a Florida Georgia Line song on the radio. Carter put his arm around me and it was almost like everything froze for a minute when I felt his hand brush against my arm. I can get used to this I thought to myself as a took a sip of my beer.

Not before long we pulled up to what looked like an old abandoned house out in the country. Aaron stopped the truck turned off the lights.

“So what do you guys say? Who’s up for an adventure?” He asked.

“Dude no. I heard some kids from Scottsville got caught trespassing here last summer.” Said Max looking up at the gigantic skeleton of a house. I’m sure it was gorgeous at some point, but now it was giving me the heeby jeebies for sure.

“Don’t be a chicken shit! Come on Carter, you agree with me don’t you?”

Carter didn’t respond, instead he looked at me.

“What do you think, you in?”

I was a little scared and definitely didn’t want to get into any trouble, but I didn’t let him see that.
“Hell yeah!” I replied with a grin, life’s about having fun and taking chances isn’t it? So I grabbed his hand and swung open the door. The cool spring air rushed over me, causing Goosebumps to rise up on my arms, and I was suddenly thankful for the hoodie I had brought along.

It was dark out now so we used the lights of our cellphones to guide the way. We tried the front door first, with no luck. Around back we found a cellar entrance which lead down into a dirt floor basement. There were old canning jars lining the walls and what appeared to be some kind of rusty old furnace.
Carter was the first one to spot the stairs leading up to the main floor and we all followed suit. There was a missing step where it looked like somebody had fallen through, but luckily the rest of the steps held up just fine for us.

The inside of the house was no more welcoming than the outside but I stood in awe at a beautiful old chandelier covered in years of dust and grim.

Suddenly I felt hands grab me by the waist and let out a shriek.

“Shhhh” I heard Carter whisper into my ear. “They went off to explore… Looks like it’s just me and you bro.”

“Hey, who are you calling bro? Do I look like a guy to you?” I laughed.

“I dunno,” He replied with a playful grin, “What are you like 5’5” 120? Sounds pretty masculine to me!”

“Puh-Lease! I could kick your ass Turner!”

“Ohhh, bringing out the last names? You’re going down Spencer!” Then he grabbed me around the waist and flung me over his shoulder and headed off up a flight of stairs. I giggled and begged to be put down, when he finally did we were out on a balcony.

I tried to contain my laughter and took a seat on the wooden floor looking out into the Nebraskan night sky. Carter sat down next to me and took his hand in his, suddenly he had a really serious look on his face.

“Allie.”

“Yeah?”

“Well you know I really like you right? Well there was a reason I wanted to take you out tonight, the truth is I couldn’t take it any longer… I need to ask you something.”

“Go ahead…” I said, trying to act like my heart wasn’t beating a million times a minute.

“It’s just that ever since I got the courage to talk to you things have been going so great! …Sorry, I don’t know how to go about this, I’m sorry,” he let out a laugh “I’m just really nervous.”

“Don’t be sorry… I’m nervous too.” I admitted

“No way! How can such a beautiful girl get nervous over anything?” he said, making my heart soar again. “I guess what I’m trying to say is… Allie Spencer, would you do me the honor of officially being my girlfriend?”

I opened my mouth to respond but before anything came out we heard footsteps and a shout.
“Carter! Allie! We gotta get outta here now, we found security cameras!”

“Shit shit shit shit shit!” said Carter before pulling me to my feet, grabbing me by the arm and then sprinting out of the house and to the truck.

My heart was pounding even harder than it had been before, what if we get caught? We have alcohol in the vehicle, this could be bad.

Aaron skidded out of the long drive way and tore down the gravel road. I looked out the window to see the rows of freshly tilled corn fields rushing by and when my heart rate slowed down I looked up at Carter sitting next to me and we both started to laugh.

I knew he wasn’t going to be able to hear me over the radio so I got out my phone and typed out a message.

The answer is yes.

But there was no service. Why weren’t things in real life as easy as they are in the movies? I thought to myself watching the little circle rotate over and over until what seemed like decades later finally went through.

I felt Carters red Motorola buzz on the seat and watched him read my text. A grin grew across his face and his dimple was just visible in the light coming off of his screen. He leaned over and kissed me good and hard, Aaron and Max were too busy loudly singing along the radio to even notice. When we got to the highway we saw a county cop car wizz passed and we celebrated our small victory against authority with another round of Busch Light.

To be continued...