Status: One-Shot

Old and New

Tease

Delicate heels clicked along the white and silver tiled floor. Guitar worn fingers clutching a stack of papers, teal hair braided up in a bun on top of her head and an athletic body wrapped up in a red dress and a black suede jacket. Today the life of an assistant was relatively nice and slow for Laila. And after being one for the same man for seven years, she knew just how rare those days were. Especially with a schedule like their`s.

At thirty three years of age, most didn`t understand why Laila was an assistant of all things. And to a musician of all people. But the truth was, she enjoyed it. Sure, touring for months on end could be hard. Cooped up on a bus half the time or on planes, though working for a man with a private jet had it`s perks, spending half your day on the computer or phone organizing photo shoots, interviews, board meetings, merchandice meetings and discussions, financial discussions, planning, and the list just keeps going on and on. At the end of the day she was exhausted and most of the time, promptly passed out as soon as her head hit the pillow.

But there were days she could relax and even times her bosses band mates took paper work away and convinced her to take a break for an hour or two. And then there were times she took a breather and watched their concerts with fan like glee. Those fun moments were cherished and often reminded her why she took this job in the first place.

Working for X Japan`s band leader had it`s perks and fun moments but it was damn exhausting.

Laila strolled into the sitting room, a fond smile making it`s way onto her face at the sight of her boss. He was curled up on the couch and he wasn`t alone. Laila recognized the two men from a few pictures in Yoshiki`s office. Kyo and Kaoru of the band Dir En Grey. Her boss produced the bands first album and it had brought a life long friendship with it.

"Good evening, Yoshiki," Laila greeted. "I`m sorry to interrupt."

He waved her off with a grin. "It`s fine. I would like you to meet my dear friends, Kyo and Kaoru. Boys, this is my very dear assistant, Laila."

For a split second, she could of sworn both their eyes lit up.

"We`ve heard much about you," Kaoru spoke up.

Laila smiled. "All good I hope."

"Of course!" Yoshiki exclaimed with an impish grin.

She chuckled. "Somehow I don`t believe you."

"Mhmm. Maybe you shouldn`t then."

Kyo and Kaoru shared a look before watching the two curiously. They acted more like friends than assistant and boss. Perhaps there was more to it than that?

"You`d think after seven years I`d get used to your teasing," Laila muttered with a playful eye roll.

The two Dir En Grey members shared another look. Well that answered that question, now didn`t it? Seven years working together had to of brought along a strong friendship. And by the looks of it, a lot of goofing off as well.

"Seven years is a long time to be someones assistant," Kyo commented.

Laila shrugged. "I suppose it is. But Yoshiki and the others of X Japan make it worth it. We`ve all worked together for so long, it wouldn`t feel right not seeing each other almost every day. And even if we didn`t work together I`m sure we`d find ways to be around each other as much as possible anyway."

"That we would," Yoshiki agreed with a smile. "She makes everyone less of a pain in my ass." He snickered, "Oops."

She snorted. "Wait till they hear you called them that. Again."

Her boss shrugged. "It`s not the first time. They`ll get over it."

Kaoru and Kyo watched the two with amused smiles. They were definitely fond of each other. The two really must of become close friends for her to stick around for so long. Seven years will do that to you, though. It really shouldn`t of been a surprise.

"I`m sure one day we`ll part ways as employee and boss though," she ignored Yoshiki`s huff and pouting while continuing, "but that won`t be for a few more years. I can`t seem to give him up just yet."

"She doesn`t plan on leaving until marriage and babies come along," Yoshiki explained, still pouting.

"And babies may not be part of it," Laila muttered with a huff.

"Do you not want them?" Kyo inquired.

She shrugged, "I really don`t know. The more my mother keeps pressuring for grandchildren the more I want to tell her it won`t happen."

"It will work out," her boss assured. "We can always keep stalling her if we need to."

"That`s sweet of you, but you still wonder why she questions me about you?"

"She always has."

Kyo and Kaoru watched the two as if they were watching a tennis match. Eyes following back and forth in what had quickly become playful banter. Probably to lighten the slowly darkening mood.

"But my sweet Laila," Yoshiki teased.

She groaned, "That is exactly what I`m talking about! The nicknames are half of the reasons."

"Are you two always like this?" Kaoru interrupted.

"Yes."

Kyo snorted. "No wonder her mother thinks you`re together."

"It`s not that she thinks we`re together," Laila corrected gently. "She just doesn`t understand how two single people can work together for seven years and only be friends. Of course neither of us have been single the whole time, mind you. But she doesn`t understand it."

"Does she just want you in a relationship?" The singer asked.

"I think so. Like I mentioned before, she wants grandchildren. She actually had the nerve to tell me she`d overlook our age difference if it meant she could have them," she answered with a frown.

"When did she tell you this?" Yoshiki questioned.

"This morning. She woke me up with another relationship rant."

The drumming pianist nodded. He was no stranger to his assistant`s mothers wake up calls. She`d get them quite a bit while on tour. The constant phone ringing had even woken him up a few times.

Unfortunately those wake up calls lead to him answering the phone and getting the brunt of a "why aren`t you married with children yet" rant. Laila spent hours apologizing the first few times it happened despite her boss assuring her that it was okay. After all, he had a mother too.

Kaoru raised an eyebrow, "I take it this happens a lot?"

Laila nodded, "Oh yeah. It used to be a just a monthly occurrence but now it`s a once a week thing. Sometimes twice a week if she`s bored."

"You seem used to it," the guitarist commented.

She shrugged. "In the grand scheme of things, I know she just wants me to be happy. After I realized that I got used to it and decided to just go along with it and let her rant."

"She`ll stop eventually," Yoshiki added.

"We can only hope." Laila glanced down at her watch and cursed. "I`m sorry to cut this short but I have to go. I`m almost late for a meeting." She handed her boss a stack of papers with a weary smile, "I already looked them over but I thought it best you do as well."

He nodded. "That would probably be best."

"Alright, I better get going. It was great meeting you two."

"We look forward to seeing you again," Kyo said while Kaoru nodded in agreement.

"I would like that," Laila said before walking to the door, only to pause when her boss called for her. "What it is?"

Yoshiki grinned, "I like your dress."

She snorted. "You should. It was my birthday gift from you."

His smile only got bigger. "I know." He waved his finger in a circle. "Do a twirl?"

She groaned but complied. "I swear you`re worse than Sugizo."

He snickered and waved her off. "I`ll be sure to tell him that next time I see him."

"You do that!"

Unfortunately Laila barely got out the door before she was turning back around from someone calling her name again. So much for the meeting. This time it was Kaoru walking up to her. And he looked a little nervous.

"Is everything okay?" She asked.

He nodded. "Yeah. I was just wondering if you would like to go to dinner sometime." He quickly added, "To get your mom off your back, of course."

She cast a quick glance back at Yoshiki to see him and Kyo nodded encouragingly. Well if they didn`t mind... "Sure. I`d like that. To get my mom off my back, of course."

Kaoru grinned. "Later tonight? At eight?"

Laila nodded. "It`s a date."
♠ ♠ ♠
Iv`e been slowly writing this off and on for a little while and I honestly can`t remember what the original idea was.