Status: Updated when possible

Don't Think I Can Fight This Anymore

Twenty-seven

We are pleased to invite you to the union of

Charles Septimus Weasley and Evelyn Rose Finch

July 20th, 2005

The Burrow


~*~

“Charlie Weasley, you will sit! You’re getting married tomorrow! You need a haircut!”

“Evelyn doesn’t give a damn - “

“Language!”

“Right, love?”

Evelyn sighed wearily, looking for all the world like Arthur, and looked up from the menus and drink lists she was placing in leather booklets. This was the last, absolute last thing she had to do before the big day tomorrow.

“Charlie, you need a haircut.”

Charlie fell into the chair in shock. “You said you liked it long.” He sulked.

“I do, sweetheart. But our wedding isn’t about us.”

“I was under the impression that it was.”

“No. It’s about all our friends and family.”

Charlie smiled and shook his head. Of course. She’d never do this kind of ordeal for herself. So he said, “Oh. That’s why we’re spending so much money on it.”

“If we were eloping, you wouldn’t need a haircut.” She caught a look from Molly for even thinking such a thing. “But, I like your family too much.”

“You can grow it back out later.” Molly soothed, raising her wand around her son’s head. “But I won’t have you looking like a stray dog tomorrow!”

“Not too short, okay?” Charlie begged.

“And make it quick, Mum.” Bill said, leading George, Percy, Ron, Harry and Daniel into the kitchen. “We’ve got to take him to his stag. Trip and Nate are waiting for us.”

George looked at his best friend. “Evs, you should get upstairs.”

“Hm? I’m almost done.” She said, turning to yet another menu. “Damn it Charlie, why did we invite so many people?”

Daniel grabbed his sister under the armpits and pulled her away from the menus while her future brother in laws started putting the menus together themselves.

“Upstairs!” Daniel insisted. “Upstairs!”

Harry frowned at one of the menus. “Poutine appetizer? What the ruddy hell is poutine?”

“Are you boys still doing that stupid house climbing thing?” Molly demanded. “Charlie, you’re too old for that!”

“Mum, it’s tradition!” Ron said. “Even Percy did it.”

“Yeah, blame our great-great grand-dad.” George said.

“Don’t you always say you remember Dad doing it for you?” Charlie pointed out, brushing hair clippings off his lap.

“Yes, because your Uncle Fabian hexed him, and he fell two stories.” Molly said testily.

The boys roared with laughter. The sound followed Evelyn up the stairs as she made her way to Ginny’s old room.

“You have everything packed?” Molly was asking.

“Yes. My robes and everything are already at Bill’s. I know better than to turn up here in the morning. Evelyn would have my head.”

“And mine too.” Bill added.

Charlie’s one condition was that they got married here, at the Burrow. In the middle of the summer, it was beautiful here. Evelyn made sure that Molly didn’t have any work to do. She organized for the large white tent, the caterers, even a gardening service to fix up the orchard a little bit. Everything was ready to go. The only thing she had to worry about was her parents showing up tomorrow.

Daniel didn’t know why Evelyn had invited their estranged parents to her wedding. He repeatedly told her that too. She tried again and again to explain to him that they were their parents, even after everything. That even if their father was an ass, their mother meant well. At this point, Daniel would look to Charlie to back him up. And Charlie would say, it’s her choice. Leave her alone. Evelyn didn’t know this, but when she left the room Charlie would reassure Daniel that he’d pick up the pieces if something went wrong at the wedding.

Evelyn pushed open the door to Ginny’s childhood bedroom to find Ginny, Hermione, Tess, Sylvia and Angelina Johnson lounging about the room. Evelyn’s bachelorette party had happened a few days ago, but the girls wanted to hang out with her tonight while their husbands (or in Angelina’s case, boyfriend) were out having one last hurrah. Ginny, Tess and Sylvia were bridesmaids so they were staying the night.

“Oh, good.” Sylvia said, looking up from her seat on the floor. “You’re here. We can start drinking.”

Evelyn laughed. “Since when do you wait for me?”

“Since motherhood. I can’t drink like I used to.”

Ginny opened a bottle of prosecco with her wand and poured everyone except Hermione, who was breast feeding, a glass.

“I’m assuming Charlie will be here soon?” Hermione asked, sipping a flute of ginger ale.

“I can’t believe they do that.” Sylvia sighed, shaking her head as Evelyn nodded and sat on the floor. “I mean, I expect it from George. The rest of them, though.”

“You sound like Molly.” Evelyn laughed.

“The window climbing thing?” Tess asked. “It sounds cute.”

“I almost pushed Harry out the window when he climbed up here.” Ginny remembered. “I was so mad they talked him into it.”

Evelyn laughed and Hermione shook her head. “Idiots.”

There was a sharp knock on the window and Evelyn couldn’t help but smile as she stood and climbed onto the bed to open the window. As soon as the window was open, Ginny winced at the sound of her brothers and husband jeering at Charlie from the grass.

“Hi.” Evelyn smiled at him.

“Hey.” He moved his hand inside to better grip the window sill. He was carefully standing on a thankfully strong ivy branch that clung to the house.

“Come here often?” Evelyn teased.

“You know, I don’t, but I might have to. Amazing view.”

“Shut up, Weasley.”

“Which one!” George shouted up at her.

“Hey!” Evelyn poked her head out the window, leaning around Charlie. “Give us some privacy, assholes!”

Angelina shook her head in amazement. She didn’t know Evelyn too well, but it was amazing how soft she got when Charlie was around. Like she had been just now, up until she yelled at George. Hermione moved off the bed to give them a little more privacy and Evelyn smiled at Charlie.

“I like the haircut.”

He sighed and ran his fingers through it. “Yeah, yeah.”

“It’ll grow back.” She reassured. “And I like it, but I prefer it long. More to grab onto.”

Behind her, Sylvia rolled her eyes. “Bloody hell, Evs. We’re right here.”

“Evelyn Rose, you stop it!” Daniel shouted from the grass. “As far as I’m concerned, your children will be an immaculate conception!”

“What the hell is the point of this stupid tradition if everyone listens in!” Evelyn snapped.

Charlie laughed and leaned in to kiss her. “It’s to say goodnight. It’s very romantic.”

“Very silly, more like.”

But he leaned on the window to hold himself steady as he kissed her. Evelyn closed her eyes and felt like she’d burst with happiness.

“Charlie!” Percy shouted. “Quit snogging her! Let’s go!”

“Shut it!” He looked back at Evelyn. “I have to go, apparently.”

She smiled. “Have fun. But not too much.”

He laughed and pecked her on the lips once more. “How can I? You won’t be there.”

“Merlin’s shorts.” Ginny gagged. “Is Mum sure I’m related to him?”

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” Charlie smiled, then started to carefully climb back down the house.

Evelyn leaned out the window to watch him. “Charlie?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.”

He smiled up at her. “I love you too.”

“Charlie!” Ron barked up at his older brother. “I swear if you don’t come down here so we can start drinking, I will - “

“Hey!” Evelyn yelled down at him. “Watch yourself, Ronald. I still remember my military training.”

Ron muttered something, and Evelyn heard Daniel saying, “No, sorry. She can kick my ass too.”

“Let’s go before this turns into my stag.” Bill grumbled.

George looked at his brother. “You didn’t have a stag.”

“Yes I did. Charlie and I sat in the garden and drank two bottles of firewhiskey.”

“Why didn’t you invite me and Fred?”

“Well, we only had the two bottles.”

~*~

Evelyn and Tess ran uphill, chasing a black baby dragon. Tess screamed out a patronus, and it swooped up the hill, attacking the dementor the floated eerily under the tree. Evelyn’s silver labrador followed, and when he sank his teeth into the dementor’s robes, it glided away. The witches reached the top of the hill.

“Oh, thank God.” Tess breathed as Kevin Hayes stirred under the tree. “We made it. He’s alive.”

Something clicked in Evelyn’s brain. This isn’t how it went.

The dragon lunged forward and sank his teeth into Hayes’ neck. Tess was screaming and Evelyn was wrenched around and thrown halfway down the hill. She wiped mud and rain from her face and got up, but someone kicked her in the shoulder and she fell onto her back. She screamed as her collarbone cracked.

Daniel was standing over her. “You know what the definition of a hero is?” He asked. “Someone who gets other people killed.”

Gasping for breath, Evelyn sat upright in bed. Sherlock was already next to her, whimpering and licking tears off her face. Taking deep breaths, she reached out and hugged her dog. She tried to reinforce the truth in her brain.

Kevin Hayes was not her fault.

Killing the soulless body was an act of mercy, he was gone by the time she got there.

No one, Daniel especially, blamed her for anything she did during the war.

She so badly wanted Charlie to be here.

The room was full of grey light, and when Evelyn glanced at the time, she realized it was eight am. Trying to wipe dog slobber off her face, Evelyn slipped out of Charlie’s childhood bed and left the room, Sherlock trailing behind her.

As she came down the stairs, Sylvia looked up and whistled a few bars of, ‘Here comes the bride’. Evelyn looked at her, confused for a moment, then grinned.

“I’m getting married today.” She said.

“I know.”

Tess handed Evelyn a big cup of coffee. “Here. You’re going to need this.”

Evelyn looked around. “I need a saucer for Sherlock.”

“Already covered.” Tess said, setting a tea cup of coffee on the floor for the dog.

Molly came into the room, looking flustered. “Hello, Evelyn, honey. I’m glad you’re up. You have to start getting ready soon. I think Ginny’s awake. I’ll have to check on her soon. I wish those clouds would go away.”

Evelyn looked out the window and realized why everything seemed so gloomy. Horrible dark purple clouds hung above the Burrow, threatening to unleash hell on earth.

“It’s not going to rain.” Evelyn said confidently.

No one responded to that.

~*~

Evelyn was looking out the windows. The clouds still hadn’t cleared. “It’s not going to rain.” She repeated.

Sylvia frowned as she rearranged Evelyn’s skirts.

“Is this really that important?” Evelyn sighed.

“Yes.” Sylvia said. “By the time this day is over, you’ll find you barely remember any of this. But you can look through the photos.”

“But all this posing. I thought I was paying you to take natural photos.”

“I am. But we’re also taking some really nice posed ones.”

Evelyn sighed and looked at the lilac colored bridesmaid dress she had chosen. It was strapless and long, with artfully ribbed bodice and skirts covered in gossamer. Basket woven wedges and pearl jewelry completed the look. It looked beautiful on Sylvia, as it did on Ginny and Tess. Evelyn knew she had chosen well, and that they might possibly outshine her. She didn’t care. They matched the purple and white wisteria bouquets and centerpieces Sylvia had spent two days putting together.

“Look in the mirror.” Sylvia directed. “Try to relax.”

Evelyn looked at the mirror, and Sylvia carefully lined up a shot that would look past the side of her face to capture the reflection. Evelyn had chosen a simple chiffon v-neck dress with skirts that seemed to flow forever, but wasn’t puffy in any way. Pearls belted off the dress below the bust. She had opted not for a veil, but her hair was curled and pulled up and pinned with more pearls. Sylvia did not think she was outshining the bride at all.

“You can’t stop smiling, can you?” Sylvia asked.

Evelyn shrugged. “I hadn’t noticed.”

“Uh-huh. Alright, look at me, tilt your head just a little.”

Evelyn did as directed, then smiled when Molly bustled in wearing a new sky blue dress.

Molly smiled and gently cupped Evelyn’s cheek. “You look beautiful, honey.”

Sylvia snapped a photo as Evelyn whispered her thanks. Sherlock trotted into the room and sat next to his mistress. His usual leather collar had been changed out for one made of pearls, and he had been forced into a bath and rubbed down with oils. Molly affectionately rubbed the dog’s head.

“Do you think he knows what’s going on?” Molly asked.

“If he does, I’m sure he hates it.” Evelyn muttered. “I’ve never met a dog who hated baths more than him.”

“I’ll make sure he gets some extra food at the reception.” Molly looked at Sylvia. “Charlie’s here for that picture you wanted to take.”

“What picture?” Evelyn asked suspiciously.

“It’s going to be brilliant.” Sylvia reassured. “Wait here.”

She left and Evelyn’s smile faded slightly. “Are my parents here yet?” She asked.

Molly busied herself with wiping dog hair from her dress. “Your brother brought them ten minutes ago. They’re waiting for you in the sitting room.”

Evelyn nodded and looked at her reflection in the mirror, at the perfect make up and ensemble. This was probably the scariest part of the day. “Right.”

Sylvia was positioning Charlie on one side of a support beam in the kitchen. “Stand right...there.”

“Why?” Charlie demanded as she continued to shuffle him from side to side.

“Do you want an amazing wedding album or not?”

“Yes.”

“Then do as I say!” She straightened his robes slightly. “Now. Close your eyes. And don’t you dare peak, Charles.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it.”

“I would. She looks amazing.”

Charlie closed his eyes and listened to the maid of honor leave. Not even five minutes later there was more rustling - much more. Yards worth of fabric worth more. Sylvia directed someone about.

“Can I open my eyes yet?” Charlie demanded.

“No!” Sylvia shouted. “It’s bad luck!”

Evelyn giggled, and Charlie felt like his heart might stop. He felt around the support beam until he found her hand. “Hey.”

“Hi.” Evelyn smiled, looking at the ceiling and letting her bouquet hand loosely at her side. She laced their fingers together. “Are you nervous?”

“No. Are you?”

Sylvia started to move around them and take photos. Side views of them facing away from each other. Close ups of their clasped hands.

“No.” She smiled and closed her own eyes. “I like talking to you like this.”

“Like what?”

“Side by side. It’s kind of like writing you a letter.”

He smiled and remembered the words from their first date. He had only gone over them in his head about fifty million times. Obsessing over the graceful brunette siren that had bewitched him.

“Yes. I like it too. I don’t have to look into your eyes.”

“What’s wrong with my eyes?”

“Nothing’s wrong with them.”

“You don’t like my eyes.”

“I do. And that’s the problem. They’re oceans. And I feel like I’m lost every time I look into them.”

“Alright.” Sylvia said. “Hate to break it up, but we’re on a schedule. Charlie, keep your eyes shut.”

“I’ll see you there.” Evelyn said as Sylvia started to lead the blind groom to the door, where Bill was waiting for him. “At the...you know...altar.”

“You sound nervous.”

“I’m not.”

She might have been slightly lying.

Sylvia entrusted Charlie with Bill and watched them walk halfway across the lawn. Just as she started to turn around, there was a flash of white light and roar of tumbling thunder. The heavens opened up, and Bill and Charlie bolted towards the tent.

“Uh, Evs, what was it that you were saying about the rain?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Cute shit cute shit. The next like six chapters will be all cute shit.