Status: Updated when possible

Don't Think I Can Fight This Anymore

Twenty-eight

Dear Mister Weasley,

We are pleased to confirm your reservation for our eco-resort. You will have a cabana to yourselves, as well as full access to the island and all the tours and activities we offer.

We will see you soon,
Bridget Mayweather


Evelyn ran to the window and just stared in shock. It wasn’t just raining or pouring. It was flooding. Not even a minute into the downpour and there was already mud everywhere. Ginny, Tess and Molly had run into the kitchen and were standing on either side of Evelyn, looking out at the rain. Sylvia saw them and just had to snap another photo. Lightning flashed against their faces again.

“Well.” Tess finally said in a small voice. “They say rain on your wedding day is good luck.”

“Tess?” Evelyn said dryly.

“Yeah?”

“Shut up.” Evelyn took a deep breath. “It doesn’t matter. I’ll be damned if a bit of rain and mud to stop me from getting to Charlie.”

“As lovely as that is, honey,” Molly said, “this is more than a bit of rain.”

Evelyn impatiently rustled her skirts. “Aren’t we on a schedule? Where are my parents?”

Evelyn’s parents hadn’t changed much since the last time she saw them. Her father still stood stiffly, his carefully groomed dark mustache failing to hide the slight terror he felt standing in a wizard’s house. Evelyn was more curvaceous than her dyed-blonde mother, who was acting like she cared but her eyes were like glass. Expressionless.

Daniel sat in an armchair and scowled at his parents.

“Oh, Evelyn.” Karen Finch sighed as Evelyn entered the room. “You look so beautiful. Doesn’t she look beautiful, Tim?”

Colonel Finch’s eyes bulged and a vein throbbed in his temple. But he stayed silent.

“Thanks, Mom.” Evelyn muttered.

“She’s not our mother.” Daniel said from the corner.

Evelyn turned and glared at her brother. Somehow being all dressed up made her even more terrifying.

“Danny, it’s my goddamn wedding.” She hissed. “Can you please behave?”

“I brought you some earrings.” Karen was saying. “For something borrowed. Why don’t you have any blue on?”

“I’m not doing that.” Evelyn said shortly.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Evelyn.”

“I don’t need luck. I love Charlie with everything I am. I don’t need silly superstitions to keep our marriage together.”

Karen sighed and shook her head. “You were always so headstrong. Even as a kid. Stubborn as a mule.”

“Like you’d know anything about our childhood.” Daniel snapped.

“Don’t speak to me that way, Daniel.” Karen snapped. “I’m your mother.”

“Really? I hadn’t noticed.”

Colonel Finch’s eyes were still bulging, like he was holding back a tirade. Daniel’s knuckles were white from being clenched into fists. Evelyn pretended to ignore their audience in the next room over. Ian and Trip had joined the others, pretending to watch the storm.

“Please, stop fighting.” Evelyn begged, pinching the bridge of her nose. “I’m getting married today.”

Karen fixed a smile on her face. “Of course, honey. Let me just look at you once more, then your brother can take me to the tent. Your father’s so excited to walk you down the aisle.”

Colonel Finch did not look excited.

“He’s not walking me down the aisle.” Evelyn said in a small voice.

“Don’t be silly, Evelyn. He’s your father.”

“No.” she said slowly, gathering strength as she spoke. “Ian’s going to walk me. Ian’s been more of a father to me than he ever has been.”

In the next room, Ian took a sharp breath. Molly smiled softly and patted him on the arm.

“Ian was there for me when I left the army. Ian’s been there for me all through my PTSD. Through my trial. The only reason you even write to me, Mom, is because you feel bad. You feel sorry for me, because you think I’m broken.”

Daniel was sitting with his mouth wide open in shock. Evelyn looked so cold and decided. Usually she tried so hard to fix things with her parents. But now Daniel realized, she never would have invited them if she wasn’t sure she could face them. It was stupid of him to think otherwise. Charlie was right. It was her decision, leave her alone.

“And Tim here looks like he’s about to bust a vein trying not to yell at me. So no, he’s not going to walk me down the aisle.”

“Then why did you invite us?” Tim finally snapped. “To flaunt your demonic ways? Show off your new family like the traitor you are?”

Daniel jumped up and raised his wand, but Evelyn stood squarely between him and their father. She shot a look of warning over her shoulder.

“I invited you because it was the right thing to do.” Evelyn said cooly. “But you’re stupid if you think that at the end of everything, I’d give you a place of honor at the happiest day of my life.”

She grabbed her younger brother and dragged him into the kitchen, looking around at all the shocked faces.

“What the hell are you all staring at?” She snapped. “I’ve got a wedding to get to.”

The room was suddenly a flurry of activity as everyone started to sort out how they’d get across the garden to the tent in the pouring rain. Large umbrellas were conjured and Sylvia helped Evelyn gather all of her skirts up in her arms. Trip set out first with Molly and Tess, followed by Sylvia, Daniel and Ginny. Ian and Evelyn headed out last, slowly and trying not to splash mud on the bride.

“Hey, Sarge.” Evelyn finally said. “I never asked you. With Lestrange...what do you think his plan was for you?”

Ian sighed. “I think he was doing it the whole time. Watching each of you suffer...was worse than any death he could have chosen for me.”

Evelyn looked at him with sad eyes. “Sarge - “

“Come on.” He said gruffly. “Charlie’s waiting for you.”

They heard a car horn honk, and they turned to see Evelyn’s parents get into a cab down at the gate. They looked very wet and very unhappy. Evelyn could hear her mother’s shrill voice even from here.

“Are you sure about this?” Ian asked.

Evelyn nodded stiffly. “He made this choice the day he kicked me out of the house. Besides, Daniel’s right. They’ve never been much of parents in the first place.” She took a deep breath and looked back to the tent. “Come on. I’d like to have the time to clean the mud off my shoes.”

Charlie was facing away from the house, and watching the rain. “This is supposed to be good luck, right?” He asked, uncertain.

Bill shrugged. “I’m just happy the protection charms are holding and we’re not getting soaked by the wind.”

“That’s what the no-mag’s say.” Nate said from Bill’s other side. “Rain on your wedding day. It’s good luck. So, y’all got buckets of it.”

Daniel was jogging down the aisle, using his wand to dry the bottom of his robes as he went. The guests muttered and watched him. He flashed a brief grin at Charlie and lined up at the end of the line of groomsmen. “Brief domestic dispute. But she’s on her way. Forgot to tell her how lovely she looks.”

Trip was moving into a seat next to his wife. The front row of Evelyn’s side was only half filled with the 445th and their families. A few rows back, Luna Lovegood-Thomas decked out completely in yellow sat next to Evelyn’s old dueling coach, who eyed her wearily. Jackie, Evelyn’s old Chef, had taken over photography duties for the ceremony and was floating around the sides of the aisles, snapping photos of guests. Arthur walked Molly to their seats at the front, and she smiled at her second eldest.

Music started to play, and Ginny came around the tent partition, smiling widely as she walked. She had such a spring in her step, something so cat-like that she seemed to pounce and roll down the aisle.

Then came Tess. She walked like a model. All confidence and swaying hips. Like she was still some young hotshot investigator who had never seen a war and then some. The roses on her arm stood out against her pale skin, but they were just a part of her story.

Sylvia floated, like she was ice skating. She smiled happily at her husband, then snapped her eyes forward, trying to be careful not to trip and fall. She nervously fumbled with the tissues she had stuffed in the bottom of her bouquet for safe keeping.

Most people chuckled at what came next. Sherlock in his pearl collar, walked with his tail wagging. On one side walked baby Fred, holding the dog’s fur tightly for support, who did not take his eyes off the rings he was holding as he went. On the other side was Tess’ first daughter Tracy, Evelyn’s god daughter. She tossed stemless wisteria flowers everywhere she could think of.

When they reached the end of the aisle, Tess and Sylvia moved forward to scoop up their respective children. Fred struggled for a moment and Sylvia let him run to his father instead. Sherlock sat down squarely in front of the officiary, and would not move.

The music changed, and everyone stood.

The bridesmaids had been stunning, but they were nothing compares to the bride herself. It was hard to say what it was - her dress was so simple, the only decoration she had were her tattoos and the pearls in her hair. She walked so sure and comfortable, knowing this was exactly where she had to be. She was so relaxed, smiling without even knowing it. The dangerous monster that some knew was there slept deep beneath the surface.

Charlie barely registered Ian beside her until he was shaking the old army Captain’s hand and Evelyn was being handed off to him. Evelyn squeezed his hand tightly and turned to pay attention to the officiary.

Arthur glanced across the aisle at where Ian was sitting next to Trip. “Where are Evelyn’s parents?” He whispered to Molly.

“They left.” She said simply, looking incredibly happy about that.

“I do love weddings.” Luna smiled, tightly clasping Dean’s hand. “Don’t they look so happy? And look, they left seats open for their friends.”

“Who?” Dean asked.

“Evelyn’s old army mates. Frank Jones, Kevin Hayes, and Quinn Tracy.”

“What is with young people and tattoos these days?” Molly’s Aunt Muriel grumbled. “It’s so - “

But no one found out what Muriel thought of tattoos, because Tess had turned around and fixed the old wheelchair bound witch with a glare that only a member of Her Majesty’s Royal Canadian Army could muster. When the officiary said, “Let us pray,” good number of Weasleys started to pray for the old bat to finally kick it, preferably tomorrow.

“And now, the couple has written their own vows.”

Evelyn turned and handed her bouquet off to Sylvia, then put her hand in Charlie’s.

“Rings.” The officiary whispered.

Charlie looked around. “Where’s Fred?”

George slid Fred off his lap. “Go give Uncle Charlie the rings.” He whispered.

“No!”

A giggle rippled through the guests and Sylvia looked mortified. “Frederick Augustus Weasley, give your uncle the rings!” She hissed.

“No!”

Evelyn started to crack up. Charlie glanced at her and she tried to smother her giggles. “Don’t you find it funny?” She whispered.

George rolled his eyes and whispered promises to his son, bargaining. Finally, grumpily, Fred handed his uncle the rings. Furious at his parents, Fred plopped on the ground and buried his face in Sherlock’s fur. Evelyn finally succeeded in smothering her giggles and looked up at Charlie.

Charlie looked into the twin oceans, feeling like he could finally see the beautiful reefs of joy and sorrow beneath.

“You will never fight alone again.” He promised, sliding the gold band onto her finger. There was a flash of gold light and the vow wrote itself on the ring.

Daniel closed his eyes tightly against the tears. Charlie really was everything his sister deserved. Trip blew his nose in a handkerchief but kept his head down. Sarah smiled and rubbed his shoulders.

Evelyn smiled and looked up into Charlie’s piercing blue eyes. She could not lie to him. After the first one, she’d never lie to him again.

“I will always run to you.” She said, slipping the matching gold band on his finger. Another flash of light and the vow appeared on the ring.

Sylvia was trying to discreetly wipe away tears. Molly was full out sobbing, just as she had done at her five other children’s weddings. But being the last one, it was somehow harder.

“Does anyone have any arguments as to why this couple should not be married?”

The tent was silent, except for the rain.

It wasn’t quite over yet, the officiary was still talking. But Evelyn’s smile was growing impossibly wider by the second. This day wouldn’t start her life over. It wouldn’t take away her past, or her awful parents, or her scars, or the rose tattoos of her dead friends. It would, however, start her new life.

“Mister Weasley, you may kiss the bride.”

Charlie pulled her close and firmly pressed his lips against her smiling colored ones, holding her waist and never wanting to let go. Their family and friends cheered as Evelyn draped her arms around his shoulder and melted. Charlie pulled away and moved her wrist to his mouth, pressing the softest kiss to her veins. She just laughed at him, disbelieving the sight of the new ring on her finger.

The tent was rearranged to accommodate a dance floor and tables, and Evelyn glowed as Sylvia hugged her tightly, before even Molly could reach them.

“I’m so proud of you!” She exclaimed, nearly hitting Charlie in the face with the large wisteria bouquets clutched in her hands.

Sherlock nudged Fred towards his mother and barked at his mistress. Evelyn laughed and scratched behind his ears before she was pulled into her new mother-in-law’s arms.

~*~

Hours and kilometers later, Charlie woke up to the sound of waves crashing on the shore. He stared at the ceiling.

That’s right. He was in Belize.

He closed his eyes and tried to remember the wedding ceremony, the reception. They had taken a portkey from the wedding to a jetty on the Belizean mainland, where they pretended to have been dropped off by the bus. Two guys in a motorboat showed up and took them to the island, pointing out other islands on the way. Exhausted, Evelyn barely had the energy to eat before she curled up into Charlie’s chest and passed out.

But now, she wasn’t there.

Charlie sat up and looked around the simple cabana, not seeing his wife anywhere. He realized he knew exactly where she was. He slid on his sandals and walked outside, wandlight aloft.

The island was picturesque - palm tree lined pathways, a small bar on the pier, little huts for dorms, a dining hall, a lab and a teaching classroom. To the south of the island were coral reefs, something Evelyn was more than excited to explore. The Atlantic bashed against one side while the calmer waters lay on the side of the islands facing the mainland. The northern half of the island was taken up by an actual resort.

Charlie was walking along the shore of the actual resort when he finally found Evelyn. She stared out at the grey, choppy Atlantic, looking ethereal in the moonlight. She paced and kicked at the waves, looking between the sand and the east.

Charlie quietly walked up behind her as she paused. “You should be careful.” He said. “There might be something nasty out.”

“Didn’t you see the guidebook? I’m the most dangerous thing here.”

She smiled as he snaked his arms around her waist. “Can’t sleep?”

“No.” Her gaze didn’t break from the distant foreign shores. “It’s like Daniel told you. I just like coming out here at night, walking in the waves and being a lunatic. I don’t know why. I’ve just always felt this pull towards it.”

“The ocean?”

“Yes.” She sighed. “But not just the ocean. I’ve been to California, and I don’t really have the same pull to look at that horizon. I don’t have this pull to the other side of this island. For some reason, it’s just me and England. When I was a kid, I just couldn’t stop. I wonder now if I was looking towards my future.”

“What do you mean?”

“Was I looking towards the war? Or you? Did I always know I’d end up like this?”

It was so strange to hear her talking like this. But she wasn’t panicked or upset. Just calm, collected, sorting through her thoughts.

“And now, on the other side of time, I look at the past.”

He pressed a kiss into her crook of her neck. “Useless, that is. You already know what’s there.”

She smiled. “I suppose that’s true.”

“Come back to bed. Lots of future discovering to do tomorrow.”

“In a minute. I don’t think the past is quite done with me yet.”

They stood outside on the shore together for another hour, Evelyn’s flat gaze occasionally turning into a glare. Evelyn and England standing off.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote Chapter 30, the final chapter today. So, almost there.