Breathe Into Me

I Can't Wake Up

Sitting through fourth period geography is always a struggle. I tap my foot or my pencil incessantly, ready for the bell to ring so I can be reunited with Jack. Not to be the gross, obsessed high school couple that acts like we don’t spend almost every day together, but to know that Jack made it through his fourth period gym class safely. Our relationship is built on rescuing each other from bullies and it kills me knowing that he is in gym class with a whole crew of the big football players who hate him and I’m only a few dozen yards away, but completely unable to do anything.

Today my worst nightmare comes true. I receive a note in the middle of class from one of my classmates who’s just returned from the bathroom. It says, “Help me –Jack”. I ask to be excused and hurry down the hallway to the restroom near the gym. I hear sniffling from the last stall.

“Jack,” I whisper. I hear the door unlock. I push it open to see Jack completely soaked from the waist up. He has a bruise forming over his left eye and blood slowly trickling from his nose. My heart shatters. I lock us into the stall and hug him.

“Who did this to you?” I whimper, holding back tears.

“Robbie,” Jack weeps quietly. He clutches my shoulders tight and cries, “Alex, I’m so glad you’re here”.