The Preacher's Daughter

Bad

Image

We spent the day simply lazing around in the sun gossiping about everything and anything as normal 17-year-old girls do. It wasn’t anything special of a day it was just nice and relaxing before I had to head home to get ready for tonight’s teenagers youth group.
The youth group was open to any teenager in the area 14 to 19 yeas of age, and was pretty much a chance to come together express concerns and talk freely with others in our age group. Thankfully this wasn’t run by my farther but by his apprentice as I like to call him Jake was 24 and in training to become a pastor, he was a good guy and let us be open but reminded us that god was with us and that he saw all.

I wasn’t made to go to the teenagers group but I was made to set up and close down for the night, what I did in-between was really up to me.
After going home and having a quick shower getting to go again I took mum’s car keys not having my own car yet was starting to get on my nerves but I was working on it.

I got to the church about a half hour early and got all the chairs out and set up some candles to light the place up a bit, I thought the church was dark at night even with the lights on it seemed a little lifeless and I always liked candles anyway, any excuse I guess.
Jake helped me get ready before the crowd started to wander in, Jasmine didn’t show up but Ally did so I decided to stay and hang out with the 20 or so teenagers that showed up. The group for this evening was always different but it was usually a good turn out.

It was a pretty open session voicing concerns and questions about general teenager life before going through a few passages of the bible and taking some time to pray on our own.

By the time it was over I was exhausted I had hung around talking to a few of the people I went to school with before they all left including Jake who left me to lock up.

Heading back inside to blow out the last of my candles and lock up for the night I didn’t expect to find a boy standing in the middle of the isle right in front of the lectern, looking up at the roof and almost yelling.

And I really didn’t expect that boy to be Alexander James.

Dressed in ripped up black jeans and a black leather jacket without even knowing him you knew he was out of place in a church and you knew he was the town bad boy.
Alexander was from the other side of the train tracks and although we went to school together and were in a few of the same classes we had never really spoken. All I knew about him were the rumors and boy there were a lot of them. Everything from Jail to selling drugs to getting girls pregnant, the list was never ending. I didn’t know what was true or not, all I knew was that he was bad news and I was better off staying away from him. With that being said he was in the church my father’s church I had to do something.

“What the fuck am I supposed to do?” he yelled looking towards the roof and pulling at his hair in frustration “what do you want from me, how am I supposed to fix this!” he yelled again “Fucking hell” he stormed turning around and realizing I was standing there for the first time, he stood frozen.

I took that as my queue to approach him, slowly and calm like I was approaching a rabid dog, until I was directly in front of him, that was also the first time I realized how much taller he was then me. I mean at 5’3 that wasn’t hard but it made him seem so much more intimidating.

“You probably shouldn’t swear at him for starters.” I told him quietly

“Then how do I do this? I don’t even know…” he trailed off, slumping his shoulders and running his hands over his face.

Being bold and taking both his hands in mine he snapped to attention and I was so scared id done the wrong thing, but there was no going back now. His hands were rough and large in my small ones with dirt caked under the nails.

“He’s listening to you, close your eyes don’t focus on me just talk to him, just openly tell him what you need or what you’ve done.” He quirked an accusing eyebrow at me and I looked down quickly embarrassed that I assumed he had done something wrong.

But I felt him squeeze my hands softly making me look up at him to realise he had closed his eyes and was actually listening to me. It couldn’t have been more then a minute later that he opened his eyes and let go of my hands nodding once at me before heading straight for the exit.

What on earth had just happened in all my 17 years of life I don’t think I had ever seen Alexander James enter this church, and to find him screaming for God to listen. I had never been curious about what anyone prayed for ever…until now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know your thought!