Kugeki Part One

Kugeki Part One

I can see them in the distance. Flying towards their next victim. You almost feel sorry for them because they have no choice but to do what they do. However, I can’t afford to pause and reflect on their existence, nor can I show them any pity. After all… it’s me they should be afraid of.

It’s time…

I leap off the roof of single storey houses I am standing on and land on top the building in front. I jump from building to building, chasing down them down. I can feel the atmosphere around me getting heavier the closer I get to them. I feel my throat tightening and my eyes burning slightly from their aura.

These bastards are stronger than I thought.

I feel my heart pound like it were a wild animal trying to escape from a cage. A dark purple mist starts to form around me; I look down at the palm of my right hand. In the centre of my palm are six dots forming half a circle. They remain there to remind you of what you do . Whenever it is pulsing and growing red; it is a sign that they are close. My right hand is shaking uncontrollably… I use my spare hand to restrain it.

There they are!

I watch as they lurk around a house. Looking through the windows for their prey. I spring off from a roof of the neighbouring house and onto the footpath, quickly ducking behind the fence. I poke my head over the fence to see where they are. There are two of them searching for their prey. These things are called Kugeki. They are skeletons with a dark shadow engulfing their bodies; their faces are wrapped up in bandages only revealing one eye.

Their eyes are…grey
They haven’t feasted in a while…they’re weak.
This is my chance.

I notice one of the Kugeki use it’s nail to wiggle the lock in the window open. It lets out an ear-piercing screech. My eyes immediately dart over to the other one; it rushes into the house also. I have to act quickly. I know this means they’ve found their target. I leap over the fence and shoot towards the windowMy right hand is still pinned against my body. I can feel it thumping into my stomach. My nails dig deep into the skin of my right hand and my teeth clench together.

It’s time to engage in battle…

I release my right hand and throw it out to the side. A black beam shoots out from my hand and takes form of a scythe. I wrap my fingers firmly around its handle. I dash towards the window and look inside to see what the Kugekis are doing.

“Wha…wha…what are you things?!” I hear what sounds like a males voice from inside the room. It sounds like it is coming from the upper left hand corner of the room. It was too dark for me to see anything. Kugekis tend to stick to the shadows as a way of protecting themselves from hunters like me. Only the victim can see them at this point. This is usually why they only come out at night. If I don’t locate them soon though…this person is in for a world of problems. I look towards to the sky and see a cloud just about pass the moon.

I can use this to my advantage!

The person inside the room was crying out loud and the Kugeki were groaning. They were about to begin their feast. Just need a few more seconds! I have my scythe ready to smash through the window. Just need the moon to shine through into the room. My eyes are fixated on the room; making sure when the time comes, I can be ready to dash in and save this person. Spilt second later, the moon finally beams its light through the room and bulldoze my way through the window with my scythe.

“I’VE GOT YOU, YOU BASTARDS!” I declare loudly.

The Kugeki immediately turn around and roar into my face. I slash through one and bounce off the wall, charging in to get the other one. I quickly catch a glimpse of the victim. It appears to be a young male. I flash a quick smirk at him; hoping that will give him some reassurance that I am here to save him. I turn my attention back to the Kugeki. The one I sliced through before is starting to return to its feet. As I fly towards the second one, I prepare my scythe by pumping more energy into it through the dots in my hand. It lights up red as flames start to burn off it. In one swift move, I cut through one of the Kugeki. It lets out a bellowing cry before exploding into ashes. I land on my feet and face towards the other one. I watch as it gets back on its feet. I can feel its one eye staring deep into my soul.

“See what I just did to your buddy? That’s what’s going to happen to you next,” I tell it with zero fear. I touch the tip of scythe on the remains of the deceased Kugeki. I absorb the ashes through my scythe. I feel it rush through to my hand like a drug powering through my system. I glance down at my right hand and watch as a new dot burns into my skin.

“Miss…what is that thing?!” The young male chokes on his words.

“That, my friend, is a Kugeki.”

“What does it want from me?!”

“It wants to transform you into one of them.”

“WHAT? WHY?”

“I don’t know…you tell me, stranger. Have you been experiencing high levels of depression or fear lately?” I ask, watching carefully as the Kugeki regains its energy.

“I don’t want to talk about it…” he says softly.

“Well…you don’t have to tell me about it. However, that’s why it is after you. Because these creatures feed off of misery; they were once human like you.”

“They were?”

“That’s right. This is what happens when you allow misery to consume your being. You attract the attention of these things and they suck life out of you. Leaving you as an empty murdering skeleton of who you once were.”

The Kugeki extends out its arm and points its index finger at me. I push my eyebrows together and stand my ground.

“What is it pointing at?” The male asks. I could hear his teeth tapping around.

“Probably you.”

I hear him back further into the corner. I know that the Kugeki is growing impatient. Its grey eye shakes as it stares at me. Blood is slowly forming in the whites of the eye.

“It’s getting angry.” I told the male.

“Then do some…” Before he could even finish the sentence I was already shooting towards it. The Kugeki’s nails grew into long razor sharp claws. I slash my scythe at it but it’s quick to defend itself. Using its long nails to act as a shield. It shoves me off it and attempts to pierce me. I make sure to counteract.

“It’s time to end this once and for all!” I declare to the Kugeki and the guy. I throw my scythe in the air. It evaporates and the spirit of the scythe returns to my hand. I open my palm and face towards to the Kugeki.

“Now…I’m warning you. This is going to hurt a lot.” I grin. “Once all seven dots light up. That’s when you’re in for a lot of trouble. So, you can either run or accept your fate.” I slowly walk towards it. It screeches at me. The blood continues building up in its eye. Its cries echo around the room as it feverishly squirms , rooted to a spot on the floor.

“Why isn’t it moving?” the guy asks.

“Because it can’t. While it was distracted by me throwing my scythe in the air, I used shadow magic to trap it in its spot.”

“So, why did you give it an option to escape, if it can’t?”

“It’s what I always say to them before I kill them.” I grin once again. All seven dots light up and a flame engulfs my hand. With one mighty push, I leap off my feet and puncture a hole straight through its abdomen. I kept my hand there as I suck the life out of it. Surprisingly, it is silent and doesn’t resist.

“May you now rest in peace,” I whisper to it. I feel a tear drop onto my arm and in a blink of an eye, the Kugeki’s remains are sucked into my hand. I drop to my knees and rest my hands on the floor. My hand returns to normal with another dot to add to the collection.

“Easy pee-zee!” I smile as I gasp for air.

“Is it over?” the guy asks from behind me.
“For now,” I reply.

I finally catch my breath and get off the ground. I walk over to the guy and offer him a hand up. His light brown eyes look up at me. I can see that he had been crying and I certainly don’t blame him. Kugekis are evil and scary things. “Don’t worry…I won’t hurt you!” I smile at him. He extends his hand out and accepts my offer of help. He is a little shaky at first but eventually he finds his balance.

“Thank you.” He smiles.

That is the first thing I notice about him…his crooked yet gorgeous smile. It’s the kind of smile that gives you warm, fuzzy feelings. Instantly I feel another smile spreading across my face. I take the time to observe the other things about him; such as his flawless fair skin. His light brown (though slightly orange) hair has clean fuzzed sides with a mid length wave drooping down across the left. He has an average build and wide rim glasses to protect those gleaming brown eyes of his.

“Are you alright?” I ask him as I dust off my sleeves.

“I am now. Will more come after me?” He stumbles over to his bed and collapses onto it face first.

“Unless you work through whatever emotional turmoil you’re going through, then I am afraid they will keep on returning.” I confirm his worst fear. He flops over onto his back and stares at the roof. I can’t tell whether he is tired or emotionless, as his face gives away no clues.

“Well…I think that’s my queue to go. Sorry about your window by the way.” I scratch my head nervously. “Usually people are attacked by the Kugeki on the streets.” I glance over at him to see that he has fallen asleep. I quietly walk over to him and shovel his legs onto the bed and pull the blanket over him. Using my shoe, I brush all the shattered glass underneath his bed, to make sure he doesn’t have a rude awakening in the morning. I look over at the digital clock on his desk.

4:03AM

“Goodnight dude. Hope you feel better soon.” I give him the thumbs up even though he is fast asleep. I jump out the window and start the long journey back home to retire for the night.

#

I wake up later that day at around 2pm. I can hear cicadas buzzing in the background and the sun radiating through the window softly burns my skin. I lift my right hand up to the ceiling and have a look at the dots.

Eight dots…

I drop my arm and let it flop over the side of my bed. I let out a sigh before getting up. I stumble towards the bathroom and begin to remove my clothes. I was still in my black ripped jeans and navy long sleeve shirt. When I arrived home last night, I didn’t so much to think to change my clothes. I just went straight bed; I was exhausted after battling two Kugekis. I turn the shower on and rest my head against the wall. Allowing the water to flow through my dirty brown hair. My thoughts return to last night.

How unusual for two Kugekis to go after the one victim…

Usually these things don’t like to share their victims. Typical case of first in best dressed and if there were two trying to hunt the same victim; they would fight each other first. However, in this case…they were perfectly willing to share. I strain my mind to think of a reason why they would do such a thing.

THUD, THUD, THUD

“Is someone at the door?” I call out.

“SKY! It’s me, Lily!” I hear my best friend yell from the front door. I quickly scrub my skin with soap and rinse off before turning off the shower. I hobble to the front door meanwhile Lily is still banging on the door.

“Hold on! I need to put some clothes on!”

I hop into some PJ shorts and place a bra on before letting Lily in. She takes a look at me and says,“Did you just wake up?”

“How could you tell?” I ask, using my fingers comb my hair.

“You kinda look like crap.” She laughs.

“Gee thanks.”

I lead the way to the living room. I clear off some books from the couch so Lily can sit down. She makes herself at home by plonking onto the couch and resting her feet on the coffee table (also cluttered with books).

“Do you actually read these books or do you just have them here for decoration?” Lily asks as I walk over to the kitchen.

“A bit of both. Do you want anything to drink?” I put the jug on to boil, about to make a big cup of coffee for myself.

“Nah, I’m ok. Thanks!”

“Suit yourself.” I shrug.

I search through the cupboards for a mug, only to realise that I had none that were clean. So I examine the mugs in the sink to see which is the cleanest.

“Were you out late last night?” Lily shouts out to me. I can hear her flipping through a book.

“Yeah. Killed two Kugekis.” I answer as I scoop up some sugar and put it into my mug. Mix in the coffee and then pour the hot water in. Carefully hold the mug as I make my way to the couch to join Lily.

“How many is that now?” She shoves some books off the couch to make room for me.

“Eight.”

“Yikes. You’re deadly close to the end.” Lily curls her ruby red lip in slightly. I take one big gulp of my black coffee before placing it down on a stack of books. I look at her emerald green eyes and summon a small smile.

Lily continues to talk. “You really should be careful and only save it for those who are in dire need of help. You can’t save everyone, Sky.”

“I know but there was something weird about last night’s case,” I tell her, trying to justify my actions whilst also hoping I can pick Lily’s brains.

“Weird how?”

“There were two Kugekis happy enough to share the same victim.” I watch as Lily’s eyebrows perk up, obviously intrigued.

She places her hand on her chin as if it was helping her think. “Do you know why they would do that?”

“I have never experienced it myself but I have read about it in books,” she says.

I take another big mouthful of coffee and place the mug back where it was.

She continues, “As you already know, the Kugekis have a ranking system amongst their hoards.”

I nod my head to confirm that I am with her so far.

“Well, when the time is right, the Kugekis will actively seek out a new leader to replace their current one. Kugekis age like normal human beings; however the Kugekis tend to have a longer life expectancy. A leader can live anywhere from a hundred to a thousand years. Give or take on how strong it is.”

“So, you think that those two from last night had found their new leader?” I interrupt her briefly.

“That’s right.”

“I still don’t understand why there were two?” I take the last mouthful of my coffee. While I return the mug to the sink to wash it out, Lily clears up my confusion:

“You see… the Kugekis don’t just select any old human to become their new leader. The new leader must possess a strong negative energy in order to keep the crown of the leader of the Kugeki. After all, they must protect their race from people like you and I when push comes to shove.”

“An ordinary Kugeki alone isn’t strong enough to suck the life out of the next leader. It requires two or more stronger Kugekis to carry out the task.” Lily gets up from the couch and joins me in the kitchen. She leans against the counter, watching me scrub the inside of the mug. “I would want to keep an eye on that guy. Because the Kugekis will keep coming after him until they get what they want.”

“What happens if they don’t replace their leader?” I ask.

“I don’t know.”

I turn the tap off and face her with a big grin on my face.

“Looks like I need to pay this guy a visit then!” I give her the thumbs up and head towards my room to grab my keys.

“I said to keep an eye on him not to go and speak to him!” Lily scolds me from the kitchen. I put on a singlet that had a skull and cross bones on it and replace the PJ shorts with the same jeans from last night.

“Why not?” I question her obvious attempt to stop me.

“You know that’s not our job. We’re only meant to exterminate the Kugekis and tell the victim while these things are after them. We’re not meant to council them.” Lily struts into my room.
“Look Lily.” I pause from searching for my boots and turn to her, “This guy must be going through so really hard core emotions to have been chosen as the next Kugeki leader. As a human being, I want to help him. You understand what I mean, right?” I place my hands on her shoulders and sheepishly smile.

“Sky…we’re not normal human beings though. We operate on a different set of laws to a normal human and one of them is to not engage in a personal relationship with those who are hunted by the Kugekis.” She reiterates her point once more with a slightly aggressive tone.

“Report me to the ministry, if you want. It’s not going to stop me from doing this.” I pick up my boots from underneath some clothes and sit down on my bed to place them on my feet. Lily sighs and places one hand behind her head. She smiles at me in a way that says, “You’re crazy but I love you.”

“I won’t report you but promise me you’ll be careful? I don’t want to lose another friend to The End.” She pats my shoulder.

“I’ll try my best!” I give her another thumbs up and a smug smile. We walk out of the apartment together. I lock the door behind us and say my goodbyes before running towards the guy’s house.

Don’t worry, dude…I’m gonna help you out!
♠ ♠ ♠
Will write something here later