Infamous: Raising Hell

Wake Up.

It started like a bad dream.

It started like a nightmare, and I kept waiting to just... Wake up.

I knew - my whole life, who I was. I knew my future, I knew my favorite color, IQ, all of it. I knew myself, inside out.

Tragic as it sounds, I really didn't... Who'd have known there was something dark and sinister hiding inside of me? Waiting for the right moment to spring?

Certainly not me.

~~~


I blinked seven times, and tried to breathe, but my chest just burned. I wanted to cough on the thick, black smoke, that burned up from the ground around me, lifting towards the hazy sky. I was numb, I was paralyzed.

I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe. I just lied there, frozen in agony.

This is really the end, isn't it? I couldn't help but wondering. I'd read and watched depictions of death, some of them were brutally painful, others, were as easy as sleeping... This, this was a whole nother thing.

It felt like I was dying. I could feel the very life slipping from me, rising from my chest, and disappearing. My skin temperature was lowering, despite the flames flickering around me, lashing at my skin. I felt death inside of me, working it's way outwards like a terrible plague.

Despite the darkness slowly moving in my bloodstream, numbing my limbs, and preparing to stop my heart, I could feel it. Just a small, simple flicker, but I was almost certain it was there... The flicker of life, energy and andrenaline in my veins, racing to my heart like a surge of electricity.

Please... Lord, let me just die.

I couldn't raise my hand, or twitch my fingers, I couldn't lift my head to even see if I had fingers anymore. I could blink, but I could not breathe. The burn in my chest was unbareable, and getting worse by the ticking seconds. It felt like I had a balloon in my chest, being blown up, larger and larger, until I was desperate to let out the gust of air, but not a drop would slip between my cracked lips.

A surge of electricty moved through my hand, up my arm into my shoulder. I mentally winced in pain as it shocked my spine. I blinked again, looking up at the red sky, darkened with black clouds, like Satan himself was rolling in on a firey red chariot of death.

Maybe this was it, this was hell. And this, was my punishment for whatever sins I'd committed in my life.

All at once, I was able to inhale a sharp breath, and it felt like my lungs had just exploded. A hiss of pain came from my mouth, and I twitched back, curling against the ground in a desperate attempt to escape the burn. It extended from my chest, and flared across my skin like a rash, consuming my body in the worst pain I could possibly imagine...

"AGGGGGHHHHH!" I shrieked, and the sound was sharp, angry and metallic. My eyes were wide, and I wondered in fear, how much longer God would drag this out. If I was still dying, would he just leave me to smolder? Or have mercy on my soul and take me out with a strike of lightning?

My limbs unfroze, and on their own, they stretched out across the ground, gripping at stones, anything they could, trying to pull me away, trying to escape the burn. I clutched at the broken asphalt under me, my broken nails grasping onto a stupid hope.

I squeezed my eyes shut, and another involuntary scream ripped from my chest, resulting in another lash of flames across my skin. I opened my eyes, sweat dripped down my forehead and burned my vision.

I saw a tall black pillar standing over me, I blinked twice and it had moved forward, a dark, charcoal stained face looked back at me with heavy sympathy.

"Please..." I wheezed, the sound was broken, like rocks tumbling down a hill. "Kill me. It burns. Kill me."

I lifted my hand the tiniest bit, and the burn lashed up my arm. I reached for him, I reached for the man, and my heavy lids slipped closed.