The Assassin's Folly

Chapter Eleven

-The following is rated R-

Zarah could feel the nervousness coming off of him in waves. She sat in the passenger seat with her legs crossed, dreading wearing the boots. They were squeezing her feet in the only way women’s fashionable footwear did.

When they got to his house, he rushed to open the car door for her. She had thought a lot about what Dimitri had said to her and realized he was right. Yes, she was in love with him. She didn’t even want to consider killing him until, as the cat had said, she knew she wouldn’t have any regrets.

It took her a long time to get ready for dinner that evening. She wanted to look nice not to con him into being attracted to her like before. She wanted to look nice because she embraced the truth and sincerely wondered if he loved her, too.

Hailey had come over, unknown to Jareth, to help her find the right dress and put the gold in her hair.

“Trust me,” Hailey had said when Zarah admitted her misgivings about the strapless dress without a necklace, “he’ll like it.”

“Are you sure it doesn’t make me look like a whore?” she asked, looking nervously in the mirror and Hailey laughed.

“My brother wouldn’t be with you if he thought you were a whore.” Zarah smiled thankfully at her. “I wanted to tell you something by the way.” Zarah turned to look at her. “Jareth mentioned that you’re, if you’ll forgive me for saying so, well off.” She gestured around her apartment. “And now I know he’s right. Thank you for not being with him because of the money.”

Hailey hugged her and she tried not to cry.

No, I just started seeing him for his life, she thought grimly.

It was still snowing when they got to his house and he fumbled with his keys. He opened the door and stepped to the side so she could walk in. He closed it quickly so the cold would stay out and took her coat for her.

“I’ll just put these in the coat closet,” he said with a smile. “Feel free to make yourself at home.”

She smiled back and wrung her hands as she stepped into the kitchen. Now that she was seeing it with lights on, she noticed how – just like everything about him – it was modest. A simple marble counter top, a silver fridge, a pantry to the left, rose petals on white linoleum….

Rose petals?

Zarah stopped walking and looked at them curiously. She followed the trail. It went up the stairs and into his bedroom where another bouquet was laying on the bed. She picked them up and inhaled their sweet perfume. She had been honest with him, roses were her favorite. They always had been.

“I hope it’s not too much,” he said, surprising her.

She jumped a little and turned around. She smiled, swallowing her tears.

“They’re beautiful.”

He looked nervous again. “I got you something,” he said and walked over to his bedside table.

She set the flowers down on the other table. “You didn’t have to get me anything at all.”

He pulled out two boxes and stood beside her. “I- I wanted you to know that you’re important to me,” he muttered, going red in the face.

He handed her a long, thin box and she opened it. Inside was a golden necklace with a quill charm. She grinned.

“Thank you,” she said, smiling up at him.

“You like it?” he breathed and she nodded, kissing his cheek. “I also got you this.”

He handed her the second box which was bigger and heavier. She set the necklace on the table and opened it. Inside was a leather bound journal and a feather quill. The leather was dark red. She opened it with a shaking hand. The paper was slightly distressed and he had written a note in it.

For a very special woman. With love.

“I didn’t know your favorite color,” he muttered. “I forgot to ask and-”

Zarah put the box on the table and threw her arms around his neck, kissing him on the lips. He stumbled and kissed her back. He put his hands on her hips and pulled her close. Their tongues seemed to fight as her breath quickened. She went to move but tripped on her boots, breaking out of the kiss.

She laughed, embarrassed. “I hate these boots,” she breathed and he laughed, his hands still on her hips.

“Then why did you wear them?”

She looked down shyly. “I wanted to look nice for tonight. But they’re killing my feet.”

“How about I help you with that?” he said in a low voice.

He knelt down and unzipped her boots. She was finding it hard to breathe as he slipped them off, his hands lingering on her thighs has he stood back up.

“After all, you helped me with mine,” he whispered and kissed her lightly.

“My dress is a little tight, too,” she whispered.

“I think I can manage that,” he said into her ear.

Keeping one hand on her hip, he slowly unzipped the dress. It refused to go all the way down so he ran his hands over her bottom until it dropped. He kept his hands there, kissing her neck as he did so. Her body was hotter than it had been in a long time as she moaned and pulled his shirt over his head. He pressed her against the wall, pushing her underwear off.

She unbuckled his belt and he kicked his shoes off. He lifted her and she wrapped her legs around his waist. He sucked on her collar bone and slid his tongue down to her breast.

“Oh my God,” she breathed, unwrapping her legs.

Suddenly, he stopped her from taking his boxers off. He was panting but also looked scared. That’s when it clicked.

“Jareth,” she whispered, looking into his eyes, “is this your first time?” He nodded, looking ashamed. “Don’t look like that,” she said and moved his hands away.

“What if I don’t do it right?” he muttered and she slipped his underwear off.

She pulled him to the bed and lay down. He looked at her naked body and swallowed thickly. She grabbed his hand and he climbed onto her. She put his hand on her breast.

“Not possible,” she said and slowly spread her legs.

Still looking scared, Jareth took a deep breath. She closed her eyes as he gripped her breast.

“Please,” she whispered, her body shaking. “I need you.”

As if he was waiting for her to say that, he slid into her. He gasped and she bucked her hips to meet his. He pulled back out and went in a little deeper. His breath was hot on her body as he slid his hands up and down her sides. He was moving slowly; too slow.

She grabbed his hips, guiding him.

“Zarah,” he moaned into her neck and she felt her fangs growing.

Not now, she thought as he went faster. Please not now.

They stopped, much to her surprise. He was thrusting harder and she couldn’t help but cry out in pleasure. He bit her neck gently and she leaned back as far as she could, pressing her chest to his. She hooked a leg around him and flipped him over. She put her hands on his chest and threw her hair over her shoulder.

His quiet moans had gotten louder as he gripped her hips. She went faster, going down as deep as she could.

Her fangs started to grow again. Her eyes shot open. Everything was red as she reached her climax.

But he wasn’t done. He flipped her back over and went as deep and fast as possible. She dug her nails into his back, something that seemed to turn him on even more. She sucked on his neck, imagining the taste of his blood on her tongue.

Her fangs were all the way out now. She breathed heavily on his neck as he started to reach the end. A few rough thrusts later, he lay on top of her, panting and shaking.

She ran her fangs along his skin, making him shudder. She wanted nothing more than to sink in, to taste his blood as it ran down her throat.

The next time you stay the night with him, I want you to kill him.

She opened her eyes; he was still on top of her and she realized she had paralyzed him without thinking about it. She looked at his exposed, pale neck, with a vein pressed right against the skin. She looked at his strong body, his hands on her breasts.

I’m saying you shouldn’t move forward until you know you won’t have any regrets.

Time moved again and he kissed her roughly.

“What’s that?” he asked, pulling away.

His hair was stuck to his face.

“What?” she whispered, caressing his cheek.

“I thought I felt…. Never mind,” he said and kissed her again.

He rolled off and she put her head on his chest, her hand playing resting just above his belly button.

“That was amazing,” he breathed and she smiled.

“Can I tell you a secret?” she asked and felt him nod. “I’m pretty sure I’m in love with you.”

He moved so that she was looking at him. “Do you really mean that?”

She closed her eyes, tears leaking out. “Yeah, I do. And I have something else I have to tell you. But I don’t want you to hate me.”

He brushed the damp hair out of her face. “I’m in love with you, too,” he said, looking into her eyes. “I could never hate you.”

“Even if I did something bad?” she asked and he wiped her tears away.

“Even if you did something bad.”

She sat up, holding the sheet to her chest. She let out a small sob.

“I’m not who you think I am,” she cried, hiding her face.

“What do you mean? Zarah, tell me.”

He was sitting up, too, and took her face in his hands.

Her lower lip trembled and she made her fangs grow. She gulped and opened her mouth. His eyes widened and he jumped, pulling back.

“What the hell?”

Tears cascaded down her cheeks. “I was going to tell you tonight,” she sobbed. “I had no idea….”

“You’re- You’re a vampire?” he breathed.

“Please don’t kill me,” she cried out, pulling the sheets off the bed and backing against the wall. “Please. I’m not going to kill you. Not anymore. I can’t do it anymore!”

She fell to her knees, sobbing uncontrollably.

He’s going to hate me forever.

“Not anymore?” he repeated weakly.

She covered her face in shame. “I was supposed to kill you. There’s a contract out on your life from a rival company. I didn’t mean to fall in love with you!” She looked up at him through watery eyes. “Please. You can hate me. You can call me whatever you want. You can leave me. Just please don’t kill me! He’s already going to do it for you.”

Jareth’s face was pale. “What are you talking about? Who’s going to kill you!?”

“Damien,” she whimpered, hugging herself, unaware the sheet was gone. “My boss. When I tell him I’m not going to kill you, he’ll either kill me or never turn me human again.”

Silence fell in the room as thick as a blanket. She didn’t dare look up at him. She felt dirty. She was waiting any moment for him to grab a knife and sink it into her stomach. She waited for the words, the insults, the cries of betrayal.

But they never came. At first she thought he left the room but when she looked up, he was right in front of her. He was kneeling down and he took her head in his hands. She trembled in fear.

“I’m not going to kill you,” he whispered and she gasped.

“You- You’re not?” He shook his head no, rubbing her cheek with his thumb.

“And I’m not going to leave you.” She didn’t know what to say. She was dumbfounded. “How could I kill or leave the woman I love?”

“But I’m a monster!” she cried. “An abomination!”

He pulled her into a hug and wrapped his legs around her. She cried harder than she ever had. He didn’t say a word, just held her until she cried herself to sleep.