The Assassin's Folly

Chapter Thirteen

Dimitri had a sudden need for the litter box and, while he was gone, Zarah stood, pulling Jareth with her.

“I don’t deserve any of this,” she said but he kissed her forehead.

“Neither do I.”

“Of course you don’t. Who deserves to be murdered?”

“That’s not what I meant,” he said and she smiled.

“I still can’t believe how well you’re taking the vampire thing.”

“I won’t lie, it does freak me out a little bit. But I love you too much to let it get in the way.” He wrinkled his nose in thought. “Are you really 53 years old? Oh my. I just had sex with an old woman!”

She laughed and hit him playfully. He hugged her as they waited for Dimitri.

“Now, who is this person you want to call?” Dimitri asked, licking his paw.

“Bella.”

Dimitri hissed. “No. Fucking. Way.”

Zarah knelt down in front of the cat. “Last night I learned that love can change a lot of things.” Jareth rested a hand on her shoulder. “I know you know where she is.”

The cat turned its nose up at her. “I have no idea where she is.”

Zarah smirked and picked him up. He hissed and swiped at her as she carried him to the sink.

“Jareth?” she asked innocently, looking at him over the cat’s head. “Could you be a dear and turn the water on?”

“All right, all right!” Dimitri yelled. “No need to bring out the water.” Jareth laughed. “Yes, I know where she is and how to contact her. But how are you going to explain all this to her?”

“I have my ways,” Zarah said and put him on the counter top. “Tell me where I can find her and soon.”

Dimitri stalked off but not before pissing on her new shoes.

Zarah smiled after him as Jareth hugged her from behind.

“He’s your best friend, isn’t he?”

“We’ve been through a lot together,” she nodded. “He’s the one that saved me last time.”

The clock struck noon and he groaned. “I have to go to the office.”

She turned in his arms and kissed him deeply. “I love you so much. I’ll let you know when we’re going to make our first move.”

“Please be safe,” he said, nuzzling her neck. “If you die, I’ll kill you.”

She giggled then looked at him seriously. “Is this really happening?” she asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Are you really ok with me being a vampire? You’re able to forgive me in the blink of an eye?”

He looked deep into her eyes. “Yes. I am.”

She smiled. “It’s a good thing I can tell when you’re lying.”

He made a face. “Maybe this won’t work after all.”

They laughed and she walked him to the door. With a final kiss, he left. Dimitri came back out carrying a letter in his mouth. He placed it on the desk.

“This is the last letter I got from her. She sent it to me ten months ago. She’s still in the city.”

“Do you want me to mention you to her soon or later?”

He sighed. “I really want to see her again,” he muttered. “You’ll probably have to tell her how you know about her, though. Don’t tell her I’m a cat yet, though. That’ll freak her out more than the vampire thing….”

Zarah changed into more relaxed clothes and headed out, Bella’s address written on a Post-It note.

-

She wasn’t at her house but she was at her workplace – a women’s beauty store. Zarah scanned the room, looking for anyone who might fit Dimitri’s description of tall, beautiful, and blond.

“Can I help you?” a girl asked, coming up in front of her.

“Yes, I’m looking for Bella Andrews?”

“You’re looking at her,” the girl said, flashing a smile.

She wasn’t blond anymore; she had dyed her hair brown and she was about as tall as Zarah.

“A mutual friend sent me,” she said. “Is there a private place we can talk?”

Bella looked intrigued and led her to the manager’s office.

“What’s this about?” she asked.

“Do you remember a man named Dimitri?”

Bella’s mouth fell open. “Dimitri? You know him?” Zarah nodded and she put a hand over her heart. “I haven’t heard from him in years. How is he? Is he ok?”

“He’s a little catty,” Zarah replied, smirking at her own joke.

Bella’s face fell. “Are you his girlfriend?”

“Oh, God no!” Zarah cried. “Ew. No.”

Bella laughed in relief. “So why are you asking me about him?”

“He wants to see you,” Zarah said slowly, “but it’s complicated.”

“Let’s go now,” Bella said eagerly, picking up her purse.

“Hold on. There’s something you need to know before we go to him.” She sat back down. “I’ll only tell you this: he’s been… well, he’s been turned into a cat.”

Bella stared at her for a full minute before busting out in laughter.

“Oh, you’re funny,” she said, waving a hand. “Seriously, can we go see him?”

“I’m not joking, Bella,” Zarah said seriously. “You need to prepare yourself for that shock.”

Bella hesitated. “I want to see him,” she repeated firmly.

Zarah sighed. “Well then, let’s go.”