The Assassin's Folly

Chapter Five

Zarah went back into her apartment an hour later and stretched, hanging her coat on the stand. Dimitri was snoozing in front of the fireplace. She took a bottle of water out of the fridge and sat down on the couch, turning on the news.

As usual, all that was on were accidents, domestic violence, and Christmas commercials. Dimitri woke up and stretched.

“So how did it go?” he asked, jumping onto the couch.

“It went well,” she sighed. “Too well; he’s really insecure and obviously lonely.”

“When do you see him again?”

“He’s coming over Friday night for dinner. Turns out he likes cats; do me a favor and try and be like a normal cat.”

“Hmm. What’s in it for me?”

She rolled her eyes. “I’ll get you Fancy Feast from now on.”

“Deal,” he nodded and settled beside her while she turned on a Christmas movie.

Despite how her life has been the last 30 years, she really enjoyed Christmas. It was nice to see the snow and the Christmas trees.

“What do you say we put the tree up today?” she asked and Dimitri nodded.

“I’ll remember not to eat the tinsel this year,” he said and they laughed.

“That was an awkward Christmas indeed.”

Dimitri had become her best friend ever since he was turned into a cat by Damien. Damien had given him to her as a way to make up for his “broken promises.” Ever since then they became, what Dimitri liked to say, partners in crime.

Zarah dug around in the spare closet until she found the box with her fake Christmas tree in it. Dimitri tossed some tinsel and lights over his back and trotted into the living room. Zarah grunted as she pulled the box into the living room, as well. She went back to the closet and dug out the few ornaments she had.

It took them about an hour to get it all up and decorated. They stepped back to admire their work. The tree was about seven feet tall and very full, considering it was a fake. Dimitri jumped into the tree and spun it around and she held the lights so they wrapped around tightly. Dimitri shook the fake pine needles off his back and purred.

“Not too shabby,” he said.

“Not too shabby, at all,” she agreed.

Her phone began to ring and she groaned.

“It’s Damien.” Dimitri curled back up in front of the fire and closed his eyes. “What do you want?”

“Just checking on you,” Damien said in his slick voice. “I’d hate for you to change your mind.”

“I’m not going to change my mind,” she snapped. “Just as long as you keep your promise this time.”

“Of course I will. How’s your target?”

“Really easy,” she answered flopping down on the couch. “I’m planning for Christmas Eve.”

“Why?”

“The company is having a Christmas party. It’ll be simple to slip something into his drink there; especially if I manage to gain his affections.”

“Sounds delicious.”

He hung up and she rolled her eyes. She pulled out a cookbook that once belonged to her mother and flipped through until she found a recipe that she liked. Perhaps she could cook it Friday. A candlelit dinner with some wine should be enough to make a good move.

“One kiss should be enough for now, don’t you think?” she asked Dimitri.

He licked his paw. “You’d know better than I.”

She scoffed and turned the television off. “You’re a lot of help.”

-

Zarah was still wrapped in an apron when her doorbell rang. She pulled the rosemary chicken and roasted potatoes out of the oven and took it off. She fixed her shirt so it showed a little more of her chest and walked to the door.

Jareth was looking handsome in dark jeans and a dinner jacket. He was holding a bouquet of flowers and smiling in that adorable shy smile of his.

“I got these for you,” he said and she accepted them.

“That was very kind of you. Come on in while I put these in a vase.”

She put water in the flowers and lit the candles.

“I’ll open this for you,” he offered and popped the cork out of the wine bottle. “Dinner smells wonderful.”

“I thought I’d make something special.”

They sat down and he held up his glass of wine. They clinked glasses and began to eat.

“I have a question,” he asked after a little bit. “Do you know a way to find someone?”

She swallowed the chicken and tilted her head. “Who are you looking for?”

“My younger brother,” he sighed.

“The one you had the falling out with?” He nodded. “I might be able to talk to my boss and see if he can help,” she said before she thought about it.

“You’d do that?” he asked, his eyes wide.

“Sure,” she shrugged. “Why are you wanting to find him?”

“My father wants to see him before… well, he wants to see him.”

Zarah nodded, feeling that pang of pity again. She didn’t imagine that she would be able to sympathize with someone like this.

“Perhaps you can do me a favor in return,” she said, ignoring her nervous feelings.

“Anything,” he said quickly and took another gulp of wine.

“Well, I never learned to dance and I might be going to a party soon.”

Please take the bait.

He looked at her thoughtfully. “Sure. My mom taught me when I was a teenager. She said I might need it someday.” He stood and offered his hand. “I guess she was right.”

Zarah stood and got as close to him as she could. She saw him gulp and put a hand on his shoulder. In truth, she already knew how to dance. Dimitri had taught her in a way. Of course he couldn’t dance with her but she was bored one day and he instructed her.

“So have you done all your shopping?” she asked as they revolved slowly on the spot.

“Almost,” he answered. “I just have two more gifts to get. What about you?”

“Finally finished,” she said.

“What’s this party you’re going to?”

“Well, it’s supposed to be a company Christmas party,” she said, choosing her words carefully. “But my boss might cancel it.” She gave a disappointed sigh.

“Hey, my company is having a Christmas party on Christmas Eve. You can come with me, if you’d like. You are a wonderful dancer. You must be a natural.”

“I’d love to go to your party.”

She smiled up at him and he laughed a little.

“I- I think I might have drank a little too much wine,” he stammered. “I’m feeling a little light headed.”

“So am I,” she lied, getting closer and looking at him through her lashes.

“Per- Perhaps we should stop dancing.”

She ran her other hand up behind his neck. “Why?”

“I… um… I can’t think of an idea,” he whispered, his face getting closer and closer to hers.

She closed her eyes and kissed him. At first he hesitated, but then he leaned into her, pulling her close so their bodies were touching. Her plan had been a quick peck on the lips but she felt a stirring in the stomach and their breath quickened. She pushed him gently against the kitchen wall and he gasped into her lips.

“We- we should stop before things get out of hand,” she breathed as he kissed her neck.

“You’re probably right,” he muttered but kissed her again.

She couldn’t help but kiss him again and he pulled her to the couch. They landed with a thud and she laughed as her head bounced off the cushions. His hands travelled under her shirt and she shuddered, leaning her head back. She hadn’t felt such pleasure in many years. His lips lingered on her breasts and she moaned, running her hand in his hair.

That’s when it happened. She felt her fangs growing and she could feel his blood pulsing in his veins. She put her fingers on his wrist and kissed it. She could feel his excitement on her as she licked it.

At that moment, Dimitri jumped on her head, his claws out. She cried out in pain and they both sat up. She pretended to glare at him but she was secretly grateful. If Dimitri hadn’t intervened, she would have lost control.

Jareth was still breathing hard, his hair sitting up in a few places.

“Is this Dimitri?” he asked, rubbing the cat’s head.

“I told you he was a pain in the neck.”

He laughed and kissed her deeply. She tried to keep him from feeling her front teeth.

“I should probably go anyway,” he said and they stood up. “I have to work tomorrow.”

“Work on Saturday?” she asked, walking him to the door.

“I’m afraid so.”

“I’ll ask my boss tomorrow about finding your brother. Text me his name and age and I’ll see what I can do.”

He smiled. “Thanks. I’ll call you.”

He left and she let out a sigh of relief.

“Thank you, Dimitri,” she said and the cat nodded.

“I could see your fangs,” he said seriously. “There’s a box in the fridge.”

She nodded and got a box of blood out of the fridge and drained it.