Unpredictable

10

I woke up on a Saturday and stretched, feeling the need to get up and pee. I walked over to the bathroom and did just that. When I was done, I washed my hands and caught a glimpse of myself in the full length mirror, gasping.

I quickly pulled my shirt up above my abdomen and stared down at the newly formed bump that had not been there the night before. It was small, but it was there. I was showing. With my babies.

I didn't realize I was crying until the wetness dripped onto my hands. I reached up to wipe them away just as my mom was walking by.

"Mack, honey, what's wrong?" She asked gently, taking in my tears.

I just turned to look at her and wordlessly pointed at my swollen stomach. She grinned and pulled me into a hug.

"You're showing! That's so great, baby!" She kissed the top of my head lightly.

I put my hand over my stomach and stroked up and down gently, marveling at this new development.

My mom laughed.

"It's a lot to get used to." She said softly. "But listen, send a picture to Cal and then let's get going. We have a meeting with your principle today and then we'll go get you clothes, because apparently you'll need them now. Then we'll go get ice cream."

My face brightened at ice cream and my mom laughed, leaving me behind to get ready. I quickly grabbed my phone and snapped a picture of my belly in the mirror, texting it to Calum.

Woke up like this. Looks like your babies are going to be giants.

I quickly went back to my room, trying to find clothes that would fit. I settled on Calum's sweatpants and a lose shirt.

After I changed, I went downstairs to meet my mom before we drove to the school to meet with my principle.

My phone buzzed with a text right before we got out of the car.

You're literally glowing, sweetpea. Can't wait for our children to be here. Beautiful. Love you.

I blushed at the praise before pocketing my phone and following my mom into my principal's office.

She greeted us with a warm smile as we sat down in front of her desk.

"So." My mom started. "We just wanted to touch base with you about Mackenzie's schooling now that she's pregnant."

"Oh! Well, you can stay in school as long as you can take it, okay? We don't want you straining yourself just to come here, Mackenzie. Whenever you need to stop, I will personally start emailing assignments to you to do at home on a weekly basis. Does that sound okay? We want you to be able to graduate."

I nodded eagerly, absentmindedly rubbing a hand on my stomach.

"What about like, the school nurse?" My mom asked. "Is she trained to deal with pregnancy if an emergency arises?"

I gulped. I hasn't even thought of that.

"Yes. We've had a few pregnant students before, so we make sure our nurse is trained to know whether it's an emergency."

My mom and I both breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thank you so much." I said softly as we stood up.

"No problem, Mackenzie. See you Monday."

My mom and I walked from the school and got in the car, driving towards the mall. When we got there, we went into the maternity store, and I immediately scrunched up my nose in distaste.

"Everything's so... old." I whined.

My mom laughed, pulling a shirt off the rack.

"Mackenzie, you cannot keep wearing Calum's clothes."

I huffed out a breath and grabbed an okay looking dress from the rack, just as I felt a presence behind us. I turned to see two young girls standing there, looking nervous. Crap.

"Uhm, hi. Sorry to bother you, but you're Luke's family, right?" One girl asked softly.

My mom smiled.

"We sure are!" She said happily.

"Are... you're pregnant?" The other girl asked me. "Who's the father?"

Just then, a very pregnant looking woman, their mother or sister, called them from across the store. They both followed.

I let out a breath. The fans didn't know Calum and I were dating, but they were always speculating about it.

"It's okay, Mack." My mom said quietly. "They're gonna find out anyway, maybe you can officially announce it soon?"

"Maybe." I sighed, putting a hand on my stomach. "Can we go get ice cream?"

My mom laughed and nodded, wrapping an arm around me and leaving the store.