Unpredictable

6

I woke up the next day to a hand rubbing circles on my stomach. I smiled and turned around, leaning up to kiss Calum's jaw.

"Morning, sweetpea." He mumbled. "Feeling okay?"

I nodded and leaned in to bury my face in the crook of his neck. He was silent for a while, rubbing my back gently.

"My mom's downstairs making breakfast." He informed me after a while. "I think it's a good time to go down there and tell her we've been dating."

I smiled into his neck, kissing it gently.

"Yeah, I think that's a good idea."

I sat up, and Calum watched me slip on a pair of his sweatpants and t-shirt intently. I turned to him and cocked an eyebrow, silently asking what he was thinking about.

"I just can't wait until you're showing. You're going to look beautiful when you're clearly carrying our baby, love."

I blushed at the tought and he chuckled, kissing the top of my head.

"C'mon, let's go." I said, grabbing his hand. "I told Luke we'd spend the day just the two of us, so I figure I'll tell him we're dating today."

Calum grinned.

"It's going to go fine, princess, you'll see."

I sighed as he squeezed my hand, pulling me down the stairs toward his kitchen.

"Good morning, Calum, I was wondering when you'd-" Joy turned around, noticing my presence. "Oh! Mackenzie, love, so good to see you!"

I smiled shyly.

"Good to see you too."

"C'mon, kids, come eat breakfast!" She insisted.

My stomach churned at the thought of eggs and Calum noticed it on my face.

"Actually, mom, we wanted to tell you something."

Joy blinked at his serious tone.

"What is it, sweetheart?"

Calum squeezed my hand in his own.

"Mom, Mackenzie and I are dating." He said softly. "We have been for over a year."

We both waited with baited breath for a response. When she did respond, however, it wasn't what we were expecting. She started laughing.

"Uhm.. Mom?" Calum said slowly.

"Sorry." Joy composed herself. "It's just that I now owe Liz 10 dollars."

"What?" Calum and I questioned at the same time.

"Liz and I have known you've been dating for a year." She said, shrugging. "She thought you'd tell us before this tour. I thought you'd wait longer. I was wrong."

"H-How did you know?" Calum asked.

Joy laughed again, patting her sons cheek.

"We're your mothers." She said softly. "Mother's always know."

Calum smiled, pulling his mom into a hug before coming over and putting his hand back in mine.

"Are you sure you can't come eat?" She asked.

"I'm sorry, but I promised Luke I'd spend the day with him."

"Now Luke doesn't know." She said. "We thought that one should come from you."

I groaned and Calum laughed, kissing the top of my head.

Joy grabbed a 10 dollar bill from her purse, handing it to me.

"Take this home to Liz."

I groaned again, leaving the room as Calum followed me, chuckling.

"I can't believe our mom's bet on us." I whined as we reached the door and Calum wrapped his arms around me.

"I can." He laughed, kissing my cheek. "Are you sure you don't want me to come with you today?"

I shook my head, sighing.

"I'll want you there when we tell them the other thing." I whispered softly. "But I think this one needs to come from me."

He nodded in understanding.

"Okay, love. Call me after you talk, okay?" He said softly, kissing my forehead before I slipped on my shoes.

I nodded, hugging him once more before setting off toward home.

When I got there, I threw open the door dramatically and stomped into the kitchen where my mom was, throwing the money on the counter loudly.

"Mackenzie Marie, what is this?" She asked.

"It's a present from Joy. Because you bet on my relationship!" I whined.

Liz laughed, throwing her head back.

"Sorry, love, but we knew you guys were together. I mean, you've been in love with Calum since the first day you met him, I know that, honey."

And then, in an instant, a new voice was in the doorway.

"What?!" Luke's voice boomed.

I turned towards my clearly angry brother as our mom quietly slipped out of the room.

"Luke, listen."

"No, Mackenzie, you're dating Calum?! Actually dating? Neither of you told me?!"

"Luke, calm down. " I said softly, putting a hand on his arm.

He sighed, closing his eyes.

"I love him." I muttered softly.

"Well, of course you do." His facial expression softened. "Mack, I'm not blind. I know that you two love each other. I just didn't know you've been officially dating. I'm just mad you didn't tell me sooner. You're supposed to be my best friend! You're supposed to tell me things!"

I started to cry, and Luke groaned, pulling me into a hug.

"I didn't want you to cry, sis. I just wanted you to tell me on your own about this."

"I was going to today." I got out through sobs.

"Okay." He said softly. "Okay. Just no more secrets. I'm your big brother and I'm here for you."

I swallowed the bile back down my throat when I thought of this huge secret I was still keeping from him, but nodded.

Luke smiled, hugging me tight.

"Okay. Now call Calum to come over. We both leave for tour in a week, so I'm sure you want to hang with both of us."

I groaned at the reminder that he placed into my head that they would be leaving soon. I felt tears well up in my eyes, but I choked them back and put on a fake smile.

"Okay, Luke, okay."