Unpredictable

8

I groaned when I woke up to my alarm, turning it off and stretching before the familiar feeling of nausea hit me. I sat up and ran to the bathroom to throw up, silently cursing the whole time. When I was done, I brushed my teeth and then grabbed my phone to text Calum.

I have decided I don't like you anymore.

I got dressed in leggings and a shirt before Calum texted back.

oh no! what did i do?

I grunted before typing out a response.

i can't stop throwing up, that's what.

I quickly grabbed my backpack and went downstairs, seeing Jess's car there. I kissed my mom's cheek before going out to the car, seeing an awaiting text from Calum.

sorry love :( i hope you have an okay day anyway, and tell me how it goes today! love you so much, it'll all be worth it in the end.

I grinned at that, remembering that today would be the first ultrasound for the baby.

Jess grinned back, squeezing my knee before driving away.

"I can't wait for later." She exclaimed.

"Me either." I smiled. "But first we have to get through school."

We both groaned as we pulled up to the school and went inside for the day, going to our separate classes.

The nausea hit me again during class, but I swallowed it down.

Lunch was another story. I couldn't sit in the cafeteria with all of the smells without bolting down the hall to throw up in the toilet.

Sighing, I stood up to go to my last few classes.

Once the day was over, I went out to Jess's car, where she was waiting for me to go to the doctor's office.

Once we got there, I filled out the paperwork and waited for the doctor to call us back.

When we got into the room, the doctor smiled, asking if I had any questions.

"Well, uhm, I'm just really bloated already, and I was wondering if that's normal for this time in the pregnancy? Also, I'm wondering if a lot of morning sickness is bad for the baby?"

The doctor nodded along before smiling.

"Well, I'd say as long as you're still eating the correct amount, and your weight doesn't drop or anything, morning sickness isn't going to hurt the baby. Unfortunately, some women just experience it worse than others."

I groaned and her and Jess both laughed.

"And, as for your first question, I have an idea about that, but I need you to lay back and roll up your shirt."

I did what she said, and she smiled gently down at me before squirting some gel on her fingers.

"This is going to be cold." She warned, but I flinched anyway when it made contact with my skin, before she moved the ultrasound wand around. "Just as I thought!" She grinned, pointing to a blob on the screen. "This is your baby, Mackenzie. A healthy baby."

I breathed out a sigh of relief as tears flooded my vision and Jess clutched my hand.

"But." The doctor said, smirking. "These are also your babies." She pointed to two more dots I hadn't noticed on the screen. "You're having triplets, Mackenzie. Three healthy little babies."

I swear my heart stopped before Jess started laughing next to me.

"Jess!" I scolded my friend.

"Sorry, sorry." She said, regaining her composure. "I just didn't know Calum had it in him."

I blushed furiously, hitting my friend as the doctor chuckled.

"Now, Mackenzie, this means you will start really showing in about two weeks. Your bump will grow faster than a woman pregnant with one baby, since there's 3. You're at even more of a high risk now, so you need to come see me a lot. And we need to put you on a diet that will help you gain a lot of weight for them, but is nutritional. You probably will be on bed rest for at least the last two months, so plan on that."

I nodded my head along with her, but paled at the last part.

"What about school? I have to graduate."

"I can help it get arranged so you can finish school at home from bed when that time comes. The babies all seem very healthy, though, Mackenzie, so now is the time I suggest telling your family and such. You're going to get big fast, so there's only a limited window."

I sighed, but nodded, knowing that she was right.

"Thank you doctor."

The doctor nodded and left the room, promising a return appointment soon.

I smiled at my best friend, who wiped a tear from my eye.

"Triplets." I mumbled. "What if they're 3 boys? How can I deal with 4 of Calum?"

Jess threw her head back in laughter.

"Speaking of Calum, how are you going to tell him this?"

"I have a few ideas."

I got home and immediately fell asleep curled up on the couch. When I woke up, I had multiple texts and missed phone calls from Calum.

Honey, where are you? How'd today go?

Babe?

Sweetcheeks?
I laughed and quickly typed out a message in response.

Sorry, bub, I'm napping for 4 now.

I bit my lip and waited, and a minute later, my phone was ringing.

"What does this mean, Kenz?" His voice had tears in it.

I grinned.

"Congrats, daddy, you're having 3 babies."

I heard him crying on the other line and I laughed.

"C'mon, you old softie. I'm the one who's gotta carry them. I should be crying."

He laughed a watery laugh.

"I'm just so happy, sweetheart. This is better than I could've ever asked for. I love you so much, Mackenzie."

I grinned, pulling my legs up underneath me and putting a hand on the small swell of my stomach.

"But this means we've gotta tell everyone soon. She said I'm going to be really showing in 2 weeks. And school. I've gotta figure out what I'm going to do about school. Ugh, Calum, I-"

"Honey, relax, breathe." Calum urged. "One step at a time, okay? When do you wanna tell them? We can probably skype in if you gather all of the family that's around."

"Next week?" I asked softly.

"Of course. We can on Monday. I know it's going to be a shock, but it'll be okay, Kenz. And as for school. You'll go until you can't anymore, and by then I'll be home to help you, yeah? You can do stuff from home and submit it online."

I breathed a sigh of relief, thankful for Calum.

"I love you, Calum."

"I love you too, sweetpea. Now go get some more rest, you really need it. I admire you so much for doing this, love. Talk to you soon."

We hung up and I grinned, burrowing back into the depths of sleep, wondering how telling our families would go.