The Hawke Family

Chapter Three

Lorelee Hoffman used all of her strength to sit at her desk until Jaiden Hawke went to his office. Quietly, without saying anything to anyone, she walked to the women’s bathroom and quietly burst into tears. Her dream had finally come true and it was all due to office gossip.
She’d quickly fallen for Jaiden when she started here six months ago. He was sweet, considerate and quiet like her. That he barely said five words to her on any given day didn’t bother her.
She was heartbroken, longing to talk to her best friend Sophie, who she always talked to about Jaiden. She needed her advice, her guidance on this. But right now they were both at work and talking would have to wait til later.
Once the tears stopped flowing, she stepped over to the sink, washed her face and fixed her make-up. She gave herself a few more minutes to let the redness drain from her features before heading back to her desk. Going through the motions of the day she failed to see the many looks Jaiden sent her way. At five o’clock she was the first one out the door.
Unlocking the door of the small two bedroom home she owned, she collapsed onto the sofa, expecting tears. When none came she got up and fed Goldie, her pet goldfish, then wandered around the house clicking her tongue to call for Ginger, the little orange kitten she’d gotten a week ago in a low moment.
Finally, Ginger’s little orange body emerged from under the couch. She picked her up, giving her cuddles for a moment while she walked into the kitchen

Lorelee picked up her phone on the second ring.
“I got your text. What’s up?” came Sophie’s cheerful voice. Lorelee promptlyt burst into tears. “Hey, hey, hey. Why the tears? Your getting what you want.”
“Because he only asked me out to stop the office gossip.’ Came the tearful reply
“He told you that?”
“No, he said it wasn’t. But I’m pretty sure he lied. Why would he want to go out with me?”
Sophie laughed, “Look in a mirror, kiddo, and you’ll know why. But so what if he did only ask you out to stop gossip? It doesn’t matter. It just matters that you go and have fun and win him over so that there is a second date.
Lorelee sniffled, wiping tears. “How do I do that? I’m not like you, Soph. I’ve never been on a date as an adult and only one in high school. I have no idea how to do this.”
“You just be you. None of the walls you like to put up to keep people out. If you love him like you say you do, you have to let him in.”
A deep breath in and out and lorelee replied “Ok Sophie, I’ll give it a try. Now do you want to come over and help me pick out an outfit? I have no clue what to wear.”
“Sounds good. I?’ll be over around seven. Wanna share a pizza?”
“Sure. Pepperoni and mushroom?”
“Ugh.n Half pep and mush, half pep and sausage.”
Lorelee giggled, feeling much better, “That works.”

Half an hour later Sophie showed up with pizza and cola in hand. To Lorelee she characterized femininity.She was a petite 5’1 with large silver gray eyes were trimmed with thick long lashes and her golden blonde hair was long and straight. Not like her own curly locks. She tried not to compare herself but next to her petite beautiful friend she felt tall, gangly and ugly.
“So glad you brought dinner. I’m famished but don’t feel like cooking.” Lorelee greeted her best friend.
“Anytime sweetie. Are we going to pick out your outfit while we eat or just eat?”
“Let’s eat. I don’t want to get sauce on anything.”
“Good idea, Loree.”
They sat on the couch with plates full of pizza and talked over the last few days. Lorelee shared how Jaiden asked her out, and her trip to the bathroom afterwards.
“I just don’t know why you don’t believe him”
“He’s rich, Soph. And gorgeous. Why would he want a shy poor little girl like me?”
“Umm, maybe, because your beautiful, sweet, honest. Do I need to go on?”
Lorelee had turned several shades of red in embarrassment. “I’m passing pretty, and the rest are all because of my mama”
“Well, mama did good.”
Lorelee smiled at her friend “Thank you.”
“Yeah. Food’s gone, take me to your closet.” This time they both laughed outright.
They Spent an hour going through Lorelee's closet and finally settled on a frilly blue dress. “Do you think it;s too much?” Loree asked her friend
“No, it’s perfect. We have to very nice restaurants here in town and it will work for either one. If he takes you to a movie you wont be to dressed up. It’s perfect. What jewelry are you going to wear?”
“What I always do of course.”
“Not good enough. What about the wolves set you have? Its simple but beautiful and would look great.”
“If you think that is best.”
“Of course I do”
Lorelee gave her fried a doubtful look but got out the jewelry and walking into the bathroom set it on shell she used to hold her jewelry for the next day.”
“Do you want to watch a little TV with me before you head out? We have been so focused on this and Jaiden we haven’t really had anytime to just talk.”
“Not tonight. I have a 7:00 am class tomorrow and I still haven't done the homework for it.”
“Sophie, your procrastination is going to kill your shot at your career. What does Rafe say about it?”
“He teases me and tells me to hit the books. So I hit the book in front of him before I left tonight.”
“Go home and study, goofball.”
“That’s me.” Sophie smiled like the Cheshire Cat, and walked out the door. A minute later she popped back in to say “Don’t forget to call me and let me know how it goes.”
“Always, Soph.” Lorelee replied, grinning at her friend from her curled up position on the couch.