Second Best

3 Months Later.

After getting comfortable with who's thumb goes over whom. Lilith was getting comfortable being with Tony. Why not? He is the most desirable 7th grader, Lilith knew it, from the bombarding love letters left in his locker to the icy stares she ignored in the hallways. Lilith wasn't the best looking, her hair always in a ponytail and over-sized sweaters, but she never questioned herself. After all, all Tony looked at was her.

"So how about it? The Halloween dance?" Tony nervously asked while avoiding eye contact
"Oh yea..." The first dance, her first love. "Yes"
"Good because I'd don't know what to do with the tickets I already bought if you'd said no." Tony chuckled, but confidently smiled.

The gym was full of awkward preteens. Lilith and Tony sat on the bleachers holding hands and moving with the beat when a silly song came on. She brushed her bangs to the side, glancing at him. He showed no sign shyness, she loved him, from the first moment. The moment she laid her eyes on this chubby boy in 5th grade. An innocent crush, she admired the way he confidently spoke to the class or the way he showed leadership. She hadn't spoke to him until the end of the year when he gave her a late Valentine's Day card. In bright red it read you're cute.

"Lilith?"
....
....

The kiss....the kiss was sweet.
But she didn't feel warmth instead she felt her bangs. In the way of her first kiss.