Second Best

Confused.

Kitty tried everything. Messaging. Calling. Online Messages.

Nothing.

He never showed.

She spent the next week alone.

...........

She arrived at school. Waving to the people she knows and going to her friends.

"Hey Kitty, whats wrong?"

"It's nothing."

"Well Ty was just here looking for you."

<Ty? What happened to him? Why didn't he show up?>

"Well I'd rather hang out with you guys today."

"That's fine with us"

She wandered to each class trying to get her mind off him. He didn't even show up to the class they shared together.

"Kitty!" it was Ty.

"Kitty! Wait!"

She turned but didn't say a word.

"Hey I'm sorry about the whole break thing. My phone turned off right before you sent the directions and I couldn't get online since I did through my phone."

"Oh."

"Are you mad at me?"

"I really don't know how to feel."

"Do you want time to yourself?"

"Just for now."

Kitty sat outside thinking it through.

<Is it? Then why did it show he was online that night? Why didn't he message me then?>

"Yeah I spent some time with Ty."

<What?> Kitty peeked around the corner

"Yeah he invited me over and I got to meet his family. Then we went hiking for New Year's. He didn't kiss me but I'm sure he wants to break-up with what's-her-face first."

<Are you kidding.>

................

Kitty walked to Ty's usual hang out spot. When she got to him she took off the necklace and handed it to him.

"What? What are you doing?"

"You went hiking didn't you."

His gaze slowly went to the floor.

"I'm sorry since I couldn't get a hold of you my younger brother invited me to go hiking with him and his girlfriend and her friends."

"Awesome. Did one of them get to spent a lot of time with you in particular?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I overheard that girl talking about how she got to spent time with you and your family. You didn't even want to introduce me to your sister whenever she drops you off."

"I'm sorry. I'm just not ready ok?"

<Not ready? Not ready to be with me then.>

"I'm done. If your not taking me serious than where is this going?"

"Babe stop. I still love you. I just can't show you to my family."

"Nope that's cool. Just let me know when your ready to take me seriously. In the mean time. Keep the necklace."