Second Best

Tom

<The school year ends next week. With the 8th graders practicing promotion Reuben hasn't been bothering with me much lately. Since he's confession he's been nice...but getting use to the cold stare brings back memories>

"Hey Lilith!"

A shorter girl meets up with Lilith.

"Hey Tom"

Tom was a nickname for this spunky girl, she was friends with all the girls especially Danielle and Reuben's bestfriend. Since Reuben confided in Tom about his crush since the beginning of time, Tom hung around Lilith getting to know her and tease the two of them when they hung out at lunch.

"So....what did you say?"

"To what Tom?"

"You know exactly what. The promotion dance. What did you say when the football team grabbed you and led you to Reuben so he could handed you the 20 balloons spelling out dance and your picture on them?"

<It was a bit much.>

"It was sweet. Never had that much attention...but I said yes if that's what you looking for."

"Great! I'd love to see you out of the sweater and into a dress!" Tom squealed and scurried away

<Right, a dress. Great.>

.......

"Mom...I...need a dress."

For the next 10 minutes her mom screamed while pushing her to the car and heading to the nearest dress shop.

"Honey it's great that you've moved on from Tony."

"Stop right there mom. I only agreed to go with Reuben because the entire school was staring and I didn't want to make him look like an idiot."

<But...since he is the hottest guy, it's little harm to remember being with someone who was cute, popular and smart. I admit I do like the attention difference is that Reuben isn't as controlling as Tony was, or jealous.>

"Alright honey how about this one? It goes with your pretty bracelet"

"As crazy as you are, that is a pretty dress."

.........

The promotion ceremony was short but entertaining. When Reuben gave the speech and his named was called the auditorium was filled with cheers and hooting football players. He always gave a wink like he knew where Lilith was sitting.

..........

<It's a tight squeeze.> Lilith shimmy into the dress

"Dude your going to look so pretty"

<Danielle had stricter parents so she wasn't allowed to go for more than 30 minutes but at least she could walk me to the school.>

"Danielle sorry you can't stay the whole night. Reuben did buy all our tickets."

"I know but it's ok. I asked Reuben to convince the DJ to play my jams for the time I'm there so I can just dance"

They walked to the school just across from the street. Lilith having her sweater over dress.

"Girls! your suppose to look nice!" Tom bounced over in her lacy dress.

"Tom you know our only 14 right?" Danielle laughed slowly tugging at the laces.

"Hey have you seen Reuben, Tom?"

"Nope but I'll look for him for you!"

Lilith and Danielle danced, dork moved but it brought them smiles.

<It's been 20 minutes. Where is Reuben?>

"Danielle I'm going to look for Reuben"

.......

Lilith wandered the halls but Reuben wasn't in sight. Then as she turned a hallway she rushed back out of sight. It was those girls. Reuben's fans.

"Lilith we've seen you."

<Damn.> Lilith sulked from behind the wall.

"What do you want Ariel?"

"Lilith, just because Reuben wastes his time with you he's just going to hurt you."

"Ariel what are you talking about?"

4 of the girls lifted their arm. All wearing the same pale blue bracelet.

"Think your special? We have the bracelet too. Reuben gives it to all the girls he's dated."

"But who is he with now Ariel? I haven't seen him hung around any of you."

"Lilith, when you get hurt you'll understand why we want him back. Just to break his heart like he did to us."

Lilith stood there quiet and walked away. Furious but knowing she can't all of them. She wandered blindly around until she reached a door to the nurses' office.

"Reuben."

<Reuben? That was Tom's voice.>

Lilith opened the door but quietly shut it. She turned and walked back to where she came from. Meeting up with Danielle and ended up going back to her house for the night, but the image wouldn't escape her mind. Tom wore shawl over her arms but Lilith saw the pale blue bracelet hiding under her jewelry...she also saw them kissing.