Second Best

The First.

<First day of High School.> Lilith sighed and opened the doors to the hustle of students finding the their friends or classes. Since Danielle went to another high school, Lilith didn't have any close friends.

<Wait...>

She looked down the hallway and noticed a guy with ripped black jeans.

<Wyatt?>

She followed the figure around the gym going towards the front of the school.

<Forget it. I need to know.>

She runs to catch up with him.

"Wyatt!"

"F*ck. This was suppose to be a surprise"

"What do you mean? Why are you here?"

'Well, since I convinced my parents to transferring me to this school so I can be with you. I wanted to wait until towards the end of the day to surprise you with this cupcake."

He took a small chocolate cupcake out of a wrapper and handed to it Lilith.

"Well thanks." Hiding her smile she gave a shy hug.

..........

Each day they spent the time before school, after school, between classes and of course lunch with each other. She didn't mind. She didn't have any new friends to hang out with.

After 4 months it nearly marked a full year. Lilith's first long term relationship...well steady relationship. Tony would have small break-ups about each month with his jealousy issues.

During lunch Lilith waited outside at their usual spot, holding a box with a present she got from the last time she went out of town.

"Hey"

Wyatt walked around the corner and sat next to Lilith, throwing his bag to the side.

"Hey Hun, I got your lunch. Plus I wanted to give you something else as well." Filled with joy Lilith dug through her bag looking for the box.

"Wait there's something I have to say first." Wyatt grabbed her hands away from her bag and slowly looked her in the eye.

"We've been together for what now? 11 months? I can't keep this up anymore..."

Lilith's chest started to hurt...

"Keep what up?"

Wyatt went for his sweater and pulled out his phone. He scrolled for a bit then handed it to Lilith.

[Hey Babe! Just wanted to tell you good morning and have an awesome day at school!]

Lilith's hands went numb, her eyes becoming blurred with tears. She let out a smile.

"Funny....that's not my phone number..."

Wyatt picked the phone back off her hand and motioned his hands to hold hers. Lilith put her arms to the sides and stood up. Wyatt quickly stood up and went for a hug.

"How long?" Lilith could only think to ask.

"A year before I met you."

<A year before?>

"What do you mean a year before? You've been with someone else the whole time you were with me? Been with someone even when I first met you?"

".......yes"

Lilith started to walk away, her heart ache to know that the person she explored into a real relationship with was with someone else...in fact she was the someone else to that girl. She ruffled through her bag once more and found the box. Handed it to him and walked away.