Second Best

Ty.

Passing notes Kitty got to know the guy she sat across from. Even if he's a freshman and she's a sophomore, he was still older by 6 months. He could do amazing drawings and even gave Kitty one for her birthday. She liked him, he was was she used to be. Quiet and shy....well she still was but not as bad as hiding behind an over sized sweater.

Kitty got to know another person. Her name Amber. Amber would help by being the one to pass the letters between the two.

"Come on Kitty. You can ask Ty out! Quit being a tease!"

"I"m not a tease. I'm just used to the guy being the one to ask me out.

"We don't live in the golden age anymore. Besides for one Ty is shy. Two he has a fan club that attempts to ask him once a week and three wouldn't be brave enough to ask you."

<Maybe she's right. Maybe I'll take control for once.....fan club?>

Kitty went to find him during lunch. He sat outside just drawing and listening to music, ignoring the fact there was a girl in front of him holding out a gift for him.

"Ty I know what happened at your old school and got you this basketball so you could get back into the sport."

<Basketball?>

"Listen I've told your friends each week that I'm not planning on joining that sport again. Now please I just want to sit here and draw."

She slowly shuffled away leaving the basketball at his feet.

<Maybe this isn't the best time...>

Another week passed and no new notes went between them. Kitty sat there thinking about what the girl said.

<What did happen? Old school? No wonder I never did see him in the past.>

The bell rang and everyone stood up to leave but when Kitty was about to turn a finger poked her arm and she turned to face Ty. He was handing her a folded paper.

It was a drawing. A drawing of Kitty lost in thought. Underneath the drawing "Be mine?" was written.

...............

It's been 3 months since that day and each day, Kitty was happy. Genuinely happy. She didn't feel like she was suffocating under jealousy, she didn't need to worry about any "best friends", and best of all Ty showed no sign of being interested in any other girl or he wouldn't spend half the time they were together on his phone. He got along with Chipmunk and Koala, they'd spend lunch playing games or just hanging around the bleachers joking around.

Ty was the best...he healed the wounds that other caused. Showing Kitty she didn't need to modify herself in anyway. He liked her the way she was.

..............

"I Love You."

Kitty lifted her head up. Tears slowly going down her face.

"What?" She wiped the tears away.

"You heard me. I Love You. I Love You Lilith."

Hours earlier Kitty was on her way to class when two girls stepped in front of her.

"Are you Lilith? The one that's with Ty?"

"Yeah...why?"

"Listen your so called boyfriend. We saw him kiss another girl this morning before you showed up. Just thought we'd be nice and tell you." They walked off.

Kitty's heart felt heavy once more. Her mind becoming blank around the words "another girl".

<Why? Why is there another girl? Another Tom? Another one of her? Why is it that guys wanted someone else?>

She continued with her day until he bumped into Ty on her way to class.

"Hey my one and only" With a big smile he bear hugged her.

<One and only?>

"Listen. These two girls came up to me earlier and said that they saw you kissing another girl this morning before I showed up"

He let her go.

"What girl? What two girls?"

Kitty's eyes filled with tears.

"Is it true? I just want the truth. I'm tired of being second or the other girl."

Kitty walked. She couldn't bear the guy she fell hard for. She couldn't bear the heartache...

When lunch came around Kitty told her friends she just wanted to be alone. So she sat on the side of the gym, holding her head down..

"You heard me. I Love You. I Love You Lilith."

Ty reached for her hands and knelt down in front of her.

"I have no idea what two girls said to you but I'd never hurt you. Look this morning I arrived late and my older sister dropped me off. She's the kind that gives kisses on the cheek. Look I swear."

He held his phone up.

[Have a great day at school bro! Tell the Mrs. I said Yo!] 7:50 a.m

<7:50? That's around the time I get to school. No wonder Ty was already in the front of the school waiting for me.>

"Do you swear?" Lifting her head up.

"Hun, I swear. I'd never lie to you. Believe me. Believe in me."

"I do."
♠ ♠ ♠
Lilith . Kitty
Casandra . Chipmunk
Shannon . Koala