Sequel: Something

Like I'm Gonna Lose You

Förtioåtta

Mattias’ POV- February 2016
I spotted Lucy’s Uncle Theo as soon as I stepped on the ice. He was a bit bothered when Lucy told him she’d meet him once the game was over. He wanted to meet her during the game, but I told Lucy I did not want her alone with him. Nick had called me a few nights before and told me to make sure she wasn’t alone. I agreed with him because I did not want Lucy to feel uncomfortable. This guy looked exactly like her dad, and the last memory Lucy has of her dad is not one a 6 year old should have gone through at the time. I’m happy he wants to meet her, but he’s meeting her through her terms.

“We’re going to catch some drinks”

I slipped on my suit jacket and looked at Roman.

“I have plans” I told him.

He raised an eyebrow.

“Lucy is meeting her Uncle and I want to be there for her” I said.

He nodded.

“Well when you two are done with that, come have some drinks”

I chuckled and nodded.

“I’ll tell her” I said.

He smiled and went back to changing. I grabbed my phone and tossed my keys to Filip. He nodded and put them in his pocket. Lucy brought her car with her, and we were going to have late dinner with her uncle. I waved at my teammates as I left the locker room. I spotted Lucy talking with Bailey Weber, and I made my way over. Lucy had on a pair of black pants and a pink longsleeve blouse with a black collar. She had on a pair of heeled boots and her hair was pulled up into a tight bun. My jersey was tucked into her purse and I could see the blue collar popping out from her opened purse.

“Even if it’s just for lunch, you should come! It will be fun”

Lucy nodded and smiled at me.

“Yea, just keep me updated”

Bailey nodded and they hugged.

“There is Shea, I will keep you update. Bye Mattias”

I waved and looked at Lucy who let out a deep breath.

“Ready?” I asked her.

She nodded slowly and reached for my hand. I was about to open the door when she stopped walking. I looked at her and saw there was a slight panic look on her face.

“Just a second”

I nodded and moved away from the door. Lucy let go of my hand and rubbed her arms.

“Take your time” I told her.

She nodded slowly and took a deep breath.

“He looks just like my dad”

I nodded.

“We can meet him tomorrow if you want” I said.

She looked at me.

“He flew in from Sweden”

I shrugged.

“That’s a lot of money”

“Don’t worry about that” I said.

“What if he sounds like him?”

Her eyes grew wide and she shook her head. I stepped forward and pulled her into a tight hug.

“We could go back home if you don’t want to meet him today” I said.

Her face was pressed against my chest, so I moved a bit to look at her. She took a deep breath and nodded.

“I’m fine…just…just don’t leave me alone with him”

I nodded.

“I won’t “ I assured her.

She nodded and I followed her as she pushed the door open. Theo, Lucy’s uncle was leaning against the wall across from the door. The security guard offered us a smile as Theo stood up straight when he saw Lucy. I looked at Lucy as she smiled at her uncle.

“Hi”

He smiled and scratched his jaw.

“You are much smaller than I thought you’d be”

He had an accent, and I watched as Lucy’s shoulder’s relaxed.

“Can I hug you?”

She laughed and nodded.

“Of course”

He stepped forward and pulled her into a hug. He pulled away and smiled down at her.

“Let’s walk to the car” I suggested.

He looked at me.

“I’m sorry, excuse my manners. I’m Theo”

I nodded and shook his hand.

“Mattias” I said.

He nodded and I put my hand on Lucy’s shoulder.

“My car is this way”

She looked at me.

“Filip’s driving my car back” I said.

She nodded and the three of us began walking.

“Did you have work today?”

Lucy looked at her uncle and nodded.

“Yes, I kind of rushed from work over here”

He nodded and I stopped in front of her car.

“I can drive” I told her.

She nodded and opened her purse. She moved my jersey and pulled out her keys. She unlocked the car and opened the trunk as well. She placed the jersey and closed it.

“Here you go”

I nodded and opened the door for her. She smiled and thanked me as she got into the car. I closed the door for her and went around as her uncle got into the car. I got into the driver’s seat and let out a deep breath.

“How tired are you?”

I glanced at Theo and shrugged.

“I think I’m more hungry than tired” I admitted.

He chuckled and I nodded as I turned on the car.

“So Lucy”

Lucy shifted to look at her uncle.

“Where did you go to school?”

She smiled.

“UCLA and Vanderbilt”

He hummed.

“What type of engineering did you specializr in?”

I pulled the car out of the parking spot and waved at the workers.

“Architectural”

I heard him hum.

“Do you travel a lot?”

She cocked her head as she asked him.

“From time to time”

She nodded.

“Your Uncle…Nick…How many kids does he have?”

Lucy nodded.

“Three, Angela who is my age and the twins Maia and Nathan who are 18 years old”

He nodded and they talked about his family. Lucy had 4 cousins back in Sweden; Annika (21), Henrik (19), Isak(16), and Max(12). Dinner went on smoothly until he asked how his brother died. Lucy looked at him with wide eyes and he looked at me as I glared at him.

“He died after surgery…. his lung had collapsed and they repared that in surgery. His lung was lacerated and slashed as well. There was only so much he could do besides make sure he went out without any pain”

He nodded.

“They had a DNR?”

Lucy nodded slowly.

“My mom died on impact, as did Drew. I just had a concussion because I was sitting on the side of the car that got less of the impact”

He nodded slowly and I put my arm on her shoulder. I squeezed her shoulder and she looked at me.

“Did he say anything to you before he went?”

I looked at her Uncle and I was about to speak when Lucy squeezed my thigh.

“He told me he loved me and that he would always be watching me. That was when he told me Uncle Nick would be taking me to his home in California where he was going to take care of me. I was going to be fine, that it would hurt but I had to be strong”

Her eyes watered up a bit and she let out a light laugh.

“So Mattias, how long have you been playing hockey?”

I looked at him and glanced at Lucy who was sniffling.

“Since I was a kid, about 4” I stated.

He nodded.

“How old are you?”

“Same age as Lucy” I said.

He nodded and looked at Lucy who was taking a sip of her water.

“I’m going to go retouch my face”

I nodded and stood up so she could get up. She walked away and I took a seat.

“I’m sorry, I needed to know”

I nodded and took a sip of my water.

“Will you be in Sweden during the summer?”

I nodded.

“With Lucy?”

“If she decides to come, yes” I said.

He nodded.

“I want her to meet my parents”

“The parents who told her they wanted to do nothing with her?” I asked.

He looked at me.

“They don’t know that he’s dead”

I shook my head.

“What kind of person tells a 18 year old they want nothing to do with her? Lucy is the strongest person I know, and she did this all with the help of her Uncle Nick” I said.

He nodded slowly.

“Would she want to meet them?”

I looked at him.

“Probably not” I stated.

When he asked Lucy a few minutes later I bit in a smirk as she said she did not want to meet them.
♠ ♠ ♠
One more left! I'll probably post tonight!