Sequel: Something

Like I'm Gonna Lose You

Fem

Lucy’s POV- January 2014
I made my way down the stairs and smiled at the lady behind the front desk. I took a sip of my coffee and made my way over.

“Do you mind if I keep you company?” I asked her as I offered her the cup of coffee I had in my other hand.

She smiled and reached for a chair.

“I never say no to company. Come around and thank you for the coffee. It smells lovely”

I put the mug on the dek counter and let her reach for it as I went around. I put my thermo down on the desk and slipped off my backpack.

“I never asked you, when are you done with school?”

“I’m done in May” I told her as I sat down.

She smiled and took a sip of the coffee.

“Do you have a job after college?”

“Maybe, if all goes well the place I intern at will offer me a job” I told her as I opened my backpack.

I interned for an engineering company, and an A&E who was actually my mentor wanted to be my advisor in a way. He kept hinting out that he wanted me to stay with the company, and that he wanted to teach me his ways. He saw potential in me, and he wanted to help me reach that potential.

“That’s good, got an exam?”

“No, I just need to get some reading done. Danni has company over though” I said shaking my head at her as I opened my notebook.

She smiled.

“The noise canceling headphones were giving me a migraine” I said.

She laughed and nodded.

“I bet, you wear them all the time”

I smiled and pulled out a pen from my backpack.

“How was LA?”

“Warmer, way warmer. It’s nice to be back though” I told her.

She smiled and nodded. I had been in LA for the holidays but I was back for my second to last semester of grad school.

“I’ll let you get started on your reading”

I nodded and she looked back at the computer. About an hour later she turned to me.

“Can you keep watch of the desk while I run to the bathroom?”

I nodded and Maria, the lady in charge of the front desk of the apartment complex stood up. I looked back down at my textbook and hummed as I took notes onto my notebook.

I had been living in this building since July of last year. I would have loved to renew my contract with my old roommate, but she had been asked by her boyfriend to move in with him. He was not the father of her child, but he treated him and Elena so well.

“Hi”

I looked up and smiled at the incredibly handsome man across from me. He had the prettiest blue/grey eyes I had ever laid my eyes on, and he was wearing a suit.

“I have a package?”

I looked at the paper in his hand and nodded.

“I don’t work here, but Maria will be back in a second” I told him.

He nodded and rubbed his face. He let out a yawn and I finished writing a regulation on fire protection.

“If I may ask”

I looked up at him and raised an eyebrow glancing down as I turned the page.

“Yes?” I asked him.

I looked up at him and he offered me a smile.

“Why are you behind the desk if you don’t work here?”

I laughed and he looked at the textbook.

“I need to get some reading done” I told him.

He looked at my textbook and nodded slowly.

“What are you reading?”

“A chapter on fire proection laws and regulations” I said.

He smiled.

“What career requires you to know that?”

“Engineering” I told him.

He raised his eyebrows and nodded. I turned around when I heard Maria speak.

“Mr. Ekholm, sorry to keep you waiting”

He frowned a bit.

“We spoke about this Mrs. Garcia”

He smiled at her and she laughed.

“I’m sorry Mattias”

He nodded.

“Mr. Ekholm is my father”

She smiled and glanced at me. I looked down at my textbook and began taking notes on another regulation.

“How was your roadtrip?”

I put my pen down and pulled my hair up in a ponytail.

“We won 4-3 in a shootout. Josi scored the game winner”

She smiled and nodded.

“Good, Lucy please keep him entertained while I get his package”

I nodded and she excused herself to get his package. He let out another yawn and looked at me.

“How long have you lived in the building?”

“Since July” I said making him nod.

“Where do you go? School wise”

“Vanderbilt” I told him.

He nodded and looked up as Maria made her way over.

“Here you go Mattias”

He smiled and took the package from her.

“Good night, it was nice meeting you Lucy”

I smiled and he walked away to the elevator. Once the elevator door closed Maria nudged me.

“He’s so handsome”

“He’s so tall” I said.

She smiled and nodded. I stood at 5’3, so anyone was taller than me but he was a good 6’3 or 6’4.

“Mija remind me how to pronounce your last name”

My last name is Janzen.

“Yan-sen” I told her.

My lastname was German, but my dad was Swedish. His father was from Germany, where as his mother was Swedish. I never once met my grandparents and I knew they were very much alive. They cut ties with him after they found out he was seeing a woman of color and when he chose to follow his heart and study to be a paleoanthropologist. I tried to get in contact with them when I turned 18. They told me to stay away from them and to not speak to them. They do not know that my dad passed away because I chose not to tell them. I wanted to tell them, but it was obvious they wanted to do nothing with my dad and his family.