Sequel: Something

Like I'm Gonna Lose You

Nio

Lucy’s POV- September 2014
There was a knock on the door and I reached for a hand towel to dry my hands.

“I’m coming” I called out as the doorbell rang.

I made my way to the front door and unlocked as the doorbell rung again. The door was not even fully open yet, and I already had Calle hugging me.

“It’s so good to see you again!”

I had met Calle through Mattias actually. After meeting Mattias in January we started bumping into each other a lot. I had late night classes, and to avoid my roommate I started spending more and more time on campus. I would bump into Mattias in the parking lot, and he finally asked why I was out so late. I told him, and he gave me a spare key to his apartment telling me to go there when I needed a quiet space. I took up on his offer and his one-person couch soon became my study location. If he was napping in the living room then I would use his kitchen table. Calle got traded to Nashville in March, and since I was usually at Mattias’ apartment he talked to me. The Predators did not make playoffs last season, so as soon as the season ended in early April they both flew to Belarus to represent their country in hockey. I graduated in May, and the day I graduated the place I interned at offered me a job. In order to get my license I needed another year of experience and they wanted me to stay with them.

“So you’re staying?”

I nodded and Calle hugged me tighter. He kissed my cheeks and grinned.

“I’d kiss your cheek but then you’ll have a stained cheek. I’m wearing actual lipstick” I told him.

He laughed and nodded.

“I can see that, you look good though”

“Your hair got longer” I stated.

Calle was such a good-looking guy and he refused to cut that horrible hair of his. He would look so much better without the long hair.

“Yea, Mattias told me you’d bring it up”

I nodded slowly.

“A light trim would be really healthy for it” I said.

He frowned.

“Let the flow be”

“I mean if the flow has to look healthy” I stated.

He smiled and shook his head.

“I missed you too Lucy”

I smiled and nodded. He was not planning on letting go until I said it back.

“Missed you too” I said.

He let go of me and stepped inside. I smiled at the face I did not recognize. Mattias had asked if he could bring his new teammate with him. This teammate had played with them at the very end of the season, but I didn’t meet him because I was pretty busy during that time.

“You must be Filip” I said earning a smile from him.

He nodded as I shook his hand. He had a slight baby face, and looked about Mike’s age.

“I’m Lucy, come on in” I told him.

He handed me a bottle of wine and Mattias cleared his throat. I looked up and smiled at him. He smelled and looked great. He usually had some light stubble on his face, but he had none at the moment.

“I made him buy wine”

I shook my head and laughed looking down at the wine.

“I have wine here, my uncle was visiting” I told Mattias.

Filip took the time to squeeze past us as Calle called out his name from the kitchen.

“Well now you have more wine!”

“I guess I do, how are you. Congrats on your medal” I told him as he leaned down to hug me.

Mattias kissed my cheek and hummed against it.

“Thanks, congrats on your job”

I smiled and by instinct I kissed his cheek. I wiped his cheek a bit taking the bright pink tint away.

“Here you thought you were going back to LA…I was right”

I laughed and nodded as he pulled away. I had dropped him and Calle off at the airport in April. Calle said if I moved back to LA he’d see me the next time they were in California. Mattias refused to say goodbye to me. He told me he’d seem me in September.

“It’s been a good year” I told him.

He nodded and looked around with a smile on his face.

“No roommate?”

I shook my head.

“No, I don’t want one at the moment” I said making him laugh.

“You’re not coming around anymore?”

I smiled.

“I might, I might get lonely here on my own. You are all more than welcome to come here now though” I said.

He closed the front door and followed me into the living room. I set the bottle of wine down on the kitchen counter and turned to Calle and Filip who were sitting down on the couches. Calle was already holding the firestick remote.

“Do you guys want water? A beer?” I asked.

Calle looked at me as he waited for Netflix to load.

“What kind of beer do you have?”

I signaled for him to look and he stood up.

“Filip?” I asked.

He turned to me and glanced at Mattias who shrugged.

“Water is fine”

I nodded and Calle said he’d get it.

“Are you good?” I asked Mattias.

He smiled and nodded as his eyes scanned the area.

“I can see your family came to visit”

I rolled my eyes and he laughed. There were 2 stacks of gatorades and water bottles in the hallway. My kitchen was also full of snacks and food.

“What are you making? It smells great”

“Lasagna” I told them.

I turned to Mattias.

“How long was your Uncle here for?”

“We now work for the same company actually. He flew in for a week” I said.

He smiled and nodded.

“That’s nice, did he come alone?”

I shook my head.

“Aunt Mel and the twins came. They don’t start school until next week” I told him.

He nodded.

“That was nice then, you got to enjoy your family here”

I nodded.

“So the empty room helped”

I laughed and nodded.

“Yea, I’ll see them over the holidays” I told him.

He nodded.

“That’s nice, did you renew your lease?”

I nodded.

“Two years” I told him.

He smiled and nodded.

“That’s nice then”

I nodded and I turned when I heard my name. I turned to look at Calle who smiled.

“Luce, when are we meeting the famous Uncle Nick?”

I shrugged.

“Whenever you all are in town” I said.

“We don’t even know how he looks”

I smiled.

“He looks like a man” I said.

“Is he bald?”

I rolled my eyes.

“No” I said.

“You don’t have pictures of your uncle and aunt here”

I smiled.

“Yes I do, but you just don’t know” I said.

The timer went off and I excused myself. Calle followed me and helped me take out the lasagna out from the oven.

“That looks amazing. Marry me Lucy”

I smiled at Calle as he set it down on the counter

“I don’t think your girlfriend will like you hearing that” I told him.

He waved me off.

“Once she tries your cooking she will allow it”

I laughed and Calle looked at me.

“I didn’t know you knew Doc”

I raised an eyebrow.

“Doc?” I asked.

“Eric, our team surgeon”

I looked at Mattias and nodded.

“Yea, him and uncle Nick are actually good friends. He’s also the Uncle of a friend” I said.

Calle hummed.

“Small world”

I nodded and he looked around.

“You finally have wine glasses!”

I nodded.

“Yes, you can stop complaining about it Calle” I said.

He smiled and walked back into the kitchen.

“We can drink some after dinner since I saw you made lemonade”

I nodded and Calle smiled at Filip.

“Lucy’s lemonade is the best”

Well let me get the garlic bread out of the oven and we could eat” I said.

“I got it”

I nodded at Calle as he grabbed an oven mit. I grabbed 4 plates and diningware and followed Mattias to the dining area as he took the lasagna over.

“Filip get the cups”

Filip looked at Mattias as he made his way into the kitchen.

“Calle, tell him where they’re at?”

“I moved them” I said.

“Found them!”

Calle put the garlic bread on the table and smiled.

“Did you make lemonade?”

I nodded.

“I got it, sit down”

Filip set the cups on the table and sat next to my left. Calle set the pitcher on the table and sat down across from Filip.

“How was Sweden? You are all nicely tanned” I asked.

Calle nodded.

“When did you start working?”

“About a month ago” I told him.

He hummed and handed me the spatula. I put his piece of lasagna on his plate and I smiled as he waited for Filip, Mattias and I to have our food before he began eating.

“Were you in California the whole time?”

I shook my head.

“No, I was in LA for a few weeks, then I went to San Jose for a bit. I came to Nashville to fix my lease and once that was settled I went to Columbus for about two weeks” I told them.

Calle nodded and hummed.

“I saw that on your snapchat. Are we going to meet, how do you call her? Toots”

I smiled and nodded.

“Stella was one of my college roommates” I told them.

Calle nodded.

“Why Toots?”

“She’s obsessed with Tootsie Rolls and Pops” I told him.

He nodded.

“She’s a busy bee. She’s actually younger than me, by a year. She skipped a grade, and just started her PsyD program at Ohio State” I told him.

“Are all your friends smart?”

I rolled my eyes and shrugged.

“When did you find out you had a job here?”

“After graduation in May I got the call from my boss. He offered me the job, but he told me I’d start after he got back from his vacation” I said.

I looked at Filip who was eating his food. All three of them were hungry. I filled their cups up with lemonade and reached for a piece of garlic bread. I grabbed my fork and cut up a piece of lasagna.

“How long was he in vacation?”

“I didn’t start until a week and a half ago” I said.

Calle hummed as I ate some food.

“You had a nice vacation as well”

I nodded and we were quiet for a bit as we ate. I reached for my cup of lemonade and took a sip of it. I set the cup down on the table and Calle smiled.

“So, tell us about that date you went out on”

I looked at him and raised an eyebrow. What date did I go on?

“I didn’t go out on any dates Calle” I said.

“Yes you did, you put it on instagram”

“I did no such thing, show me” I told him.

He pulled out his phone and opened up his instagram. He showed me a picture and I leaned forward. It was a picture of a few friends and I at a Dodger game. Uncle Nick was a season ticket holder, but one of my college roommates Maddy worked for the Dodgers and they needed to fill specific seats for the game. She sent me a text and I sent a group text. It was nice to meet up with everyone and get to see some childhood friend as well as college friends.

“Ok, but where does it show I went on a date?” I asked.

Calle shrugged.

“I’m hurt you didn’t tell me”

I laughed and shook my head.

“You’re an idiot” I told him.

He raised an eyebrow.

“Who’s the guy next to you?”

I laughed.

“That’s Mike, he’s Bobbi’s little brother” I told him.

He nodded slowly.

“The girl next to you is Stella?”

I nodded.

“Maddy is sitting next to Mike” I told him

Bobbi, Alex, Angela were sitting on the row below us. Mike was sitting next to me, and Maddy was sitting next to him. Stella was sitting on the other side next to me, and the Twins and Jen, Mike and Bobbi’s stepsister, and Kat, Alex’s little sister were sitting next to her. Above us were Rosa, and her husband Matthew. Next to them were Maddy’s 2 older brothers and Alex’s older brother Chris and his Fiancee Aria. Above them, but not included in the picture were Uncle Nick and Aunt Mel; Jared, Bobbi and Mike’s step dad; and Alex’s parents Alek and Elisabeth.

“Who’s the guy above you?”

“That’s Matthew, his wife, Rosa is sitting next to him” I told him.

He hummed and looked at the picture.

“How did you get that many people to meet up?”

I laughed.

“Free tickets, Maddy works for the Dodgers” I said earning a hum from him.

“What about this one?”

I looked at the picture and rolled my eyes. Mike was sitting in between Alex and I. We were at the beach and I was wearing a bright pink bikini top. Alex was wearing a purple bathing suit and Mike was just wearing Swim trunks. It was captioned “Big Sur, CA”

“Could have fooled me”

I rolled my eyes and he hummed.

“You had fun”

He showed me a picture and I laughed.

“I didn’t know you had a belly button piercing”

I nodded.

“I got it my freshman year of college” I said.

He nodded and Mattias glanced at the picture Calle was showing. Mike had taken this picture. I was picking up Mike’s surfboard when he took this picture, and he actually got a good picture. It was captioned: “ Everybody’s gone surfin’ Surfing U.S.A.

“If I was seeing someone, you would know” I told Calle.

He nodded.

“Good, I need to scare all guys away from you”

I laughed and took a sip of lemonade.

“You’re an idiot” I told him.

He grinned.

“But you love me”

I hummed and he frowned making Filip laugh.

“How old are you?”

I looked at him and Mattias shook his head.

“You don’t ask a woman that Fil”

I smiled.

“I’m 24” I told him.

He nodded, and smiled.

“You’re Ekky’s age”

I looked at Mattias and nodded.

“Yes, we’re the same age” I said.

Filip hummed as Mattias looked at him.

“So do you guys like the lasagna?” I asked them.

Calle nodded with his cheeks slightly shining due to the fact that he was stuffing his face.

“Yes, so good”

I grimaced as he almost drooled. Calle was so handsome, but so not handsome when he ate. How could someone so attractive like him, look like that while eating?

“Are you coming to one of our games?”

I shrugged.

“If I’m free” I told them.

Mattias looked at me.

“You’re out of work at 5, Games don’t stat till like 7”

I looked at him.

“Sometimes, not all the times. We have meetings after” I told him.

He nodded.

“Do you work weekends?”

“I work some weekends” I told him.

Mattias nodded and Calle frowned.

“You went to a couple of playoff games…your snapchat and instagram showed that”

I nodded as Filip looked at his teammates/friends

“I did go to a couple of Playoff games in LA this summer. I was free though” I said.

Calle huffed.

“I’m hurt that you wore a Kings jersey”

Mattias looked at me a bit surprised and I laughed.

“He’s lying, I did not wear a Kings jersey” I told him.

Mattias nodded slowly.

“I’d be really offended if you did”

I laughed.

“Uncle Nick is a Kings season ticket holder” I said.

Calle and Mattias clutched their chests making Filip giggle. I rolled my eyes at how dramatic they were being. Mattias sat up and looked at me.

“You will go to a hockey game by the end of the season Lucille”

I laughed and shook my head at him.

“My name is not short for anything Hans” I said.

Calle laughed and Mattias looked at me.

“I googled you” I told him.

Calle snapped his fingers.

“So I got really bored and decided to stalk your instagram”

I laughed and nodded. He had liked all my pictures and commented emojis on most of them. That’s why he knew I went to some playoff games in LA.

“Lucy was a gymnast”

He grinned.

“You even won a few NCAA titles”

“We don’t speak of those 4 years” I told him.

Calle pulled out his phone and opened up instagram. He handed Mattias the phone and smiled.

“What did you specialize in?”

“Vault and Floor. We don’t talk about that though” I said.

Mattias grinned and looked at me.

“You look so small here”

He showed me a picture of Angela and I. We both had our arms cross and were looking at something. It was captioned #tbt to 2012 Super Six.

“Is this Angela?”

I nodded.

“Yea” I said.

Calle nodded.

“She’s in Texas right?”

I nodded.

“Yea, in Dallas” I said.

“What does she do?”

“She’s a Nurse practioner” I told him.

He nodded.

“I’m going to pretend I know what that is”

I laughed and Mattias grinned.

“You’re still small”

He smiled.

“I guess that explains your height”

I laughed.

“Not all of us could be giant and play hockey” I told him.

He just laughed and ate his food.

I received a Jarnkrok, Ekholm and Forsberg (Once he made the team) jerseys that week. Mattias was a great friend, and I admit he was a gorgeous man. He didn’t seem interested in me, and although seeing him literally made my heart skip a beat I didn’t want to lose the nice friendship I had with him.