Status: Christmas One-Shot for the glorious Princess Nikki

All I Want for Christmas

Make Christmas a Little More Complete

It didn’t take much begging for Kylee to convince her best friend to come visit her for Christmas. Since none of the blonde’s family was coming to visit her in the foreign city, Nikki was offered an all-paid pass to South Korea. Of course, Nikki would pay her friend back; she wouldn’t accept it for it free, regardless if Kylee fought her on it—which was sure to happen.

Kylee had moved to Seoul two years after her college graduation when a position opened as Assistant Producer for KBS World’s entertainment block. She had left her other dream employment—RFD-TV in Nashville—behind to begin her work internationally. While she was in Seoul, she didn’t expect to find love. She had though and acted upon it despite what employers and friends said.

Nikki had told her to go for it, but be cautious. Two years after they had become secretly official, Kylee Burcham and Siwon Choi’s relationship was splayed out to the public after someone within KBS had leaked pictures of the two to other media outlets. Kylee and Siwon fought for their right to be with who they pleased, Kylee to keep her job in the media and Siwon refusing to obey his agents and fans. The events over the last few months were dying down, though Kylee still received the occasional death threat for dating one of South Korea’s hottest heartthrobs.

Nikki promised she’d leave her teaching job and come annihilate all the crazy fans for her friend’s happiness. She didn’t care if Siwon was a top celebrity or a janitor—if her friend had actually decided to quit thinking about her career for five minutes and say yes to dating a guy, he was worth it.

Nikki had just started teaching English and Literature at a high school in Seattle. Proudly graduated from college, she was excited to spend her first Christmas break as a teacher in South Korea. Kylee promised to set her up with TESL position if she liked the country enough. She also promised to set her up with a Korean man if one wandered into the Bengali girl’s attention.

Nikki was an exotic, short woman with olive skin and dark hair that fell past her shoulders. Her eyes were large and hazel colored and if turned your way without a smile on full lips, they were intimidating. However, when she smiled her whole face lit up though the smile did not always manage to reach her eyes.

Those eyes searched the busy airport for a familiar blonde head. She was towing along her purple suitcase with her flowered backpack on thin shoulders. She was barely over five feet, even with the heels she wore, and it was difficult to look over the heads of milling crowds.

“Niknik!” The shriek made her turn and she barely had any time to turn before she was engulfed in a bear hug that practically lifted her off her feet. “You made it! Oh my goodness, I’m so happy I can’t even right now!”

Nikki let her best friend hug out her emotions and continue to babble until she was finally released. “You’re such a basic white girl,” Nikki said flatly. Kylee continued to smile despite her friend’s lack of returned excitement. Because her own goofy smile eventually made one pass over the shorter girl’s face. “Thank you for flying me here.”

“Of course!” said Kylee and turned to the side, gesturing to a tall man who lingered behind them.

Nikki instantly recognized him as Choi Siwon, actor and member of longtime K-Pop group Super Junior. Siwon had never been a favorite of Nikki’s, though she could not deny that he was unbelievably handsome. But he was almost too handsome, too perfect. He had a six pack of abs which had to be photo-shopped(they very well could be because she had never seen them in person), angular jawline with a square chin, and deep brown eyes that held a sexy innocence to them that made Nikki want to sneer. He was just as pretty in person, with a thin blanket of scruff along his jaw and underneath his nose. His teeth were as perfect as his possibly photo-shopped abs, straight and white and sparkling, as he beamed nearly as purely as his girlfriend.

Siwon held out his hand, adding the ceremonial dip of the head in greeting. Nikki to his large hand, letting engulf her small ones. “Its so nice to finally meet you,” said Siwon, his English accented, but otherwise completely understandable.

“You too,” Nikki kept her tone light, but she was analyzing this man’s every move and concurring whether he was good enough for Kylee. No doubt he could be, but Kylee was known to focus a little too much on physical attributes rather than emotional. However, if they had been together for over two years, there was a chance the emotional turmoil would have come to the surface by now.

The drive from the airport to Kylee’s apartment was a long one, especially with traffic crowding over the noon hour. Siwon drove with ease, chatting away to Nikki about her life and career and the kids she taught. Kylee decided it was time to bother Nikki with the details of a previously unspoken Christmas party.

“Party?” Nikki’s voice rose an octave and she looked over her shoulder where Kylee sat in the backseat. Kylee had demanded Nikki sit in the front and it was now so obvious—so Nikki couldn’t hit her.

“Yeah,” Kylee chirped. “I’m in charge of putting it all together this year. It’ll be at our office and there will be a lot of VIPs there. You’ll have a blast!” Nikki’s face showed she was thinking the opposite. “I’m not going to put you into any positions you don’t want to be in. There will be food and there’s plenty of places you can run off to if you need to be alone. But there’s going to be some people there you’ll totally want to meet.”

“Like Jung Woosung,” said Siwon, eyeing his girlfriend in the rearview.

Kylee slapped the headrest of the driver’s seat. “Oh my God, Siwon, it was one time! Let it go!”

Nikki looked between the couple, curiosity lightening her eyes. She knew of Kylee’s unyielding crush on the high profile Korean actor, Jung Woosung. He was nearing fifty now, but Nikki doubted Kylee’s feelings for him still ran rampant. But it was just a harmless celebrity crush. Still, Nikki was curious. “What was one time?”

Kylee shot her boyfriend a heated look. “Don’t.”

Siwon’s grin showed he would ignore her, but he wouldn’t meet her eye. “We had a big A-list party after hyung and I’s movie Rampant did so well opening night. Kylee had a little too much to drink.”

“Siwon.”

“Next thing I know she drops in his lap, pledges her undying love to him, and kisses him.”

“Siwon!” Kylee whined, hanging her head. “We promised never to speak of this again!”

Nikki’s mouth was hanging open. “You kissed Jung Woosung? Oh my God, how was it?”

Kylee whirled around in her seat and smirked. “Amazing.” Siwon glared at her; she responded with a wink. “Tongue and everything.”

“I should have been jealous,” said Siwon.

Kylee rubbed his shoulders, smugness turning to sickening cuteness. “Yes, but you know I was just being a drunken floozy.”

“Drunken words are sober thoughts,” Nikki piped up. Kylee glared at her. “Just saying.”

The blonde turned back to Siwon. “You’re about fifteen years younger than him anyway.”

“So I won’t die as quickly.”

“And you’re fresher in bed.”

“TMI, guys,” hissed Nikki, but noted Siwon throwing a look of startled annoyance.

Kylee cackled, even when he jerked his hand away. “Don’t worry. Siwon and I haven’t had sex yet.”

Nikki’s eyebrows raised. “You guys have been dating for two years.”

“Not until we know we’re for sure for each other,” said Kylee. “Though I’m pretty sure I know…”

“Not until after we’re married,” said Siwon, leaving little room for discussion.

“I know, I know…” Kylee sighed. “So…what do you want to see first?” she asked Nikki with a grin.

--

Nikki had a full list of what she wanted to see in the two weeks she spent in Seoul. Visit an authentic Korean BBQ place(how more authentic could it get then eating at one in Korea), find the perfect blood sausage, go to a Buddhist temple and Bukchon Hanon Village, and shop and drive around as much as possible. Simple, really.

With Kylee’s adventurous spirit and Siwon living in Seoul his whole life, scratching items off Nikki’s wish list was a breeze. They spread out the time over a whole week with Nikki spending quality alone time with Kylee’s two dogs in the small apartment while Kylee was at work with KBS and Siwon was off doing fan signings/interviews/filming. Nikki didn’t need a babysitter; if she got too bored, she would walk around several blocks and get more of a feel for the city.

When Kylee wasn’t at work, she was busy helping plan the KBS Christmas party. The guest lists, the menu, the security. For some reason, no one seemed as passionate and as go-getter as the blonde American woman whose voice would drop ungodly low if you dare tell her something wasn’t done when she thought it should be. Nikki helped with what she could, offering her opinion when it was asked, but generally she helped keep her best friend sane by cleaning the apartment(it looked like Kylee hadn’t dusted in weeks, maybe even months) and organizing everything from kitchen utensils to the clothes in Kylee’s closet.

Kylee didn’t mind. She was too nervous and excited to worry about such a thing as cleaning. She had to find the perfect outfit and refused for Nikki to pay for her own. She refused for Nikki to refuse to go to this splendid party. Everyone was going including Nikki. She had no choice. As much as she tried to argue, they bantered back and forth, ending on a negotiation that if Nikki was having the lousiest time, Kylee would call a cab for her to go anywhere else she wanted until the party was over and Kylee could return to the apartment.

The meeting hall of KBS was packed with staff and celebrity faces. They walked among each other, sharing laughs and snippets of gossip as they sipped at wine and munched on hors d'oeuvres. Nikki stood among them, being introduced by Kylee to familiar and up-and-coming stars. Members of BIGBANG, Jung Joon Young, Lee Jung Jae, BTS, Han Jimin, Super Junior, the list went on forever. By the time they reached Jung Woosung, Nikki’s head was spinning with all the names and faces she met. Despite the social disorientation, she still had to bite her tongue at bringing up Kylee’s love for the middle aged actor. He was too charming besides.

“Oh, and Park Sungwoong is here as well.” Kylee bowed in greeting to the other forty-something Korean actor who stood beside Woosung. “Thank you for coming to our party.”

Sungwoong dipped his head, offering a smile that did not even hope to reach his eyes. “Its been awhile since I’ve been to a party; Woosung told me you threw good ones.”

Kylee beamed at the compliment and bowed again. “Thank you so much. I try really hard.”

“It must be the American side of her,” said Siwon as he came to stand beside his girlfriend. Sungwoong and Woosung both agreed.

Kylee tugged Nikki along with her, demanding that she come along and ask the caterers how everything was going for consumption numbers. When the answers came back positive, Kylee sighed with relief.

“You’re always thinking about food,” Nikki stated, taking a glass of sparkling grape juice from an offered tray.

“Of course,” Kylee replied and sighed. “I’m surprised Sungwoong showed up; he’s hardly been in the public eye for a year now.”

Nikki’s thick eyebrows furrowed as she tasted the juice’s tartness on her tongue. “Why’s that?”

A look of pity crossed Kylee’s features as she looked across the room where she had left Siwon with the two older men. “His wife left him, divorced him without much reason other than he wasn’t around enough—which is stupid in my opinion. Then, she decides to fight this big, long custody battle for their son. Of course, being the mother, she won. Sungwoong’s hardly gotten to see his son this last year and it’s tore him up so bad.”

Nikki lowered the glass from her lips, her own sense of melancholy darkening her face. “That’s so sad. He doesn’t seem like a bad person.” Honestly, she had no idea what kind of person he was like, but she had watched countless movies and interviews with the man and he always seemed so vibrant and happy. Now, he looked like the shell of the man she used to watch. It deadened her heart.

The Christmas party stretched on through the night with people drifting in and out. Nikki had found a corner of the room to avoid as much social contact as possible. She stood next to one of the floor-to-ceiling windows with a view of Seoul’s winking lights below them. Her dark tresses fell down her shoulders in waves. The dress adorning her frame was black and fell to her knees. Her shoulders were covered by a wine-colored cardigan, as festive as Nikki wanted to look tonight. Unlike Kylee who was sporting a deep green dress with a bright red shawl layered in a pattern of holly leaves and reindeer. Her blonde hair was over one shoulder, pinned back with a large, sparkling holly beret.

Nikki smirked, watching her best friend intermingle with all her company’s guest in her Christmas-y attire. Kylee cared little if she looked like a dork or not, Nikki knew that. It was kind of cute…in an odd way.

“Ignoring social interjections?” Sungwoong approached slowly, seeming almost ready to turn on his heel and walk the other way if Nikki decided to reject his conversational piece.

Nikki nodded and turned back to the window. “Its hard to talk to people when you don’t really know anyone…”

"So you're all alone then too?"

Nikki shrugged and sipped at the sparkling grape juice in a wine glass. "Kylee's throwing a party with her perfect boyfriend and I'm not really into parties anyway."

"Me neither," said Sungwoong. Nikki looked at him incredulously. The older man sipped at his wine. "At least not anymore."

Nikki cocked her head to the side, dark hair falling over her shoulder. "I'm sorry."

Sungwoong knew what she was apologizing for; everyone did it. Instead, he smiled at her with his eyes crinkling into slits. White teeth that matched the glimmer of holiday lights hanging everywhere. "Then, why don't the two of us not be into this Christmas party together?"

Ease swept over him when he saw her smile, teeth and all. “That sounds nice.”

Sungwoong looked over his shoulder at the crowds still meandering around the room. “I don’t think anyone would miss us…there’s a 24-hour coffee shop down the block. Since its after midnight, it’ll be mostly empty.”

“Sounds like my kind of place,” said Nikki and placed her glass on the window sill. “Lead the way, Mr. Park.” Honestly, Nikki just wanted out of the stuffy room with people judging her every move. Plus, the Christmas music playing from the piano in the corner was setting her teeth on edge. She doubted she would be able to escape Christmas carols no matter where she went, even in Korea.

The two of them snuck out of room, going through a side entrance where the caterers were passing through. They swept through the kitchen and out into the hallway. His dress shoes and her heels clacked on the tiled floor as they neared the elevator. When they were safely inside the metal box, both sighed audibly, and then looked at one another. They both felt like they had just did something rebellious and the look on their faces showed they were sharing the same experience. Nikki’s giggle echoed Sungwoong’s chuckle, but it came up short when she realized what was happening.

She was sneaking out of her best friend’s business Christmas party to go to a coffee shop at one in the morning with Park Sungwoong. The Park Sungwoong. Well-established Korean actor and unbelievably attractive man, even for his age. He had a nice jawline, high cheekbones, and a face that could either look like he was about to tear your throat out or pose the most angelic smile one had ever seen. His eyes were small, nearly closing when he grinned, and it gave him this sense of innocence that did not come around often with forty-eight year old man.

Nikki had a crush on him, that was a given. How could you not? Though she hadn’t reached obsessive level like Kylee had with Woosung(Nikki would never let that go), it was still hard to suddenly not feel self-conscious or jittery when standing next to such a specimen as fine as Park Sungwoong.

The elevator felt like it may take the rest of the night to reach the ground floor. By that time, the party would be over and people would catch them in their devilish act of ditching. When they finally reached the ground floor, there was no one around except for the security working late to make sure anyone not on the guest list would not be invited inside.

The small team of four bowed as Sungwoong and Nikki exited through the glass doors and into the cold of Seoul’s Christmas Eve. Smog and city lights dimmed the stars above their heads, hiding them from sight. The street that ran along KBS’ headquarters was quiet as it neared one in the morning, though the sounds of city life were still heard from far off.

Sungwoong started conversation with his calming, deep droll. He asked more about Nikki’s choice in career, where she lived, and how she and Kylee had met. Many shops had closed for the holiday, but the coffee shop Sungwoong had mentioned stood with bright lights falling through windows, almost like a welcoming smile into its warm embrace.

They walked up to the counter where a perky teenage girl took their order, scribbling their designated tastes on cups of coffee before passing them to the barista. She reminded Nikki of Kylee and the Bengali felt a twinge of guilt for leaving her friend’s party. Then, she looked at Sungwoong, listening to his deep purr when he ordered and his handsome and she really didn’t feel so guilty. Sungwoong looked like he needed to just talk to someone and Nikki was more than willing to listen.

Sungwoong asked where Nikki thought it best to sit; she picked out a booth in the corner, farthest away from the door and the cold draft that blew in whenever a late night prowler—much like themselves—wandered in. Sungwoong shed of his suit jacket, loosened his tie, rolled up his sleeves; without the movie makeup, Nikki saw the blemishes of exhaustion on his face. Dark circles beneath his eyes, he looked like he had aged considerably. Of course, he was still very handsome.

The barista, a flirtatious woman who was about the same age as Nikki, brought them their orders: Nikki, a hazelnut latte frozen with whipped cream and Sungwoong, an Americano with two extra shots of espresso. She hung around to ask Sungwoong specifically if she could do anything else for him. Sungwoong blatantly told her no, never taking his eyes off Nikki, who sipped at her drink with her own gaze falling out the window. The barista finally got the message and turned on her heel with a huff.

“So tell me why you chose teaching?” Sungwoong continued their conversation.

Nikki sat her cup down, licking her lips at the taste of hazelnut. “When I was younger, I never really had anyone to look up to and help me through high school. I decided to that along with sharing my love for writing and reading with younger generations. I like being there for kids that need it.”

Sungwoong raised his eyebrows. “That’s very generous of you.”

Nikki shrugged, mixing around her drink with a straw. “It’s what every teacher and adult should do for their kids.”

“I try to do that for my son,” said Sungwoong.

“I bet he’s adorable,” Nikki smiled.

“He is,” agreed Sungwoong, his own smile coming across his face. “Every time I get to see him, he looks like he’s grown more and more.”

Nikki quirked her mouth, eyes dropping to the table surface. “I heard about what happened with you and your wife. That’s really sucky parenting on her part, if you don’t me saying. You don’t seem like you would be a bad dad.”

“I appreciate you thinking that,” Sungwoong chuckled, but there was no humor. “It’s Christmas and I don’t even get to spend it with my family, my son.”

“Well, I’m not spending it with my family either, if that makes you feel better.”

“We’re spending it together,” Sungwoong said and touched his cup to Nikki’s. “Two people alone with anyone to spend Christmas with. It’s perfect.” Nikki agreed with a smile and repeated his action. “So tell me more about yourself.”

“What about you tell me about you?” Nikki egged lightly.

Sungwoong shrugged, turning his coffee cup around and around on the table. “Everything there is to know about me can be found on Google. You, not so much.”

Nikki sighed heavily. “There’s things about me I prefer not to share.”

“Then, don’t share them. Tell me the things you do want to share. Tell me about your writing, your love for reading, what’s your favorite thing to do, secrets I need to know about Kylee Burcham.”

“She’s in love with Jung Woosung,” Nikki snickered.

Sungwoong flashed his teeth and waved a nonchalant hand. “Everyone knows that after last year’s party. But everyone knows her and Choi Siwon will probably get married. They’re two very good people who are even better together.”

“I can agree to that,” said Nikki. “I didn’t think I would because Siwon seemed like Mr. Perfect Douchebag, but Kylee seemed to water him down a little.”

The two continued to talk long into the night, past Devil’s Hour of 3AM and multiple missed phone calls from Kylee. The more Sungwoong and Nikki talked about life’s vices and few blessings, the harder Nikki’s logical mind worked. Sungwoong was a glorious god of both physical and emotional stipulations. He had a kind heart and a pure soul. The fact that is wife was treating him so poorly and keeping him from his son—who he obviously loved dearly the more he talked—hurt Nikki’s own chipped heart.

As for Sungwoong’s interpretation of the Bengali-American woman sitting across from him, he felt the same. She had been broken many times, but hid it behind a straight face and a stout will. Bullshit was no option, but neither was being a selfish person. Her brokenness made her susceptible to others shattered remains. Despite her hard exterior, she had good intentions. If you had her loyalty, you had worked hard to deserve it. She was strong, independent, and fearless. Something about all that made Sungwoong’s night a little warmer, a little more complete.

Around the tenth time Nikki’s phone buzzed, she decided it best to answer. “Yes?”

“Where the hell are you?” Nikki had to remove the phone from her ear because Kylee’s voice had reached a painful octave. “I have called you a hundred fucking times and texted you and you weren’t answering!”

“Yes, I know,” Nikki replied calmly, glancing at Sungwoong whose face showed a flicker of humor. “Sorry, I decided to go get some air and time slipped away from me.”

“Where are you?” Kylee’s words still lacked any ease. “We’ll come pick you up.”

“Tell her that won’t be necessary,” Sungwoong spoke up. “I’ll make sure you make it home.”

“Sungwoong said it won’t be necessary; he’ll bring me back,” Nikki repeated.

“Sungwoong? You’re with Park Sungwoong?” Kylee’s tone had changed from rage to raging curiosity. “Did he kidnap you?”

“If kidnapping means inviting me out for coffee, then yes.” Nikki smiled slightly and Sungwoong chuckled. “I’m fine. Go home. I’ll see you in the morning.”

Kylee’s sigh sent stadic in Nikki’s ear. “Alright…But if you’re not back by morning, I’m going to freak out and hunt Sungwoong down.”

“Alright, I’ll tell him that,” said Nikki. “Goodnight.” Before Kylee could argue anymore, she hit “End”. “Sorry about that; Kylee likes to find opportunities to freak out.”

“I’d be worried too if my best friend came to visit in a foreign country and then disappeared and didn’t answer their phone,” defended Sungwoong lightly. He checked his watch. “I suppose Kylee had a reason behind calling, its almost four. Shall we go?”

“Sure,” Nikki grabbed both their cups and threw them away while Sungwoong shrugged his jacket back on.

When she returned, he was calling a cab. “They’ll be here in about five minutes.”

“Awesome.” Nikki managed to flash her teeth before her smile became timid again. “I really appreciated this. It was a lot more fun than standing alone at the party.”

“I’m sure you wouldn’t have been standing alone,” said Sunwoong. “A lot of young, good looking Korean men would have stopped to talk to you.”

Nikki snorted. “I doubt that.”

“You’re beautiful so I don’t see why. You’d shut them down quick, I’m sure.”

Nikki nodded. “I would,” she said bluntly.

Sungwoong stuffed his hands in his pockets, holiday lights illuminating his face and leaving a star-speckled reflection in his dark eyes. “It’s you I should be thanking. You were very good company, an excellent listener. I think I may have fallen in love with you a little bit.”

At those words, Nikki’s cheeks flared. “Oh, well…thank you.”

Sungwoong offered a small smile. “Forgive me for being so forward-“

“Well, the feelings mutual so…” Nikki wanted to dart right out the door when those words left her mouth. “I mean…yeah. Okay.” She glanced out the glass door to see the taxi pulling up on the curb. “Oh, good. The taxi’s here.”

The two of them made their way into the cold. Nikki shivered; she’d forgotten her coat back at KBS. Sungwoong was quick to whip off his suit jacket and drape it over her shoulders. She tried to reject it, but he refused to let her remove it.

“You don’t need to get sick while on vacation,” said Sungwoong and opened the taxi door for her.

Nikki thanked him softly and slid into the backseat. Sungwoong followed her into the car. The ride to Kylee’s apartment was quiet, but not uncomfortable. Both were lost in separate thoughts, conjuring logic to combat emotion. Sungwoong had an elbow propped on the door, finger pressed to his lips as he stared at the passing scenery of shops and businesses. Nikki had her legs crossed tightly, hands folded in her lap. Her eyes were intent on the back of the driver’s seat. Both were uncertain what to do next.

When the cab pulled in front of the apartment building, Sungwoong escorted Nikki to the front door. “I really did enjoy tonight,” he said.

“So did I,” said Nikki, revealing a content simper. “Would you like your jacket back?”

She went to remove it, but—again—Sungwoong stopped her. “Its cold going up the elevator,” he said and Nikki giggled. Sungwoong let out a long breath before taking her chin in his hand. His thumb ran along her jaw, eyes locking. Then, he leaned down and pressed his lips to hers. It was soft, innocent, but so meaningful. Nikki froze in mild surprise, but she didn’t want to move away either. Sungwoong’s lips felt perfect, like they were supposed to be there.

Too quickly, they were pulled apart when the taxi driver honked his horn impatiently. Nikki’s cheeks were burning and she was grateful for the lack of light on the street.

Sungwoong cleared his throat and said, “I’d like to see you again before you leave.”

Nikki made her brain kick start again and nodded quickly. “I’d like that, to see you again. Before I leave.”

Sungwoong’s smile stretched across his face. “We’ll see you then.” His hand touched her cheek, which was still felt scalding hot from Nikki’s end before he descended the steps to the sidewalk and climbed in the taxi. Nikki watched the taxi go down the street before the turned to open the door. A shriek passed her lips when she came face-to-face with Kylee, who was standing right inside the entry way of the apartment building. She was grinning and Nikki knew she had a lot of explaining to do.

When she came through the doors, Kylee wrapped her arms around her best friend’s shoulders. “Oh my goodness! You got Sungwoong for Christmas! That’s so cute!” Nikki began towards the elevator while Kylee continued to babble “Tell me all about it. What’s he like? Where’d he take you? Did he-”

Nikki turned sharply to the blonde. “Kylee!”

Kylee stopped short, blue eyes wide as she thought she had overstepped some form of unknown boundary. “Yes?”

Nikki’s glaring expression broke into a sincere smile. “Merry Christmas,” she said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Merry Christmas to my dearest friend, the demon kitten alien anti-Christ, Princess Nikki. I hope this dose of cute Sungwoong was to your liking. <3