Made Up Stories.

Personality.

‘I’d love to do that, I like to think I can write, but I can’t play a thing, I’d learn, don’t get me wrong, but damn that would be so cool’ Jack grinned ‘sorry, yes, your job is cool’ ‘thank you, why don’t you, I can teach you, we can work together, I was supposed to be working on something but it fell through’ ‘are you sure?’ ‘If you can write, sure’ ‘thank you’ ‘no need’ he grinned, ‘so, I’m Jack’ ‘oh, sorry, Lucy, that must have taken dedication for a job like that’ ‘thank you, but it was my idea, it’s my fault’ laughing, ‘what a fault to be’ laughing together at a dinner party, ‘what do you do, Lucy?’ ‘Oh, well, nothing terribly exciting I’m afraid to say, I work in date entry’ ‘oh, dear God’ ‘yeah, I know, it’s a job where you have to be educated and happy to die by lunch’ Jack laughing, ‘I love that’ giggling together, drinking more wine.

Jack called her on a Saturday morning, remembering she was off, ‘hello?’ ‘It’s Jack, from the dinner party’ ‘I remember’ ‘I wondered if you wanted to do something’ ‘sure, I have poems, do you think that’s okay’ ‘yes, yes, that should be alright’ ‘I trust you, I don’t now anyone else in your kind of work’ laughing a little, ‘okay, right then, I’ll bring some journals’ ‘where can I meet you? I’ll have my guitar’ ‘hmm, why don’t you come over to my place, that might be for the best’ ‘okay’ sending him the address, ‘oh, there’s a bar in Charles Court, Jack drinks on me after’ ‘okay then’ he grinned. Jack smiled getting to her apartment, ‘hey’ ‘hey’ ‘come in, do you like burritos’ ‘love burritos’ ‘good, I was cooking them when you called, thought you might like something’ he grinned ‘thank you’ ‘no need, well, least I could’ laughing a little, getting comfy.

‘I like this one, I guess you gotta start somewhere, I was in choirs, so I’m hoping I can sing’ Jack laughing, ‘you’ll be fine’ ‘this was such a silly idea’ ‘you can do it’ he grinned, ‘sorry, yeah’ Lucy smiled, ‘but I know your history and I can take it and when you talk in code to me, I can translate it’ Jack grinned blending with her, ‘we’re speaking in our native, speaking in our native tongue’. ‘The chorus is a bit simple’ ‘Lucy, that was really good’ ‘Lucy?’ ‘Lucy is too long’ ‘Lucy’s fine, I like it’ ‘good’ he grinned, ‘got any more’ ‘a few’ she smiled. ‘You weren’t taught respect, a sense of values or the equivalent’ Jack grinned as she followed his tune, ‘you wouldn’t listen anyway we can laugh and joke about your next victim, but when you’re all grown up your daughter cries, you’ll be sorry you did this’.

-x-

‘Where are you off to?’ Alex asked, ‘me and a friend are working on some stuff, it’s sort of young, but as Tyler is now busy, I have stuff tucked away, melodies that I can use’ he grinned, ‘I look forward to hearing what you’re doing’ ‘she’s just getting into writing, she’s using poetry and adapting it, so far it’s good’ ‘you’ll have to introduce me, I can help’ ‘I will’. Lucy smiled packing up quickly, ‘where are you off to so fast?’ ‘I just have found a hobby’ ‘oh, cool, have a good time, have you done it all?’ ‘Yeah, it’s not so bad today’ ‘wow’ ‘haha’ getting out before she saw that new pile of work delivered and got to her car, throwing everything in the back and heading back home, getting some pizza begun and feeding the cat who was always in her apartment and didn’t seem to belong to anyone, heading for the lounge and preparing for Jack.

Lucy smiled, ‘you’ve been acting awful tough lately’ Jack grinned, ‘I am not a robot..you’re so loveable, you’re just troubled, guess what I’m not a robot’ Jack grinned as she got into it, ‘better to be hated than loved for what you’re not’ Lucy smiled finishing, ‘is that okay? ‘I love that’ ‘thank you, I wrote it for my little sister’ she smiled, ‘do you have a mad family’ ‘not really, my parents are in the Lebanon’ ‘you are an unopened book, Jack’ seeing him laugh, ‘thank you, I think’ ‘I don’t know if you’re my friend, or colleague and of course you don’t have to tell me anything you don’t feel comfortable to, okay then, wanna do more?’ Jack looked at her, ‘of course you’re my friend’ ‘oh, cool, awesome, that’s good’ he grinned, ‘thank you’ ‘you have many friends’ ‘a couple of real good ones, it’s the one you know you can talk to at 3am, those one’ ‘I know’.

Jack hummed, ‘what’s up?’ ‘If I called you at 3am, would you talk to me?’ ‘Yeah, course I would, you’re my best friend’ ‘good’ ‘why?’ ‘My friend Lucy, she said those are your real friends’ ‘she’s the one who you’re working with’ ‘she is, yes’ Alex nodded, ‘sounds like someone who needs more friends’ ‘you know, I think she’s on an island sometimes, we met at a dinner party and stuff, so she must have friends, but I think she was a neighbour of the people’ Alex laughed, ‘I think you met at the right time’. Lucy worked down the data pile and got out, ‘you’re leaving’ ‘my work is done’ ‘oh, right’ seeing it done, Lucy smiled, ‘I’ll see you tomorrow’ ‘course’ heading for the music store. Lucy looked around ‘what would you like?’ ‘An acoustic’ Lucy murmured, getting one and getting some guides, sitting down at home and beginning to figure it out.

-x-

‘You say you adore me, but your lips tell a story I’ve heard before’ Jack grinned, ‘and damn boy you must think I’m dumb, if you don’t think I don’t know the shit you’ve done’ Lucy smirked, ‘you say you really wanna change but all you do is talk and walk the same way’. ‘You alright?’ ‘This is such good therapy sometimes’ he smiled, ‘you are an iceberg’ ‘I like to think more of myself as an Eisenberg, Jack, they are hill that appear out of nowhere, I don’t know where the anger comes from’ Jack smiled, ‘anyway’ ‘we must call the EP that’ Lucy laughed, ‘I like that, deal’ giggling together, ‘what do we have so far?’ ‘We have about eight including that one’ she nodded, ‘okay, is the enough, do we do more’ ‘you can do that, it’s a long EP, mini album’ she nodded, ‘I’d like about five’ ‘that’s okay then which ones’ talking together and picking favourites.

Jack grinned, ‘so, Talk, I Am Not A Robot, Native Tongue, Respect, Kill Em With Kindness’ ‘I like that selection, how about you?’ ‘I think they are your best so far’ ‘thank you’ ‘no need’ he grinned, ‘are you okay?’ Jack asked, ‘yeah, I’m fine, just, the word is such a big place and lately I’ve been feeling it strangle me, that’s all’ Jack smiled, ‘you’re depressed’ ‘I don’t want to be so clinical about it, I’ve been feeling better since doing this’ he grinned, ‘I’m glad, you should meet my friend Alex’ ‘he’s not single is he, people keep setting me up, we wre a setup, I think’ ‘were we?’ ‘I don’t know, I told my parents cos they keep pestering me about grandkids, I’d met you, just so they would leave me alone’ Jack laughed, ‘wow’ ‘I’m sorry, I don’t mean to lie and involve you in it, just, I feel the pressure’ ‘you are not alone’ ‘thank you’ he smiled.

Lucy smiled, ‘you must be Alex’ ‘you must be Lucy’ ‘only Jack calls me that, but yes that’s me’ laughing a little, ‘so, you write everything?’ ‘Yyeah, well, Jack says if it doesn’t sound right, he obliterated my chorus for Talk’ Alex laughing, ‘it was bad, it needed a hook’, ‘I don’t know what that means, but it needed a hook’ nodding her head knowingly, Alex laughing with her. Jack smiled as she rested her head, Jack putting an arm round her, ‘I think I’m going to write songs next time, I just have some ideas, we’ll make this and then it’s time to step it up, this is kiddy’s steps’ ‘good name for an EP’ ‘call the next one an Eiselberg, cos it’s going to be’ he grinned, ‘fine by me’ holding her, ‘thank you’ ‘no need’ ‘do you think we can play this live?’ Jack grinned, ‘I think we can handle it’ ‘I also think we need a drummer’ Jack looked at her, ‘wow’ laughing together.

-x-

6 months later:-

‘We’ll be tearing up the streets, running with the wild things’ walking into the crowd on a platform, ‘we’re a band called Tragedies, let’s do this’ Jack grinned, ‘hey whatever, do you remember it’s me old whatshername?’ Lucy striding and getting into the support slot. Jack grinned, ‘you looked good out there’ ‘that’s good cos I was shitting myself’ Lucy murmured, ‘I’ll be right back’. Lucy sat on the bathroom floor, a bottle of Jameson’s in between her knees rubbing her face a little, Jack looked in, ‘Lucy’ ‘I’m fine’ ‘it smells like sick and you have a bottle of whiskey and you, you are a lightweight’ sitting with her, ‘not opened though’ ‘I don’t know if I can do this’ she smiled, ‘we’ll be alright’ ‘yeah we will’ she murmured resting her head on the wall, Jack took the drink, ‘I’ll take care of you’ ‘it’s all you do, I’m just coasting’.

Lucy smiled doing an acoustic backstage Jack playing the guitar, ‘don’t have the time to bend another church boy’s mind again’ singing softly, ‘I’m not a saint, a sage, someone who will turn the page for ya’ looking innocent, ‘I’m not a girl you want, I’m not a debutante, I’m not a swan pretty in a pond’. ‘You are very feminist’ ‘I think that woring with Jack it’s made clear to me a lot that I am just a woman hanging on his success, and I’m touring with his band, it’s hard to argue, but I write all the songs, build the melodies with Jack and try and make sure it’s clear that talent can be hidden by yourself sometimes and it’s okay to have it, it’s not always easy to notice’. Jack smiled, ‘who was the church boy’ ‘it’s not my life, it’s my friends, my friend Lara, she’s a little wild, I like her for it’ Lucy shrugged, ‘I need some air’ ‘okay then’.

Jack sighed sitting with her, ‘I think you need to see someone’ ‘no, I need to get rid of twitter mate’ Jack laughing, ‘I’m alright, really, I just feel like the world is a little bit out to get me, it doesn’t matter how good or the nice things people say about out work, I am still just a woman hanging on to your coattails,I didn’t believe them when they talked about trolling, but they were underselling’ laughing together, ‘I’m going to come out swinging’ ‘good’ he grinned ‘I’ve learnt some covers if they ask, and they’re going to be killer’ ‘good’. Lucy smiled picking up her guitar for a cover session, ‘I’m going to cover a song by New Years Day, I’ve been listening to a lot of new things, this is I’m About To Break You’ Lucy smiled, Jack grinned, ‘just because I can, doesn’t mean that I will, but I’m about to break you..I’m about to break you’.

‘What is Allergies about?’ ‘It’s about falling in love with someone you can’t escape’ Jack laughing, ‘really, you?’ ‘Yes, this time, it’s about me’ she murmured, ‘I love that song it’s so honest and just pure and kind of dark’ Jack smiled, ‘kinda like the person really, sort of Burtonesque’ Lucy smiled talking and doing interviews. ‘I never did ask you how you wrote that song’ Jack murmured, Lucy smiled, ‘no you didn’t’ Lucy murmured, ‘please tell me’ ‘Jack, I’m allergic to you’ she shook her head laughing, ‘clearly not as obvious as I thought I was, that’s why we begun just making music, thought avoiding you would help, thought being more like you would help, nothing works, it’s all sht’ Jack laughing, ‘yeah, I know how you feel’ he grinned, ‘I think that friend of yours who set us up would be gloating right now’ Lucy laughed, ‘yeah’.

Jack ginned sharing a pizza with her, ‘thank you for being honest’ ‘I should have done it sooner, but I also don’t want you to think, oh, well, there’s so many awful things you can think, I don’t wanna give you ideas’ Jack laughing with her, ‘I don’t care, I’m in love with you’ ‘I’m sorry for how I’ve been, but I will make it up to you, learn to give you the best blowjob or something’ Jack laughing with her, ‘you are less of a prude now’ ‘I wonder why’ giggling, Jack grinned kissing her, Lucy gettng into it, ‘you’re a good kisser’ ‘thank you’ giggling, kissing again. Lucy chuckled as Jack rested on top of her, ‘I am in love with you Jack Barakat, I don’t care how bad it gets if you’re with me’ he beamed, ‘you know I’m going to marry you one day, we are stuck together’ ‘thank you’ kissing him, ‘I look forward to it, I feel like I’ve been melted in your sun’ he grinned, ‘mutual’.

Lucy smiled meeting fans and talking to them, ‘I think that we are still trying to find our thing, we’re lucky to have found a great drummer, I think I still wanna push my writing, I think I can do better’ she smiled, ‘you and Jack are so good together’ ‘thank you, he is literally my best friend, he’s made me a much better person, I don’t think you’d even know how much I’ve changed since knowing him and I think it’s mutual, I respect him as well, he’s a very underrated musician, in my humble opinion’. Jack hugged her tight, ‘you made me cry, I heard you talking about me’ ‘I’m sorry pumpkin’ he grinned kissing her hair, ‘don’t, my hair is disgusting, I need a really thorough shower’ Jack laughing, ‘why don’t you get a wash and blowdry, you have time’ ‘you are such a babe’ he grinned, ‘you earned it’ ‘I need to wash things out of my hair’ ‘haha’.

-x-

3 years later:-

‘I regret some things, I wish I had been honest as soon as I knew I loved my mow husband, cos I was so unhappy and I cut myself off and I wasn’t great without that, so I think yeah, me and decisions that are scary I am not good, it’s a good thing I don’t choose’ Jack laughing, ‘you have got better’ ‘I think now I’ve proven myself with Life’s Not Out To Get You I feel like I’m in a better situation, I know AP really liked it’ ‘I think you got your stripes and of course it’s the best record according to AP Jack’s been involved in’ ‘oh my God, that’s true, we are a consistent eight, this band we’ve always been ten, it’s mad’ laughing together. Jack grinned holding her hand, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ she smiled kissing him, ‘thank you’ ‘no need’ holding her close, ‘man, I was a mess, I’m glad I feel better now’ he grinned, ‘me too’ trailing, wondering.

Jack looked at her, ‘why are you being sick again?’ ‘Haha, you’ve not noticed when I am being sick?’ ‘Mornings, oh my God’ Lucy giggled, ‘it’s why we’re doing an acoustic EP, Jack, I can sit’ he grinned, ‘you’re pregnant’ ‘I was going to tell you when we got home, but you were being adorable as usual’ Jack laughing, ‘I am in love with you Mrs B’ she smiled, ‘I’m in love with you Mr B’ kissing him, ‘I’m very lucky to have you’ kissing him, he grinned, ‘we’re going to have amazing kids’ ‘come on, they’re made by us, of course’ laughing together, ‘right, well, you need rest and I need to take care of you’ ‘this is going to be a tough one’ Jack chuckled, ‘no, it’s not’ ‘I didn’t say obey’ he grinned, ‘I wish you bloody did right now’ laughing.