Status: For the glorious Princess Niknik~

Black Moth

Five

Three hours later, Naagpathi Saha was released from police custody. He left in a rush, huffing and growling about how it was all wasted time questioning him. Solum thanked the detectives and followed after his master.

Inspectors Kim Taewoo and Taehoon were obviously related, not just by their looks, but their mannerisms as well. As soon as the door slammed behind Naagpathi, they looked at each other from the corner of the eyes. Taehoon was younger by a few years and more freeing in showing his emotions. He openly cracked a disbelieving smile while Taewoo simply shook his head with a smirk placed on his lips.

“Does that guy not understand we’re trying to find his daughter?” Taewoo asked.

“I’m sure he does, but he was probably nervous, thinking we were going to pin him for something. That guy reeked of mob piss.” Taehoon shook his head. “Still, I hope we can find his daughter.” He turned back to the board where pictures of the victims and notes were already hung up. “Do we know who Shim Jiang belonged to?”

“As far as it looks, he was just a low-level junkie who did some low-level jobs for some other low-level, low-lifers. But…” Taewoo scratched at his chin. “This wasn’t random and there’s no way Shim could have taken out four highly trained men down on his own before getting shanked fifteen times.”

“This was a gang hit,” said Taehoon. “Another gang knew what was coming to our shore, saw an opportunity as leverage against a rising mob—come on, you know this Black Moth business—and abduct Saha's daughter. The question is: is Nikita Saha still alive?”

“I think so,” said Taewoo. “There’s a reason they didn’t just take her out. They’re gonna keep her around for something.”

--

When Naagpathi Saha came charging through the door, Jiseung’s men were quick to surround their leader. “You promised to keep us under protection!” Naagpathi snarled. “And my daughter missing does not prove your word!”

Jiseung stood from his seat and let out a sigh. Sungwoong remained seated, muscles tensed in preparation to step between his father and a threat. “I’m sorry to hear about your daughter. But-”

“Are you sorry?” Naagpathi snapped. “Do you think your words-”

Jiseung held up a hand to silence the Bengali man who was turning a dangerous shade of deep red. “Come with me.”

Naagpathi’s fists clenched, teeth gritted, but he still followed along behind the Korean mobster. “This arrived about an hour before you.” He led him out to the security’s front barracks, across the green lawn. “It showed up at the beginning of our driveway.”

They entered the smaller—a lot smaller—house. A corpse lay across the table. Solum recognized his missing guard immediately, despite the bruises and lacerations across his face. His suit was torn, revealing multiple knife wounds. He hadn’t been dead long.

“What am I supposed to do with this?” Naagpathi demanded, turning to Jiseung. “Another dead guard; that makes five. I don’t want my daughter being the sixth.”

While Naagpathi continued to yowl and spit like a feral cat, Solum began searching over his man. He checked his pockets first, then his empty holster. Then, he began running his hands over the body, searching for clue or threat. His hands came to a stop over the guard’s abdomen. Something square and flat lay underneath the bloodied shirt. Solum pulled the shirt hem up to reveal a long incision and the mysterious square right under the skin.

Naagpathi had stopped suddenly, eyeing the object as well. His eyes snapped to Solum and he demanded, “what is that?”

Solum said nothing and dug his fingers into the open incision, grasping the thin piece and pulling it free from underneath the skin. The plastic DVD case came free, bloodied. He held it up for his boss to see. “Looks like they left us a clue.”

Naagpathi’s face showed pure disgust.

Back inside the mansion, the DVD was placed in Jiseung’s computer with the images playing on the screen. At the sight of the first clip blinked onto the wall, Naagpathi’s eyes widened. Nikita was strapped to a chair, her mouth gagged and face bloodied. Standing beside her was a man in his mid-forties with dark hair falling in his eyes. Even from the grainy image, the craze in those large orbs was apparent. The video started playing.

“Naagpathi Saha,” the man raised his chin in defiance, a smile crossing his face, as he began in well-spoken English. “You don’t know me, but you will.” He grabbed the hair on top of Nikita’s head and pulled it back. He drew his face close and inhaled deeply. “You have a very pretty daughter, Mr. Saha, and I’d love to keep her around. And I will. You see, my name is Lee Byunghun—or Byunghun Lee, however you want to say it—I lead a clan of criminals that disappeared decades ago—supposedly. But we’re back. Double Dragon, is what we’re called.” The room went cold. “You may have heard of it, you may have not. But ask Park Jiseung and he’ll know exactly who we are.

My plan is to bring Double Dragon to the top, compete with the highest, and make it better than it ever was in the past. And Black Moth can help with that. So I’ll make this fast because I know you’re a busy man and Park will try his hardest to sway your opinion of me.” Jiseung’s jaw clenched and his eyes narrowed. “An alliance with Black Moth in exchange for your daughter’s life. As collateral, she will not be returned to you, but her safety will be continuously proved through our means. You have twenty-four hours to give me an answer from the time you get this video. Come to Jinsing’s Bar when you have your answer. If I don't hear from you, I have no use for loose ends.” And the video cut to black.

“So that makes twenty-three hours, I’m guessing,” said Jiseung, turning to Naagpathi. “You better think fast.”

Naagpathi’s fingers were steepled, pressing against the bridge of his nose. He sat in silence with all eyes in the room on him. The news seemed to have frozen him solid, yet no emotion showed on his face. Solum recognized the calculating look in his dark eyes and readied himself for the words about to be spoken into the silent air. Sungwoong was watching the mobster and got a similar vibe from the man.

Finally, Naagpathi moved. He separated his fingers and sat back in his chair, sighing as he did so. His fingertips drummed against the arm of his chair, mouth puckering in thought. “I have a deal of my own.”

Jiseung laughed. “I’m not sure this Lee Byunghun wants counter deals.”

“Not with Lee. With you.” When Naagpathi and Jiseung’s eyes met, electricity lit between them. “If you want to prove your loyalty to me and want my alliance, send your best men and bring my daughter back to me.”

Jiseung did not laugh at the sudden offer. His eyes only narrowed further until it looked like had completely closed him. “I see,” was all he said at first. “You’re asking me to sacrifice my own men to save your daughter.”

“I’m asking you to prove to me that this bond will be strong as steel. As bosses, we treat our members like family and that’s what our partnership should resemble as well. My daughter is your daughter. You have a daughter, don’t you, Park?” The way Naagpathi dropped the question held something sinister and Sungwoong’s hold on the arms of his chair tensed. “So do me this favor. By the sounds of it, Double Dragon isn’t very large and surely your men can take on a few pups to retrieve my daughter. What do you say?”

Sungwoong knew exactly what his father would say. Jiseung would provide his best men—his best man. So when his name was uttered, Sungwoong was immediately on his feet. At Naagpathi’s questioning glance, Jiseung explained, “my son is the best. He was trained from a young age to handle high-kill situations. This will be a walk in the park.” Jiseung smiled at his son.

Naagpathi did not seemed pleased with this answer. “You’re sending one man to save my daughter?” he growled, rising to his feet. “What do you think this? Some simple-”

“You yourself called these men ‘pups’ and didn’t seem to care much.”

“I said send your best men-”

“And I am,” Jiseung replied shortly. “Sungwoong is my best and he can handle this mission alone just fine.”

“If I can speak,” said Solum. “I ask to go as well.”

“It would be a dishonor for your boss as well as my father if you were to tag along.” Mobster son and head guard met eyes. Solum saw the cold relish behind Sungwoong’s black eyes and he relinquished his gaze first, more as a sign of reluctant respect.

“I apologize,” he muttered in Korean. “I meant no dishonor to you or your family.”

“Of course you didn’t,” said Sungwoong, popping his neck from side to side.

“Plus, this is Seven Star’s opportunity to prove their loyalty,” Naagpathi repeated slowly, eyeing Jiseung’s son down.

Sungwoong looked at Naagpathi and smiled. A smile that made Naagpathi’s stomach uneasy. “For the better of Seven Star, I will return Nikita to you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Birthday, Niknik!!