Status: current, attempting at least 1 update/week

All or Nothing

Three

The first few days proved to be the hardest for Mya and her pack, trying to reside with Luka and his wolves, They were all used to doing as they pleased in their home, a perfect harmony between the five of them. Kylie was awful at doing her dishes, but Harley did them for her, in exchange for the other girl sweeping and mopping. Raven, a night shift Peds nurse, stayed up all night, every night, and quiet hours began precisely at 7:30am, every morning for that reason. Mya worked middle shift, but was the one who liked to cook,, so dinners were a mess, sometimes occurring as a family, other times being a potluck of whatever leftovers happened to sit in the fridge.

But now suddenly, they had a whole other pack to accommodate, and Liam liked to be up early, blaring music as he exercised and scrubbed the house till it was spotless. Lisa liked to sleep in, but she was a vegetarian, and while she helped to cook, it was strange meals, often tofu and fake cheese that made Mya’s girls gag. Harmony, Mya had found, simply seemed to be doing anything that she thought would annoy the alpha, constantly bothering her and picking at her with comments just this side of a challenge. They tried, adapting to each schedule, and she was pleasantly surprised at how well they were all getting along, lifestyles aside. But it hadn’t been without a few scuffles and arguments, Mya or Luka stepping in to remind them they may not want to be, but that they were allies for now.

She was often surprised by him, how the alpha that radiated power and masculinity when she first met him, was so kind to his pack. He rarely gave any true orders, and was, despite his more apparent distaste for Harmony, always there for her after a rough night, or when she was being a drunken mess over him. He took Micah out to the woods, teaching him, and Mya came along sometimes. Keeping an eye on her allies, who could turn enemies ay any point, she told herself. But even she could admit it was nice, to have more than just the five of them in their mansion. It was good, to see the East wing used, gallons of paint being shuffled around as the other pack tried to make it feel like home; after approving each color with her of course. This pack wasn’t so different from her own, and it was a refreshing change. They had kept themselves isolated for a while now, tired of dealing with male alphas and entirely too much testosterone.

“Mya?” She turned, seeing Luka standing behind her in the yard, eyebrows pulled together, He looked worried, and she hoped nothing too serious was going on. “Are you ok?”

“Me? Of course Luka, Why?” She had had a long evening at work, a shooting down town bringing in three victims and a body, over what looked to be a drug deal gone bad. She was getting tired of the crime around her hospital, wishing just one or two nights they would take it easy.

“It’s four in the morning,” he pointed out, moving to sit beside her in the grass. He stayed to her side, so they each had enough room to lean against the massive oak in their back yard. “Thought everyone went out tonight, till they all got home and you weren’t with them. Have you been here all night?”

“Not just sitting. I took a walk,” she said, motioning towards the woods. One of the best parts of her transformation, she decided, was rarely having to fear going off on her own, at any time of night. She knew she could rip the throat out of any human that tried anything with her.

“Rough night?” he pushed, nudging his shoulder against her own.

“Yeah.” While she hadn’t minded him coming out to sit with her- his scent was calming after all, evergreen and calm and friendly alpha- she really was minding his sudden desire to chat.

“What happened?”

“Shooting.” Why wasn’t he getting the hint? Luka was rarely overly talkative, and whenever they were together, she found they often sat in comfortable silence. She hadn’t seen that frantic, fearful side of him since the night they met.

“You’re quiet tonight,” he told her, turning to face her. He nuzzled into her shoulder somewhat, taking in a slow breath. It was only as he exhaled she smelled alcohol, whiskey specifically, she thought. Though he hadn’t gone out, she figured he must have been enjoying some on his own.

“I’m tired, just can’t sleep. Luka, stop. You’re drunk,” she reminded him as he pressed his nose against her neck, breathing deep once again.

“”M not,” he protested. “I haven’t had that much. Wanna talk about your night?”

“Luka,” Mya snapped, getting annoyed. She pushed his head away from her so that he was sitting up against the tree again, pouting at her. “No, I do not want to talk about it. I do not want you sniffing me. If you’re sitting out here with me, sit quietly.”

“You smell good,” he told her, shrugging. “You don’t smell fragile. You smell like cinnamon, and spices, and alpha.”

“I am an alpha,” she reminded him, rolling her eyes. Be happy, she reminded herself. At least neither of them found the other’s scent repulsive, as she often did with alpha males. That would have made this alliance even harder. Luka grunted at her instead of responding, pushing himself off the tree. She was surprised, when instead of going inside, he scooted farther down, laying out in the grass, head pillowed on one of the roots pushing its way out of the ground.

Mya stayed outside for a while longer, enjoying the cool October evening. The breeze was warm, for the time of year at least, and she loved the chill it brought against her bare arms. Part of her debated waking Luka, as he snored quietly beside her, but she figured if she wasn’t terribly cold, he wouldn’t be either. Besides, he had whiskey warming him up right now.

It was easy, out here, with nothing but the breeze to make noise. Out here, there were no shootings in the bad part of town, no wolves abducting potential mates, no wolves inside her home struggling to coexist. There was no reason to remember just why she hated the alpha they were allied against. All she had to be concerned with was the occasionally owl calling in the darkness, branches crunching in the distant as foxes and squirrels scampered around.

It had taken months, before the foxes she could smell in the woods had dared to venture close tot heir home again after they moved in. She knew they were worried by the smell of wolf by their dens, of animals that nature had dictated were to be feared, and dangerous. Hearing them again, being able to enjoy animals coming into their yard, had been a welcome change.

“Luka,” Mya called, resting a hand against his shoulder, shaking it until he grumbled out a response. She made sure to keep her distance, hoping he wouldn’t startle too violently. When all he did was open he eyes and glare at her, she decided to count it as a win.”I’m going inside. Are you coming too?” Slowly, he nodded and pushed himself to his feet to follow her.