Status: current, attempting at least 1 update/week

All or Nothing

Six

“Mya, come back to me.” Cool hands were on her face, and when she forced herself to focus, she saw Harley’s crystal blue eyes staring back into her own. She took a few deep breaths, mirroring the ones she was taking, before her friend was satisfied and stepped back.

“Thanks, beautiful,” she said, nodding to assure Harley that she was ok. She was glad Luka and Liam were the only other ones in the room. Both were watching her as if she had sprouted a new limb, Luka half a step towards her but looking as though he had thought better of it.

“Anyway,” Mya began, staring Luka dead in the eye, “it was just a territory thing, not against your pack, or you would know it.”

“Are you-“

“Fine, Luka. Fine,” she insisted, the final syllable coming out as a growl. She was pleasantly surprised when he didn’t argue the point.

“What do we do?” Luka asked, still staring at her.

“Nothing. We don’t draw attention to ourselves; we don’t go after them. Not yet. They’ll destroy us.” Luka and Liam both frowned, glancing at each other before Liam growled and walked out of the room. Harley hesitated for a moment, before giving Mya a hug and then following after Liam.

“What happened?” Luka asked the moment they heard the back door shut. “You looked like you were having a panic attack.”

“It’s not your concern. It’s under control,” Mya told him, spinning on her heel. They weren’t discussing this.

“It is,” Luka hissed, grabbing her arm, “if it makes you catatonic for a second. What happens to us, if we’re in the middle of something with James and you blank out? You’re a liability.”

“Take. Your. Hand. Off,” Mya growled, turning to face him, chin up. She felt the power rushing through her, vision sharpening as her eyes flashed amber. Give me a reason, she thought, ready to destroy this alpha in front of her. She’d show him just how much of a liability she was.

“Then tell me I can trust you not to do that in the middle of a fight. Whatever happened with you and that pack, have you even seen them since? What if you choke?”

“Not a concern,” Mya assured him. “And I’m not a liability.” She twisted her body, yanking her arm out of his grasp and slamming a fist into his cheek in a single movement. He dodged, the blow glancing off, which only infuriated her more.

“Mya, Mya we’re not fighting,” Luka told her, voice quiet. “I’m sorry, I wasn’t-“ Mya ignored him, rushing forward again, dodging when he tried to catch her arm, and snaking out a leg instead. The hit landed hard against his pelvis, shoving him backwards. She saw it, his control snapping, as he stumbled, eyes narrowing. A quick breath in, and all she could smell was alpha, enemy.

Luka charged her, body coming so fast she hardly had time to stumble to the side. She ducked out of the way, spinning so her back wouldn’t be to him. By the time she had regained her footing, he was on her again, a fist coming straight for her face. She threw her arm up and he growled, using his other hand to yank it away, fist still coming. She winced, already expecting the impact as it crushed her cheekbone.

Mya forced herself to ignore the lights suddenly appearing around him and lunged forward, managing to land a hit of her own. She was still wondering what she had done wrong when he was on her, shoving her to the ground. A gasp choked out of her as her back slammed onto the hardwood floor, unable to catch her breath.

“Bastard,” Mya forced out, chest heaving, as she wrapped her legs tight around his waist, keeping as much control as she could with him between her legs, entire body covering her’s. She briefly wondered if he would be able to just smother her this way. He hesitated, arms braced on either side of his head, both of them gasping for air.

Luka moved, finally, trying to slide a hand around her throat and she smirked, shoving it to the side and kicking her legs up, getting herself into the perfect position to choke him. She twisted her hips, sliding into the right angle. His eyes went wide and she knew she was in, waiting for him to go limp, until Luka flailed with his other arm, landing a jab into her kidneys and using his bent legs to give him momentum. She loosened her grip on his neck just enough for him to turn his head, fangs sinking deep into her inner thigh. She yelled out at the pain washing over her, trying to stay focused on the wolf in front of her instead.

He pushed forward, flipping over her and pulling her into a somersault. Her legs loosened as she scrambled to regain purchase on the ground, both hands wound into the collar of his shirt to hang on. She was on her feet before she realized what had happened and shoved him back, opening up just enough space to land a solid kick to the joint at his knee, sending him to the ground with a grunt.

Luka tried to push himself to his feet and cursed as his leg crumbled under his weight. Mya found herself smirking, knowing she had won. She reached out, hands clawed, and wrapped her fingers around his throat. He was strong enough to keep her hand from closing tight enough to choke but she was able to slam her other fist into his temple. She shoved him back, using his lack of balance to send him onto his back and jumped on top of him, pounding punch after punch into his face. She could feel his nails against her skin, slicing through, and it only made her angrier.

“Mya!” Harley’s voice registered briefly in her mind, and suddenly she was being pulled back until she was sitting on her feet. She tried to shove the person holding her away, vaguely recognizing Harley leaning over her, speaking. Luka was back on his feet, surging towards her until Liam was there too, blocking his brother’s path. The rest of their packs filled in between them, each facing their new enemy, waiting to attack.

It took her another moment to focus on what Harley was still saying, her Beta holding onto her face, looking her over even as she tried to talk Mya down. Distantly, she could hear Liam doing the same, the line of wolves in the living room splitting, so that each pack was its own again.

Mya turned around and saw Luka was surrounded by his pack, Lisa resting her hand on her brother’s shoulder as Liam continued talking to him. Breathe, Mya reminded herself, making eye contact with Luka. It was a mistake, she knew it was, after such a fight, but she couldn’t stop herself. He tensed, snarling at her before pulling in a deep breath. Lisa laced her fingers through his and pulled him towards the backyard, both of his siblings still speaking.

“Mya, Mya you need to come upstairs,” Raven told her, eyes raking over her skin. “You’re a mess.” She nodded, allowing her girls to usher her up the stairs, leaning a good deal on Harley and the railing to make it up them. She could feel Raven behind her, a hand against her back to steady her. Kylie had rushed ahead to get her room ready, and Jamie stayed with Raven, extra strength in case Mya fainted.

She thought they were being ridiculous until she stumbled up a stair, room spinning around her. Her leg was cold, wet and her jeans were sticking to her skin. She could smell her own blood covering her, a little of Luka’s mixed in too. Mya was proud of herself, as she made it to the top of the stairs. She wanted to tell them, that she had done well, that she had kicked his ass, but before she could she felt the world around her turn black.