Status: Updates to come

ToMoRrow

Chapter 1

“I’m sure by the end of year, the entire staff of Hogwarts will thanking you,” Dumbledore said. Octavia regarded him, unconvinced. Fortunately, before he continued, Dumbledore was interrupted by a knocking at the office door. “Do come in, Minerva, Severus.”

Octavia turned to regard the two professors entering the Headmasters office. “Allow me introduce the newest member of our staff, Octavia Gardner,” Dumbledore announced before anyone had the chance to say a word. “Minverva McGonagall, my deputy headmistress, Professor of Transfigurations, and Head of Gryffindor House, and Severus Snape, Potions Master and Head of Slytherin.”

The former looked like she had stepped out a muggle Halloween picture with her pointed hat and spectacles. The latter was another story. Perhaps intimidating to some, Octavia had no worries. She was surprised when she was unable to enter his mind. She had met very few people skilled enough in Occlumency to resist her probing.

"Was there anything else you needed to discuss with Professor Gardner, Albus? Or have you covered everything?" McGonagall asked, barely sparing a glance for Octavia.

“No, I believe everything necessary has been discussed. Unless there was anything you needed to add?” Dumbledore looked at her intently, as if willing her to say more. “Well then, Severus, if you will kindly show Octavia to her chambers.”

“Certainly,” Snape said smoothly. If this was how he always spoke, maybe others didn’t find him quite so intimidating, Octavia thought to herself, following the man in black down the circular staircase.

“Considering we’re going to the dungeons, am I to assume we’re to wait on those endless staircases and fight through that mess?” Octavia asked testily, leaning over the bannister to observe the hundreds of students walking up and down the stairs, attempting to talk over one another. “Or do you have some easier way of getting down there?”

Snape raised an eyebrow at her. “I was going to show you another way, but if you insist on speaking like a spoiled fourth year, I will let you find your own way to your chambers. I’m sure you could make it there eventually.”

Octavia raised herself up, eyes flashing. “Fine. But I must warn you that if I’m to find my own way down those staircases, you’ll be going down the easy way; over the railing,” she threatened.

“Follow me then,” Snape snapped, turning on his heel after a moment. “And save that threat for the idiots you will be dealing with tomorrow when classes begin.”

Octavia managed to keep up with Snape, following his flowing black cape down several corridors and down several sets of stone, unmoving staircases. The temperature dropped considerably as they descended he castle. At least she would be comfortable down here. Octavia lost herself in her thoughts as they walked, her silent leader never turning to be sure she was still behind him. Maybe he was hoping he would lose her along the way.

“These are your chambers,” Snape announced as they reached a plain door set in the stone hallway. “Your office is the next door down, and the classroom beyond that. Should you for some reason need something of me, I am directly across from you.” Though said silkily, his tone implied that such a thing was not recommended.

“I’m sure I’ll be just fine,” Octavia responded shortly, letting herself into her room. “Until tomorrow, then.” Before Snape could add anything else, Octavia had shut the door on him.

She hadn’t meant to be so irritable, but the pain of her wrist didn’t do anything to improve her mood. Warding the door to be sure no one intruded, Octavia pushed up the sleeve of her right arm, exposing the tattoo circling her wrist. ToMoRrow. The pain had stopped for now, but she next time it came, she would wish she were dead. But for now, there was noting that could be done but sit and wait. And hope that ‘next time’ was a ways off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not a fan of this chapter, but it's just the first. The story will get better after this.

And comments are always appreciated.